Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 05:27 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,884,909 times

Advertisements

LiveLeak.com - How To Direct Traffic In Iraq
I stole this from another posting on here. It works for me.
check it out.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:27 PM

874 posts, read 2,893,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilantro View Post
My biggest peeve is people who have every opportunity to see the Transguide or other sign telling them there is a lane closure ahead, but they still drive all the way up to the obstruction and force their way into my lane. Of course, then my lane gets more and more backed up as more and more of these *******s butt their way in instead of waiting like the rest of us. I usually refuse to let them in unless I am feeling very laid-back that day, which doesn't usually happen.
Ahhh... This is because THEY are more important than everyone else who is driving (these are the same people who park their shopping cart in the middle of the aisle in the grocery store so no one else can get around it or stop in the middle of a sidewalk/walkway in a mall to answer the cell phone, dig around in a purse, or carry on a conversation with a companion because they are the only people in the world - they do not realize that anyone else exists).

Although I have encountered many annoying/rude/distracted drivers here (such as the woman in the minivan talking on her cell phone who almost sideswiped me TWICE in the space of about 3 minutes), I have come across many more drivers who are considerate and who seem to understand that we all have places to go and it would be easier for everyone to get where they are going if we cooperate and help each other out.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:27 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,775,268 times
Okay, I should never have opened this thread; someone else said they needed to leave because their blood was boiling..... ROFLMAO.....
I have - in recent years - turned into a screaming banshee behind my wheel, with all the windows rolled up, a/c going.... I find it necessary to tell every single driver just exactly how mentally challenged they are, screaming at times.... they can't hear me, don't even really see me, but boy oh boy I really give it to them...
Now, having said that.... in Ohio, in -mmmmm- I THINK 2003, I was heading up a state route early in the morning, heading to my job that was nearly 60 miles from home..... 2 lane highway, with green median, hilly in spots....
I see a HP cruiser coming south, but don't spot him until he's nearly parallel with me; I HAD to apply the brake in order to slow my car just a teeny bit....
(Mind you, insurance company doesn't really know that my new job is having me on the road 5 days a week, 120 miles roundtrip.) The cruiser flips a U in the median (the only driver allowed to do this)... I tap my brakes - well fairly vigorously really- and he was sure to have seen it.... He pulls me over, of course, tells me I was doing 79 in a 55mph zone.... (I don't doubt it for a minute)... he gives me A WARNING!!!!! I"m telling you, had he asked, I would have done some real kinky stuff on the side of the road for him, and I'm NOT that kind of girl.....!!!! (just kidding about the kinky stuff, but.... I would have THOUGHT about it.... )
Soooo... for the rest of my commute time for that job, I set the car on cruise control, roughly 3-5 miles over speed limit, stayed in the Right lane, unless I had to pass someone or had another reason to BRIEFLY be in the fast lane......
If people behind me started riding my a**, I stayed right on the cruise control.... My feeling was, you wanna go faster? Get in the left lane and go around me.... You wanta pay my auto insurance and any fines I might accumulate while accomodating you? THEN and only then will I consider speeding up for you when there is an entire lane over there where you can slip past me in a flash.....
I drove like that for about three years, and I was never late, always arrived everywhere right on time..... was less stressful and I never got stopped again....
I had a bumper sticker printed: WHEN YOU PAY MY INSURANCE, I'LL SPEED UP FOR YOU... but I don't like messing up cars with bumper stickers, so I never USED it, but still.......
I don't really drive like that here in Texas.... I can't believe 70mph highways!!! and signs that say: DON'T SLOW DOWN TEXAS... or something to that effect....
so am I bad?

Old 08-25-2007, 07:52 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
I've always said I'm going to slow down and try to relax on the road, but it never lasts more than about two minutes... the strange part, though, is I will actually drive under the speed limit if there is nobody around me, so I guess I have some strange mental disorder that makes me not like being around other drivers. Good example would be driving west on 90 a few weekends ago. I was outside 1604 heading to Uvalde and kept slowing down to 60-65 because nobody was around me. I really wish every drive could be like that was. Nobody around and no urge to go fast just to get off the road.. San Angelo was also like that. Big huge roads with nobody on them, I never got mad on the road in the almost 1 year I lived there.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:42 AM

140 posts, read 508,752 times
Driving here in San Antonio is crazy to me! I just moved from Vegas and thought that place was nuts, but i think that alot of people must've followed me here because I am always seeing crazy stunts that vegas drivers usually pull! I try to take the surface roads here, I just hate highways and freeways and all the traffice moving fast. I have kids in the car with me also and get very frustrated at the tailgating, traffic, construction and so on!

Old 08-27-2007, 09:59 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
This doesn't appear to be a San Antonio problem only, as this thread indicates...

Old 08-28-2007, 09:17 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,819,123 times
I think this news article applies to some of us here (yeah, me too sometimes)

MySA.com: Public Safety (broken link)
SAPD using 'stealth' cars to catch aggressive drivers

Old 08-29-2007, 03:25 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
a girl I used to work with got pulled over by one of these because she was tailgating him on 410
gotta be one of the funniest driving stories ever and from the sounds of it he wasn't happy with her at all...

Old 12-28-2009, 08:19 PM

7 posts, read 48,902 times
I drive through San Antonio fairly often and plan my trip so that I'm not in the way during the rush hours. I usually go thru on US 90 and I-10 going east, most of the traffic is moving at 65 to 70 mph and travel is usually smooth. But, you can bet there is always someone who wants to drive 80mph or more and they are moving in and out out traffic, taking chances. They mess up the flow of traffic by causing people to step on their brakes and make room for them. Actually, I'm always glad when they get out of the way and traffic smooths out again. I try to drive the speed that traffic is traveling at, most of the time it's close to 70 or a little over and I feel safe.

A lot of people on this thread seem to be some what angry when people get in their way, I feel that being angry makes you more dangerous then the drivers your angry at, keep your cool you'll live longer. I am one of those older drivers, but so far I feel confidant to drive the freeways.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:42 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Here's mine:

Going south on I-35 from Schertz
1/2 mile after passing 1604 (by Live Oak) the highway gets an extra lane on the right side.
I swear that I have passed about 20 cars in 1/2 a mile on that right lane doing the speed limit, while the cars on the left lane are doing about 10 under the speed limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio