Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 09:32 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,506,670 times

Advertisements

About 8 weeks ago I was on I-10W by Woodstone around 4:00 p and a p/u passed me. Soon, a mattress came flying off the p/u. I saw it coming and was able to slow right down. It landed in the left lane next to me. I saw in my side mirror a motorcycle coming. Before I had a chance to roll down my window, he hit the mattress. He dropped the bike and rolled onto the pavement. Thank God the traffic behind us had stopped, so he was not hit. The p/u stopped on the shoulder up the road and two guys were walking back toward the stopped traffic. I had passed a parked police car a short ways back, and they were there right away, once they saw the stopped traffic. I don't believe the cyclist was injured, Thank God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 11:51 AM

20 posts, read 39,899 times
The i-10 mattress accident was the worse traffic backup I've ever been in. I got stopped about a 1/2 mile before medical and I was litterally parked on the highway for an hour an 10 minutes. Everyone had their car shut off and people were walking around, it was bad! Eventually they opened the left shoulder and all four lanes had to merge over to the left shoulder..It was aweful! But thank goodness the driver was ok, because when I was driving by the semi it was completely melted.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:05 PM

108 posts, read 196,520 times
When I last bought a mattress, my friend and I loaded it in his truck with the tailgate down. Their mattress delivery guy told us to leave the tailgate up so the mattress wouldn't lay flat (and of course tie it down, as we had planned). Apparently when laid flat, negative air pressure created from the trucks aerodynamics lets air get underneath causing it to get sucked out the backend. He said a lot of people come back to buy another one. Ultimately, it probably doesn't really matter how it's loaded as long as it's properly tied down across ALL four sides.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:50 PM

108 posts, read 196,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
About 8 weeks ago I was on I-10W by Woodstone around 4:00 p and a p/u passed me. Soon, a mattress came flying off the p/u. I saw it coming and was able to slow right down. It landed in the left lane next to me. I saw in my side mirror a motorcycle coming. Before I had a chance to roll down my window, he hit the mattress. He dropped the bike and rolled onto the pavement. Thank God the traffic behind us had stopped, so he was not hit. The p/u stopped on the shoulder up the road and two guys were walking back toward the stopped traffic. I had passed a parked police car a short ways back, and they were there right away, once they saw the stopped traffic. I don't believe the cyclist was injured, Thank God.
I learned to distance myself from vehicles carrying anything a long time ago. When I was a kid a ladder flew out of a truck directly ahead of me. Fortunately it was attached to a rope so I didn't hit it, but it made a lasting impression. Since then I've seen too many things on the highway: mattresses, couches, tv's, tables, chairs, and another ladder. As a former motorcyclist, I tried to keep as great a view of the road ahead as possible.

I wonder if the mattress cushioned the riders fall, he probably flew over it. Glad that he was okay.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:10 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Everything should be secured. Ladders, luggage, mattresses, etc. I was rear ended on 410 and Callaghan a while back while trying to avoid hitting a ladder in my lane. There ended up being 4 cars in the accident total. And it was a Friday during rush hour. Ugh. A mess.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:23 AM

581 posts, read 1,187,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Everything should be secured. Ladders, luggage, mattresses, etc.

I agree. And having the driver and passengers holding said item in place with their hands does not count! Saw that the other day. Driving down 90 and a little Civic-like car had, you guessed it, a mattress on top. Passed me doing about 80 since I was at around 70. Either they were going to lose an arm or the whole vehicle was going to go airborne.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:20 PM

19 posts, read 34,466 times
I had a washer fall off a truck right in front of me on the freeway. Thankfully it slid into the shoulder.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:09 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,593 times
Default Remember This?

There were tow guys hauling a mattress on a pickup truck one driving and
the other secured the mattress-piled up top of a bunch of other stuff-
by riding on the top of the stack of things letting his body weight
secure the mattress.
Wrong!!!! No common sense, the wind caught the mattress and he and the mattress securer( sitting on top) both went flying out and into the air.
Killed he was, of course.
I was riding south on 36 to S.A. going about 75 mph when i saw a mattress fly straight up around 75 feet -out of the back of a pickup-around 5 cars between us. It was an astonishing site, wondering when and where it would land.
I have seen these sites many times during my travels. Once a semi-traailer truck tire cam straight toward me and my two oldest boy,aged 8 and five at the time.
Out of nowhere too , there was no truck around anywhere in sight.
Anyway, here this huge tire comes directly at us , I slowed
and swerved to avoid the huge tire.
Right in the middle of the cotton fields in Arkansan.
Another time in 1972 an MG Midget lost one of its' pathetically small spoked
wheels from the right front of the car. It began pasing the car under its; own Power.
Well, their was a tall skinney walking along Hemphill Rd.-south near broadview
Dr. At first he did notice the tire but then could have heard it but at any rate
the guy looked at that tire once and began to run like hell- the tire after him at thirty miles per hour.
Wel this went on and the guy turned into a vacant lot-well the tire turned inwith him so he finally sidestepped and the tire webt by hin,,
and the tta
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga29 View Post
I agree. And having the driver and passengers holding said item in place with their hands does not count! Saw that the other day. Driving down 90 and a little Civic-like car had, you guessed it, a mattress on top. Passed me doing about 80 since I was at around 70. Either they were going to lose an arm or the whole vehicle was going to go airborne.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:47 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,678 times
Amazing, isn't it, how many people have the intelligence of a mattress.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:28 AM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,863 times
When hauling anything even a few miles in the back of a pickup, tie it down as securely as the pros would recommend in a case where you would be traveling across the country with it. It's just as likely to fly off the first mile as would on the 1000th mile. Otherwise, if you don't want to do that, pay for delivery. And of course, stay under the speed limit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio