U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-23-2011, 11:19 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
1,289 posts, read 3,342,736 times
Reputation: 917

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I would say working for a DoD contractor would be the worst job. You have two entities you have to make happy, and both will throw you under the bus for the other.
Worrying year to year whether you'll have a job makes this a tough field to work in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-24-2011, 12:49 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
108 posts, read 164,339 times
Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I would think the worst job in SA is cleaning up all the Grackle poop on the sidewalks downtown...
I've seen these guys, they don't seem to dislike their job. They're a two-man (maybe one?) power-washing crew that cleans the sidewalks in the downtown central business district. Other than working the night shift, I can see how some people might like this job. City salary/benefits, minimal education requirement, minimal supervisor oversight, no annoying coworkers, ease of work. It may not be the job for you or me, but I bet these guys are satisfied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 01:13 AM
 
Location: Schertz
581 posts, read 1,039,102 times
Reputation: 1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by novistana View Post
I've seen these guys, they don't seem to dislike their job. They're a two-man (maybe one?) power-washing crew that cleans the sidewalks in the downtown central business district. Other than working the night shift, I can see how some people might like this job. City salary/benefits, minimal education requirement, minimal supervisor oversight, no annoying coworkers, ease of work. It may not be the job for you or me, but I bet these guys are satisfied.

A co-worker and I were talking about this the other day. His son works as one of those guys. I forgot the exact "professional" name for it but he said that he likes it. He had a less than stellar upbringing and some troubles with the law but he's trying desperately to get back on track. Co-worker said he likes it because it allows him to work at night, go to school during the day to get his degree and support himself. I don't know or care about the story between co-worker and his son but apparently he's been doing it for a yr or so and it's working out okay for him. *shrugs*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 01:17 AM
 
Location: Schertz
581 posts, read 1,039,102 times
Reputation: 1123
DoD contract work stinks and I've had crappy ones but my current one is not too bad. My bosses pretty much leave me alone and let me do what I've been hired to do. Technology has made it easier but people make it harder, which aggrivates me. But what can you do? Although you do get the feeling that if you screw up, your dogs are gonna go "missing."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 07:12 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
11,160 posts, read 20,457,871 times
Reputation: 26438
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
Some companieos I am impressed with personally

HEB
Krispy Kreme
Chick Fil A - My pleasure! It must be in the requirements to say this, but they do it so sincerely!
Alamo Drafthouse
James Avery
Gabriels Liquor
I worked for Dons and Bens which also owns the Gabriels stores. The first time I worked for them was great, but I went back a couple years later and they wanted me to sell after hours...basically, I was always told that once the register time says 9pm, no more liquor sales or you can get ticketed. Well, they were doing it that way the first time I worked there but when I went back, they had decided that as long as the customer was inside the store by 9pm, we had to ring them up no matter what time it said on the register. I told the district manager that I could do that, but only if they gave me a signed letter saying that selling after hours was a job requirement and that they would pay the legal fees for any tickets I got. Of course they wouldn't give me a letter saying that...and about a week later I got transferred to a nasty store in a part of town I don't even like to drive in.

They also told me you could only ID the person making the purchase, not whoever came in the store...so basically if someone came in with a group of minors, as long as one was old enough and was paying, we were supposed to sell to them, which was not how they had done it in the past, or anywhere else I had worked had done it. It really felt like they didn't care what kind of trouble the employees got in, as long as they made their money. It was just a part-time job for me, for spending money, so I quit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 07:20 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
11,160 posts, read 20,457,871 times
Reputation: 26438
The worst job I ever had was at a dry cleaners. I took the job because I was totally burned out at my old job and wanted something different for a few months. The owner was a real nut case...he used to ration out the toilet paper and if asked for another roll that week, he'd say "you girls must have the cleanest a$$es in town," or accuse us of taking it home. He used to change prices randomly after items had been dropped off and then we'd have to call the customer and tell them that the item was going to be double or triple what they had already paid.

I was working for him when I had my first baby, six weeks early and by emergency c-section. He called me in the hospital the next day to tell me if I didn't return his key within an hour, he was keeping my last paycheck. I wasn't even allowed out of bed for a couple of days after that.

The funny thing was that he used to say he had been a cop...but he hadn't. And he always used that to scare the employees. I told him that my coworker was stealing about a hundred dollars a week from him (it had been my job to find things like that at my last job and I couldn't help noticing it) and he said, "No, she's not. I'm a cop and I would know."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 09:58 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
297 posts, read 624,173 times
Reputation: 308
I worked at USAA for almost a year once. I dont care what they say, that place sucked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 10:07 AM
 
Location: san antonio texas
1,805 posts, read 2,193,495 times
Reputation: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I worked for Dons and Bens which also owns the Gabriels stores. The first time I worked for them was great, but I went back a couple years later and they wanted me to sell after hours...basically, I was always told that once the register time says 9pm, no more liquor sales or you can get ticketed. Well, they were doing it that way the first time I worked there but when I went back, they had decided that as long as the customer was inside the store by 9pm, we had to ring them up no matter what time it said on the register. I told the district manager that I could do that, but only if they gave me a signed letter saying that selling after hours was a job requirement and that they would pay the legal fees for any tickets I got. Of course they wouldn't give me a letter saying that...and about a week later I got transferred to a nasty store in a part of town I don't even like to drive in.

They also told me you could only ID the person making the purchase, not whoever came in the store...so basically if someone came in with a group of minors, as long as one was old enough and was paying, we were supposed to sell to them, which was not how they had done it in the past, or anywhere else I had worked had done it. It really felt like they didn't care what kind of trouble the employees got in, as long as they made their money. It was just a part-time job for me, for spending money, so I quit.
IIRC, thats against TABC guidelines. if a group comes in and you have the slightest inclination that the purchaser might be making a purchase for the companion, you were under obligation to card both, or all in the party, not just the purchaser.

also, no west telemarketing???

wow.

i worked there for a year when they still had the cricket contract in SA. was a good gig until they started to xtrain us on billing, tech support, gereral support, disconnects... all without a pay raise.

they would also make you work the max they could after your shift was up, which is 30 minutes per texas law. after that, they have to release you. i didnt mind the extra 3-4 hours on my check, but some people it really irked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 10:10 AM
 
Location: san antonio texas
1,805 posts, read 2,193,495 times
Reputation: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
He called me in the hospital the next day to tell me if I didn't return his key within an hour, he was keeping my last paycheck.
did he ever follow through with this threat?

curious, because there are 3 people that can withhold your paycheck:

you
a judge issuing a court order
the IRS

if anyone else keeps your paycheck, they are in for some nasty fines and possible license revocation. just ask the crappy security company i did part time work for (theyre out of business or operating under a different name because of the crap they tried to pull on me).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 10:46 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
11,160 posts, read 20,457,871 times
Reputation: 26438
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
did he ever follow through with this threat?

curious, because there are 3 people that can withhold your paycheck:

you
a judge issuing a court order
the IRS

if anyone else keeps your paycheck, they are in for some nasty fines and possible license revocation. just ask the crappy security company i did part time work for (theyre out of business or operating under a different name because of the crap they tried to pull on me).
No, my FIL knew him from back in the day and called him up and they had a chat, and I still got my paycheck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top