Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 04:23 PM

8 posts, read 23,268 times

Advertisements

Regarding seasons - I have seen pictures via the internet in the hill country that have autumn looking leaves on trees. Seemed like it was near a lake ...

Here is something else to like about San Antonio - close enough to drive to the beaches for a day if you start early; too far inland to get tidal surges in hurricanes. Not likely to get caught in ice storms or snowed in. Good web sites for monitoring and checking water heights and flooding potential, with easy to interpret maps. No active earthquake faults. There is an old volcano over by Austin but I mean OLD OLD - just a lump on private land now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 02:27 AM

42 posts, read 221,600 times
Hi TexasNurse
We have recently started posting some questions about SA and our desire to move there. Some of my questions were about how good does SA pay it's people(salary wise) I am an RN in AZ; how is the pay there for a nurse? Are the hospitals good there? How about the insurance you can carry as a nurse for your family? Any info would be greatly appreciate it.
Connie and Frank

Old 10-05-2007, 08:10 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,870 times
Watercraft in Texas.....Before you bring your watercraft to Texas it would be a good idea to get familiar with all of the rules and regs. Here is a website that might be helpful.
Texas Parks & Wildlife Department | Welcome. It's the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. That's who you'll be dealing with if they have to explain the rules out on the water. It's best to avoid that if possible. We have a lot of great lakes and rivers. Be safe and have fun.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:27 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
I think one of the reasons San Antonio is so friendly is because there are a lot of military people here, who are coming and going. So a lot of people have been new here before. I am not military but I have just found people in general here really are welcoming. For me the only negative I can name other than what Sapphire said, is that the drivers here are very AGRESSIVE. I am still getting used to that. It baffles me that people are so kind but then you get on the road and get honked at if you actually go the speed LIMIT, key word being LIMIT. I love it here and it is a WONDERFUL city to raise a family in. We have a 17 month old. There is always something to do here. We moved here in January and have loved so much of what this city has to offer. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.
Aggressive drivers has NOT been my experience here, in fact quite the opposite. Many make it a habit to drive 10-15 miles UNDER the speed limit. The honking that you hear is probably transplants from other parts of the country where folks commonly drive the speed limit or better.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:21 AM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Aggressive drivers has NOT been my experience here, in fact quite the opposite. Many make it a habit to drive 10-15 miles UNDER the speed limit. The honking that you hear is probably transplants from other parts of the country where folks commonly drive the speed limit or better.
Funny you should mention honking. Last night I was waiting to turn left from Loop 1604 onto Potranco. The light turned green, but not the turn signal, but two cars behind honked at me anyway.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:06 PM

483 posts, read 1,563,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_is_tiger_woods View Post
Uh, not a lot of corporate headquarters? I don't even live there and I can tell you that you are wrong. Here's a nice list just to prove my point:
1). AT&T: the largest provider of both local and long distance telephone services, wireless service, and DSL Internet access in the United States.
2). USAA: In my opinion, the best financial service provider EVER.
3). ClearChannel Communications
4). Toyota Motor Company Texas
5). Valero Energy Corporation
6). Church's Chicken: I like chicken, so I had to list it.
...and many more corporations that are not headquartered in San Antonio but maintain a strong presence in the area. What do you expect? It's known for its laid-back atmosphere and its traditional roots...not its presence on Wall Street. If you want large corporations, go to New York, Houston, or Dallas. If you want big city convenience and small town living, then stay in San Antonio. Besides, can you really say no to the Spurs?
How could you forget H-E-B??

Old 10-05-2007, 08:12 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
How could you forget H-E-B??

San Antonio also has Valero Energy and Tesoro Energy both fortune 500.San Antonio is home to largest oil company in America.Bigger than Exxon, Mobil, etc.Valero Energy is the largest oil refining company in America.
Boeing also has a large presence in San Antonio.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:23 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,775,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieandFrank View Post
Hi TexasNurse
We have recently started posting some questions about SA and our desire to move there. Some of my questions were about how good does SA pay it's people(salary wise) I am an RN in AZ; how is the pay there for a nurse? Are the hospitals good there? How about the insurance you can carry as a nurse for your family? Any info would be greatly appreciate it.
Connie and Frank
ConnieandFrank.... ( I still giggle everytime I see or type your name... haha)
Here is a site where you can get salary figures for probably every occupation and level within each....
(it used to be better in my opinion; you used to be able to choose your job title, then type in your CURRENT zip and salary; the calculator would then give the comp salary in that location. Now it is a little different; I tried it out on my profession however (the new calculator) and it seemed accurate....

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 09-12-2018 at 06:59 AM..

Old 10-06-2007, 01:07 AM

32 posts, read 130,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
San Antonio also has Valero Energy and Tesoro Energy both fortune 500.San Antonio is home to largest oil company in America.Bigger than Exxon, Mobil, etc.Valero Energy is the largest oil refining company in America.
Boeing also has a large presence in San Antonio.
Yes, San Antonio does have a few (a very few) major corporations headquartered there. However, compared to other large cities in Texas (most notably Dallas and Houston) the city is lacking TREMENDOUSLY. Please do not try and act as though SA has the same economic infrastructure as these two established cities.

It's just not on the same level.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:27 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna and David View Post
Regarding seasons - I have seen pictures via the internet in the hill country that have autumn looking leaves on trees. Seemed like it was near a lake ...

Here is something else to like about San Antonio - close enough to drive to the beaches for a day if you start early; too far inland to get tidal surges in hurricanes. Not likely to get caught in ice storms or snowed in. Good web sites for monitoring and checking water heights and flooding potential, with easy to interpret maps. No active earthquake faults. There is an old volcano over by Austin but I mean OLD OLD - just a lump on private land now.
There is a super little paperback book called "Day trips from San Antonio" that is really neat for planning weekend type of get aways...everything from Mexico to the coast to the hill country to beautiful campgrounds, etc. I think that kinds sums up the very wonderful area that we call home...lots to do and not enough weekends to get it all enjoyed!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio