Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 02:54 PM

487 posts, read 991,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex22 View Post
I was let go because I didn't meet the 7 car minimum sales quota, since then I've been unemployed looking for work that doesn't have to do with sales.
Sorry to be so bluntly honest, but you are presenting yourself as an ineffective, unmotivated sales person. Seems like you are geting back into sales just because you have no other option. You'll be miserable and should not do it.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:08 PM

810 posts, read 1,425,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul56 View Post
It is all about marketing and knowing how to deal with the customer.
Actually, marketing supports sales which is a totally different function than sales. Good marketing can help close sales. Sales and marketing should be inline and on the same page – speaking the same language.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:11 PM

810 posts, read 1,425,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
This is also one job where your age may work against you. Lots of people don't want to buy something major from someone a lot younger than them, and people near your age don't always have the money to buy a new car from a dealership.
I would have to agree with that in general and it will also depend on what kind of cars he is selling. If it is the luxury market, the odds are against him. I have not come across too many early twenties selling luxury brands. But if you are a confident and good sales person, you can sell just about anything. It also helps to believe in what you are selling as well because that shows authenticity and passion.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:09 PM

11 posts, read 89,748 times
Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I'm gonna skip out on this sales job, this was one of a few opportunities I have right now, I've been job searching like crazy looking for anything this past year and a half (unemployed almost two years, the first 6 months after I lost my sales job my health got really bad, which was one of the reasons why my performance suffered there, so I couldn't even look for work.)

Luckily though I got a call back from another company for overnight work, I'm gonna go ahead and work on landing that job and continue my plans to save up for college and go into the medical industry and finally get to a real career that I enjoy.

Thanks again, I just wanted some of ya'lls opinions on this. If the economy was better I would definitely try sales again, I did enjoy it and felt like I was a good salesmen, had plenty of guys bummed out that I was let go, told me I had a lot of potential to be a great salesman, which meant a lot to me since they've been in the industry for 20-30 years. Maybe if I didn't get sick I would still be working there, oh well.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:49 AM

67 posts, read 96,943 times
Quote:
I disagree with the blanket statement that sales staff are not supplied with vehicles... as that is not the case in all dealerships. I'm not going to argue this point... as I know from personal experience... and no not as a car sales person.
No they are not supplied with a vehicle for personal use, why because the insurance would cost to much and it puts a huge liability on the dealership. That's why only a few dealers allow GM's and Upper Management to have Demo Cars...

Some dealers might give you a car allowance towards your monthly payment after you have been there 3+ years. I know Acura does since they have an employee program.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:07 PM

418 posts, read 784,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06Girly View Post
No they are not supplied with a vehicle for personal use, why because the insurance would cost to much and it puts a huge liability on the dealership. That's why only a few dealers allow GM's and Upper Management to have Demo Cars...

Some dealers might give you a car allowance towards your monthly payment after you have been there 3+ years. I know Acura does since they have an employee program.
As I said... I am not going to argue the point however I stand by it
very strongly.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:01 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Quote:
As I said... I am not going to argue the point however I stand by it very strongly.
Careful ya don't get run over.... Have a cousing that's GM for a major dealership in SA - said he doesn't know of ANY dealership in SA that provides new salesmen w/demo units any more. Says SOME will for their "top shelf" types - but even those are VERY rare any more.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:02 PM

67 posts, read 96,943 times
Quote:
As I said... I am not going to argue the point however I stand by it very strongly.
Um OK.

Taking home a car from dealer doesn't mean YOUR given a demo, if your able to catch me drift...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck
Careful ya don't get run over.... Have a cousing that's GM for a major dealership in SA - said he doesn't know of ANY dealership in SA that provides new salesmen w/demo units any more. Says SOME will for their "top shelf" types - but even those are VERY rare any more.
LOL...

Old 10-22-2011, 05:35 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,775,152 times
I have no idea about SA dealers but I know of a dealer-owner in NM who is a friend of the family that lets his salesmen take home demo cars from time to time as an award for meeting or exceeding sales goals.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:40 PM

204 posts, read 336,204 times
Well, if you go for it.. Here's a hint: BE KNOWLEDGEABLE ABOUT WHAT YOU'RE SELLING!

I've never once walked onto a dealership and encountered a salesman who could tell me anything I didn't already know about a car. Hell, most of them just lie or are straight up wrong and assume I don't know any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio