Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 07:41 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,002 times

Advertisements

Concering the 7 Car Quota......Is that per week or month???

Old 10-22-2011, 08:46 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I have no idea about SA dealers but I know of a dealer-owner in NM who is a friend of the family that lets his salesmen take home demo cars from time to time as an award for meeting or exceeding sales goals.
Yeah - that's a "reward" type deal - big difference in the daily-use type demo's. That WAS done years back, but no longer.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:51 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
Concering the 7 Car Quota......Is that per week or month???
Place I was at, it was 6/month.

An earlier comment was made about *knowing* the product line - you are absolutely correct! It's funny - I was considered the dealership "expert" on every car model we had, simply because I took the time to study the material and go out and actually get "hands on" with the cars and find all the little hidden features.

Most fun I had was when I branched out to the Hummers...what no one knew was that I'd studied THEM, too. Salesman was out one Saturday, guy came in "just looking" - talked 'em into lettin' me demo one for him....came back and sold him on one of our "old stock" units - now, THAT was a nice bonus!!! From then on, I was allowed to sell 'em if I had someone interested.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:53 PM

What kind of money would a Salesman make on 7 cars / trucks (30,000.00 average) ?

I'm certain they would get a base salary....

Old 10-23-2011, 01:56 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:
What kind of money would a Salesman make on 7 cars / trucks (30,000.00 average) ?
Depends on what brand you're selling.

Quote:
I'm certain they would get a base salary....
LOL. No. You're entitled to minimum wage if you don't sell enough to make the equivalent amount of money, but that's a great way to get fired.♦

Old 10-23-2011, 01:57 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex22 View Post
Hey y'all. Quick background...

I worked in car sales at my last job almost two years ago, I was let go because I didn't meet the 7 car minimum sales quota, since then I've been unemployed looking for work that doesn't have to do with sales.

Now I've been thinking a lot about getting back into car sales. There's an opportunity at a really big dealership by Northstar mall, 600+ inventory, company car, benefits etc. I know I have all the ingredients to be a great car salesman, if I didn't think that I wouldn't be giving this thought.

Now I just want some advice from y'all. I know the economy is rough, but you can still make money if you know what to do, especially at such a large dealership. Should I give this another shot?

I'm 22 years old btw, I'm really aching to get back to work and get some money, I'm hungry.
I started selling cars at 22.

Made it up to dealer principal/General Manager.

Sold 20 cars a month from jump street with no prior sales ability, only a great enthusiastic attitude.

You have to love what you do or you will fail.

Every dealership, regardless of their size, has guys making great money and other who fail.

YOU control your outcome.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06Girly View Post
No they are not supplied with a vehicle for personal use, why because the insurance would cost to much and it puts a huge liability on the dealership. That's why only a few dealers allow GM's and Upper Management to have Demo Cars...

Some dealers might give you a car allowance towards your monthly payment after you have been there 3+ years. I know Acura does since they have an employee program.

That's false. Many dealerships give salespeople demos. It's a policy of the dealership as to how that works.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:32 PM

If you are making minimum wage as a Base Salary it sounds like you're headed to the Poor House if you can't sell cars / trucks.
As far as commission goes is there an average percentage out there??

Old 10-23-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
If you are making minimum wage as a Base Salary it sounds like you're headed to the Poor House if you can't sell cars / trucks.
As far as commission goes is there an average percentage out there??

Commission percentage varies. When I was with GM, the dealerships were between 15% and 30%, depending on what you sold.

With luxury cars, it was only about 12%, but off a much higher gross.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:42 PM

890 posts, read 1,849,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grf430 View Post
Well, if you go for it.. Here's a hint: BE KNOWLEDGEABLE ABOUT WHAT YOU'RE SELLING!

I've never once walked onto a dealership and encountered a salesman who could tell me anything I didn't already know about a car. Hell, most of them just lie or are straight up wrong and assume I don't know any better.
Agreed, I do a lot of research before going to look at cars. I shouldn't find myself in the lot explaining things to the salesman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio