U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 10:48 AM

11,144 posts, read 20,343,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
IIRC, thats against TABC guidelines. if a group comes in and you have the slightest inclination that the purchaser might be making a purchase for the companion, you were under obligation to card both, or all in the party, not just the purchaser.
I used to card them all right when they came in...we weren't supposed to have any minors in the store unless they were their with their parents or adult spouse, and I took it seriously.

Also, there was always the chance that they'd grab what they wanted and run out with it, if they weren't old enough to buy it. So carding them before they could pick anything up eliminated that possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 12:43 PM

413 posts, read 652,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americasman View Post
I worked at USAA for almost a year once. I dont care what they say, that place sucked.
Agreed.

If you're a middle-manager with no skills, or former military, or a fresh-out-of-college kid, then USAA is wonderful. If you enjoyed boot camp or if you like following orders like a mindless robot, you'll love USAA.

If you're motivated, opinionated, or have a triple-digit IQ, look elsewhere.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:57 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,941,822 times
Job satisfaction depends on so many variables; my worst place to work might be your best and vice versa.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:23 PM

6,258 posts, read 8,994,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
Job satisfaction depends on so many variables; my worst place to work might be your best and vice versa.
Pretty much! I've heard folks rave about working in a place that I wouldn't even suggest to an enemy, and others rant about places that I "knew" treated their folks VERY well. Each of us have our own personalities and quirks - what fits one won't another.

And THAT is what makes it fun - because it gives us options!

Old 10-24-2011, 02:36 PM

522 posts, read 990,395 times
there is something to be said about the difference between general job dissatisfaction (i would be absolutely miserable sitting at a desk all day, while the next person couldn't give a hoot), and unethical and illegal business practices that take advantage of or endanger their employees (much like what hedgehog_mom described). i can see the difference in preference, and being generally irritated with the way things are done, but i would definitely give the title to "worst place to work" to companies who pull a lot of the shady things some folks have described.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:46 PM

413 posts, read 652,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlorifiedMalcontent View Post
i would definitely give the title to "worst place to work" to companies who pull a lot of the shady things some folks have described.
You mean places like where the CEO has an affair and promotes his girlfriend to an executive position? Places like where they fire thousands of employees only to re-hire their cheaper, Indian counterparts? Places that have been successfully sued for hiring "consultants" to work as regular employees without offering the same benefits?

Yes, all of those are USAA.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:42 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,014,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americasman View Post
I worked at USAA for almost a year once. I dont care what they say, that place sucked.
WHY???

I'd be interested in knowing as I have never worked there. I heard they pay very well!

Old 10-24-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
It's the same at all security companies. If it is appropriate for you to eat at your post and you're not working with a crew of guards where someone can take your place, you will not get a lunch break. I did have to badger AlliedBarton for unpaid work because the "head guard" at the site made the night shift workers come in 15min. early to do an initial round. AlliedBarton did not know that he was doing this, it was illegal, and they paid another guard and me for this time after a couple of months of complaining.
I'm not surprised at all that you went through an experience like this.

Quote:
Some companies pay armed guards $8 an hour. Just imagine working a job where you're in enough danger to have to carry a gun, baton, pepper spray, and handcuffs and making $8 an hour.
True! Where I worked we had commissioned Allied Barton officers (carrying weapons) making $9.00 an hour...yet at NorthStar Mall, those non-commissioned Allied Barton officers (carrying NO weapons) are making $14.00 an hour.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:55 PM

7,002 posts, read 10,246,200 times
Wow! I didn't know the North Star Mall officers were making $14 an hour. I know that before minimum wage went up, AlliedBarton had commissioned officers making $7 an hour. This new duty officer came to check on my site all excited. He told me he was making $9 an hour as a duty officer (supervisor for those who don't know) which was a major step up from his former armed post making $7 an hour. I told him, "You know the non-commissioned city contract pays $8.75 an hour, right?" I sure did burst his bubble. I knew that AlliedBarton had some supervisors at the CPS plant making $14.

I know 15 min. of unpaid work a day doesn't sound like much, but I ended up getting a check for over $300 after doing this for about 8 months.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I knew that AlliedBarton had some supervisors at the CPS plant making $14.
The contract that I worked on was reprehensibly unfair to everyone except the "major."

Our "captain" was making $10.00 an hour (only $1.00 more than everyone else). The "sargents" and the "lieutenants" made the same amount as everyone else ($9.00 an hour), yet they had more responsibilities and duties.

The only person on the contract who got paid a decent wage was the major. The major was getting $16.00 an hour to pretty much sit at a desk all day and do nothing while "his" lieutenants and sergeants were working out there in the hot sun, cold weather and dealt with all the problems with the officers, and even did the training of new employees and managed them on a daily basis.

The lieutenants and sergeants (and even the captain sometimes) were required to work doubles and work shifts that "nobody else wanted to do." The major never had to work an extra shift. The lieutenants and the sergeants were required to work the shift if no one volunteered to work it or if someone called in at the last minute or got sick.

I will say, the major who I worked for was an awesome guy! It wasn't his fault that Allied Barton is a horrid company.

Thank goodness I left them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or