U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 05:45 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,908,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Congrats to Nu Star for being the best but I want to hear from our bloggers what is the worst. Please be professional in your answer.

I hear good things about NuStar as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 05:46 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,023,821 times
I'm no longer employed with Allied Barton. They are the worst company I've ever worked with. They would NOT give you a lunchbreak AT ALL when working 12 hour shifts.

Legally, in Texas they don't have to...yes, even if you work 12 hour shifts. I would work for them from 6 am to 6pm and I would not EVEN get a 15 minute break! Nada! Zilch! Zip!

They would call you on your days off and badger you about filling up some shifts and they would tell you that "if you want extra hours" to call us back. They wouldn't tell you, until they got on the phone with you, that it's a graveyard shift even if means that you are going to pull a double. They wouldn't care whether you got sleep or not.

They also wouldn't PAY YOU FOR EXTRA TIME THAT YOU WORKED (not overtime, just extra work time).

For more than half a year, I worked for them and I was ONLY paid until a certain time. When the "workers" who I was security for, would stay late, Allied Barton DID NOT PAY FOR ANY EXTRA TIME YOU WORKED.

Almost 75% of the time where I was contract security, the workers would stay later to count the money, I was supposed to leave at a certain time and get paid to that time only. Maybe once or twice a week, the workers were ready to go at they time they were supposed to be ready to leave, but most of the time, I had to stay later and I wasn't paid for that extra time.

To be fair, I will say that it really "depends" on the contract that you get and the client that you work for. So not all of Allied Barton is bad, but in general, most security companies just want a body and could care less about you and your pay or your hard work.

It's a shame too because I met some really good people who were treated like crap by the company and even the client too. Some of them were former police officers, and a few of them military veterans too like the guy who served overseas for several years for recent tours and he came back to work for less money than I was making with Allied Barton. He made $8.55 an hour. I made $9.00 an hour when I worked for them a few months back.

I left them and security work for GOOD and I'm making three dollars more with my new job which is so much better.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:51 PM

You have to remember its what you put into it as well. I have worked with people that did not do anything, or did minimal and complained about their job. Of course they are going to hate it, they are not motiviated.
Leaving those who work to pick up their slack.

With that said - some SA businesses have awesome employees with awesome work ethic.

Some companieos I am impressed with personally

HEB
Krispy Kreme
Chick Fil A - My pleasure! It must be in the requirements to say this, but they do it so sincerely!
Alamo Drafthouse
James Avery
Gabriels Liquor

Places that make me say what...

Texas A&M University San Antonio
Lowes
Wal Mart

Old 10-23-2011, 06:45 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,483,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
Places that make me say what...

Texas A&M University San Antonio
Can you give more insight into A&M SA? That's my alma mater...just curious.
I got one crazy professor once...he's no longer there.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:53 PM

615 posts, read 1,329,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I would say working for a DoD contractor would be the worst job. You have two entities you have to make happy, and both will throw you under the bus for the other.
This is only true if you're working directly with the Gov. component. The truth is, DoD contractors live and die by the contract. If the program you're working on doesn't get renewed, neither does your employment

Old 10-23-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Can you give more insight into A&M SA? That's my alma mater...just curious.
I got one crazy professor once...he's no longer there.
I am guessing I know the professor you speak of but I really enjoyed him. He was a wealth of knowledge though quite a bit excentric!

I sent you a private message.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:21 PM

108 posts, read 164,515 times
I think my comment about NuStar sounds misleading. My friend liked NuStar, but left for reasons unrelated to job satisfaction. When I said it wasn't best for them, I meant it in the sense that their employment needs at the time (whatever they were) could only be obtained elsewhere. Sorry if my post sounded negative.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novistana View Post
I think my comment about NuStar sounds misleading. My friend liked NuStar, but left for reasons unrelated to job satisfaction. When I said it wasn't best for them, I meant it in the sense that their employment needs at the time (whatever they were) could only be obtained elsewhere. Sorry if my post sounded negative.
That makes sense, not every job is going to work for every person regardless of what others say.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:23 PM

522 posts, read 993,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
This is only true if you're working directly with the Gov. component. The truth is, DoD contractors live and die by the contract. If the program you're working on doesn't get renewed, neither does your employment
it also depend on who your contractor is as well. some are great to work for, some make you want to rip your own teeth out (like the one my huz used to work for).

Old 10-23-2011, 10:36 PM

7,002 posts, read 10,295,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
I'm no longer employed with Allied Barton. They are the worst company I've ever worked with. They would NOT give you a lunchbreak AT ALL when working 12 hour shifts.
It's the same at all security companies. If it is appropriate for you to eat at your post and you're not working with a crew of guards where someone can take your place, you will not get a lunch break. I did have to badger AlliedBarton for unpaid work because the "head guard" at the site made the night shift workers come in 15min. early to do an initial round. AlliedBarton did not know that he was doing this, it was illegal, and they paid another guard and me for this time after a couple of months of complaining.

AlliedBarton treats its employees terribly, but the worst security companies to work for are the small ones. They often have trouble paying their guards or they lose contracts and have to lay people off. Statewide Patrol is not exactly small, but I've heard it is one of the worst. They mostly pay below market wages. Some companies pay armed guards $8 an hour. Just imagine working a job where you're in enough danger to have to carry a gun, baton, pepper spray, and handcuffs and making $8 an hour. What actually makes security work so bad sometimes are the guards you have to work with. They have no common sense whatsoever. I don't even know how these people remember to breathe.

I would think that Walmart is one of the worst places to work. The employees there always look miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or