Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:21 AM

10 posts, read 19,188 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband will be stationed in Fort sam houston soon.
We are looking for a rental home around the area, and found one in converse (i think its Meadowbrooke, Beaxar county).

I checked crime rates in convers but where I found a home is not east side of convers which is safer area than west side of converse.

I saw pictures of the neighbor but they look very nice to me..
I live on base housing in FL now but outside of this base is pretty bad..
so compare to where I live... looks very decent and nice houses in converse.
I am not from the U.S. so can't really compare to other places

We do not any children so we are not worried about schools and stuff.

Is that area good to live?? please give me advice!

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 11:53 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,739,577 times
We looked at Meadowbrook when we were moving two years ago. The houses were okay looking but all of the ones we looked at had foundation issues...either past repairs or were in need of repairs. That might not matter much to you if you're renting but it keeps doors from closing right sometimes and toilets from flushing right depending on the angle of the lean. Also, it seemed like all the fences in the neighborhood were falling down and there was something weird about the way water moved through the streets when it rained...seemed like parts of the streets had sunken.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:36 PM

10 posts, read 19,188 times
thanks for the info...

we was gonna rent that house before we move but i guess we should just wait till get there...

Old 10-19-2011, 10:56 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,331,642 times
I wouldn't move to that area, just me...

Old 10-19-2011, 01:14 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,739,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I wouldn't move to that area, just me...
That was actually how I felt about it too after looking there but there didn't seem to be any stats to back up my feeling, just didn't like the looks of lots of the people walking around the neighborhood.

There's a neighborhood across the street from there, I think it's Ventura 2, that looks really bad...houses tagged, boarded up, furniture in the front yards and it wasn't bulk pickup time, etc.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:16 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,786,427 times
I was kinda reluctant to post this because it's been a while since I worked that area. Meadowbrook was a Rayco subdivision and as such, the build quality was as low as possible and still pass VA standards. The last time I was in there which was about 7 years ago, the Sheriff would stop all incoming traffic and check you for a gun. If you didn't have one, they gave you one. If you want something a little more high end to rent, check out Northampton, just don't buy a house there- foundation issues come with every one of them.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:35 PM

615 posts, read 1,517,223 times
If you enjoy driving past dirty diapers and garbage, mattresses thrown to the side of the road, signs for lawyers to get you that Social Security disability check you deserve, numerous fast food chains, and a football stadium larger than my wifes college stadium, Converse might be for you.

Then again, we've had our cars vandalized 3 times, our neighbor up the street openly sells drugs at the bottom of our street, we've had a drunk driver drive into the kiddie park twice, and our daughter is one of 9 students listed as "white" in the entire school.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:47 PM

93 posts, read 94,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
If you enjoy driving past dirty diapers and garbage, mattresses thrown to the side of the road, signs for lawyers to get you that Social Security disability check you deserve, numerous fast food chains, and a football stadium larger than my wifes college stadium, Converse might be for you.

Then again, we've had our cars vandalized 3 times, our neighbor up the street openly sells drugs at the bottom of our street, we've had a drunk driver drive into the kiddie park twice, and our daughter is one of 9 students listed as "white" in the entire school.
Jeez. How long have you lived there? Did you research the area before moving there...or did it start out nice and go downhill..like the rest of San Antonio?

Old 10-19-2011, 07:19 PM

323 posts, read 826,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koipi View Post
Hi,
My husband will be stationed in Fort sam houston soon.
We are looking for a rental home around the area, and found one in converse (i think its Meadowbrooke, Beaxar county).

I checked crime rates in convers but where I found a home is not east side of convers which is safer area than west side of converse.

I saw pictures of the neighbor but they look very nice to me..
I live on base housing in FL now but outside of this base is pretty bad..
so compare to where I live... looks very decent and nice houses in converse.
I am not from the U.S. so can't really compare to other places

We do not any children so we are not worried about schools and stuff.

Is that area good to live?? please give me advice!

thanks
I was in your same situation 5 years ago. I was getting re-assigned to Ft Sam, and was looking to rent for a while. We ended up renting a house for two years in Ventura Heights, which is in front of Meadowbrook.

I would not recommend that area to you. There was a lot of through traffic through the neighborhood. It was quite common to see people of questionable integrity walking around at all hours. We had some flower pots and planters stolen from our front porch in broad daylight. I saw it happen, but by the time I ran downstairs, they drove off, and I was unable to get the license plates.

Not sure what your budget is, or how much of a commute your husband wants to deal with, but I would recomment the Schertz/Cibolo area. There are quite a few newer neighborhoods there, with a wide varity of prices. Many people that work at Ft Sam make that commute. It would be about 20 minutes w/o traffic, 30 with. Maybe take a look into those areas.

By the way, is your husband assigned to Ft Sam, or the hospital? I've been at the hospital for 5 years, so I may be able to help with any questions about the place.

Good Luck!

Old 10-19-2011, 08:42 PM

615 posts, read 1,517,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonehoner View Post
Jeez. How long have you lived there? Did you research the area before moving there...or did it start out nice and go downhill..like the rest of San Antonio?
Hindsight is that, hindsight. We had only a few days to pick a place to live. I guess there's a reason we found an incredibly nice house for so cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio