U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 11:24 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
WHY???

I'd be interested in knowing as I have never worked there. I heard they pay very well!

I know 4 people that work there, and 3 absolutely hate it. Ive asked them before why they hate it, and they just shake their heads. Maybe they think I am a USAA spy and wont tell me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 07:25 AM

413 posts, read 654,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
Maybe they think I am a USAA spy and wont tell me
What's funny is that it is true. They're reading this right now. They have an entire team devoted to reading everything said about USAA online.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:02 AM

112 posts, read 330,032 times
Every major company has a group devoted to reading everything written about them online. It's a smart business practice. If you recall, a representative from campbell's soup actually responded to post about them.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:46 AM

It's one thing to have official representatives go online, take feedback, help customers, deal with complaints, and do it all publicly and transparently. USAA does it secretly in anticipation of future lawsuits. We both know they're reading this right now. If they'd like to set me straight, I'd encourage them to correct me and post their name and title.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:05 AM

112 posts, read 330,032 times
I completely disagree. Its smart business practice for a company to monitor online conversations about itself. To trun a blind eue to it and pretend its no happening would be a violation of its fiduciary duties to its shareholders. Regardless of wheter its to monitor potential lawsuits, see public reaction to products etc. I hope USAA is doing it, and know that most companies do. It doesn't make USAA a bad employer or evil corporation for doing, it should jsut be considered SOP.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:14 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,024,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
I know 4 people that work there, and 3 absolutely hate it. Ive asked them before why they hate it, and they just shake their heads. Maybe they think I am a USAA spy and wont tell me
I generally don't like to assume things, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that some don't like it because they don't like to work as hard as they should there.

I've always had a VERY good work ethic all my life even while working many menial jobs. The place I got hired at recently, has some employees working there who simply don't excel.

It's a call center environment (but with a very good company, it's not telemarketing or anything like that) and I filled up a whole page front and back, and almost another extra column on a new page during my 8-hour shift yesterday of calls that I took on the phone.

A few of the other employees (both full time and part time employees) don't answer as many calls (some seem more interested in chit-chatting between calls) and not to boast but I know I am performing very well for only being there for less than 2 months.

I have a feeling that some "love" the idea of getting paid good money at USAA and places like that but then when they are expected to "be" professional at all times and have a good work ethic and put a 100% in, I'd venture to say that some start to dislike their job.

If the pay was not good, I believe they would tell you right out that they don't like it because of low pay. Since they aren't saying that right out, I'm guessing it's because they aren't equipped (educational wise, experience wise or other) to do the job in a way that they can enjoy and in a way that they are expected to do by their higherups.

Last edited by xsa210tx; 10-25-2011 at 11:09 AM..

Old 10-25-2011, 10:44 AM

xsa210tx, it is exactly the opposite of what you're thinking. Most people there are lazy with limited education and experience. If you work hard, people start looking over their shoulder thinking that you're making them look bad, that you're hunting for their job. They think that your hard work will at some point be seen by higher-ups and will give them more work. They don't like anybody rocking the boat. The ideal employee is one that can continue to work the slow pace that the current employees have created for the past 20 years. When there is real work to be done, they hire consultants/contractor or outsource the work to India and other countries.

The salary is decent there, but it is nothing special. By no means are they the best paying place in town or even close to it.

Granted, I know nothing about the call center portion of it but I have heard from people that were call reps. Their managers timed their bathroom breaks. If someone called about the death of a spouse or something horrible like that, reps were still expected to do a sales pitch for other products.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:04 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,024,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
xsa210tx, it is exactly the opposite of what you're thinking. Most people there are lazy with limited education and experience. If you work hard, people start looking over their shoulder thinking that you're making them look bad, that you're hunting for their job. They think that your hard work will at some point be seen by higher-ups and will give them more work. They don't like anybody rocking the boat. The ideal employee is one that can continue to work the slow pace that the current employees have created for the past 20 years. When there is real work to be done, they hire consultants/contractor or outsource the work to India and other countries.

The salary is decent there, but it is nothing special. By no means are they the best paying place in town or even close to it.

Granted, I know nothing about the call center portion of it but I have heard from people that were call reps. Their managers timed their bathroom breaks. If someone called about the death of a spouse or something horrible like that, reps were still expected to do a sales pitch for other products.
Good insight, but I still want to hear from others who work there. Your interpretation of it may be that way in "one" department or area within USAA but maybe it's vastly different outside that department?!

Hopefully others will chime in on their experience as well.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:16 AM

7,002 posts, read 10,299,653 times
I heard USAA was a pleasant place to work until they changed CEO or management or something to that effect.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:33 AM

7,687 posts, read 8,156,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerale View Post
I completely disagree. Its smart business practice for a company to monitor online conversations about itself. To trun a blind eue to it and pretend its no happening would be a violation of its fiduciary duties to its shareholders. Regardless of wheter its to monitor potential lawsuits, see public reaction to products etc. I hope USAA is doing it, and know that most companies do. It doesn't make USAA a bad employer or evil corporation for doing, it should jsut be considered SOP.
To an extent...

Depends on what they are doing with the information and whether or not they are manipulating it.

To see this on a much smaller scale go to Sea World's Facebook page. The second people start to complain about anything they stop replying and move on to the latest "have you seen/who has been to" post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or