U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 07:29 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,142,856 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who is in some pretty dire straits. She is unemployed (unemployment bennies have run out) and she seems to be spiraling into depression. She's skin and bones and her prospects seem very dim right now. I asked her about Carelink but when I have tried researching that program and Medicaid, it seems that single women over 45, without young children in the home are pretty much out of luck. About the only resource I can find for her is food stamps, which are only provided for 3 months......yes, better than nothing, I know, but I am afraid for her, that 3 months is not going to be long enough to get out of this horrible situation she's found herself in.

Does anyone know where I can direct her or try to find some help for her myself?? I've offered to pay for a dr. visit for her, because I'm concerned about her drastic weight loss but I am leaving town in a few weeks and won't be here to help her much.

I would appreciate only helpful replies, so if you feel like being judgey, please refrain. Nobody wants to be in the situation she's in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 07:34 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,892,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I have a friend who is in some pretty dire straits. She is unemployed (unemployment bennies have run out) and she seems to be spiraling into depression. She's skin and bones and her prospects seem very dim right now. I asked her about Carelink but when I have tried researching that program and Medicaid, it seems that single women over 45, without young children in the home are pretty much out of luck. About the only resource I can find for her is food stamps, which are only provided for 3 months......yes, better than nothing, I know, but I am afraid for her, that 3 months is not going to be long enough to get out of this horrible situation she's found herself in.

Does anyone know where I can direct her or try to find some help for her myself?? I've offered to pay for a dr. visit for her, because I'm concerned about her drastic weight loss but I am leaving town in a few weeks and won't be here to help her much.

I would appreciate only helpful replies, so if you feel like being judgey, please refrain. Nobody wants to be in the situation she's in.
Go to the welfare office and apply. Go to carelink and apply. Never assume anything through your research go directly and ask for help. Many local people and agencies are empathetic to others needs and will help as best they can.
Where is she living? Do you think the weight is medical or lack of monies for food?
How can we, those who have followed your posts and care for you in an "e" sort of way, help?

Old 10-23-2011, 07:40 PM

It's honestly not me. But thank you.

She was laid off about 3 years ago, and unfortunately, I think she figured she could just ride out the bennies and then hop into a new job with no trouble. Well, that didn't work out for her obviously. To the best of my knowledge, she hasn't had any luck with Carelink or Medicaid. Her weight loss is profound and it's a combination of not having money for food, and also, just not caring about having money for food. She is crying out for help on Facebook so I know deep down there is a desire to get better--it's when we no longer hear from her that I know there is real trouble. I've known her for many years and she's a college grad, was always a very bright, very vibrant person. This is really sad.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:42 PM

She has a brother out of state that is helping her with her rent.......she's in an apartment but I don't know how long he is willing or able to help her. She won't be homeless, I know, many people have offered her a room in their homes, myself included. But I can't take her to Dallas with me.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:43 PM

6,140 posts, read 8,598,808 times
Call the 211 hotline and go through each need individually.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Call the 211 hotline and go through each need individually.
I'll pass that along. Thanks!

Old 10-23-2011, 08:48 PM

932 posts, read 1,748,631 times
What was her degree in and what was her work in before she was unemployed? Hopefully everything else people have posted helps her in the short-term, but the only long-term solution is for her to re-establish some income.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
What was her degree in and what was her work in before she was unemployed? Hopefully everything else people have posted helps her in the short-term, but the only long-term solution is for her to re-establish some income.
BA English, and she has always done editing work for various companies. She's been gainfully employed as long as I've known her (24 years) except for the last 3 or so. She's gotten some temp work here and there but nothing has come of any of it. To be honest with you, I'm not even sure her skills are in demand in this economy. Again, she is dealing with depression, I'm afraid, and I'm concerned about her health. I've tried passing along all of the job leads I hear about but no one can do it for her. So, yes, she needs to re-establish some income but there are other issues as well.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:00 PM

409 posts, read 843,748 times
There's a temp agency on Austin Hwy. Not sure of the address but it's right across the Culebra meat market called TMD. Right now they need ppl to help clean up that building downtown that burned. I know the feeling of not having $$ cause benefits ran out and being unemployed. Anyway, these ppl usually put you to work right away but the projects last for a week or two before they call you again. Right now "A' job is better than "NO" job. BTW it's only $8.00 per hour doing cleanup. Hope that info helps.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Chiba57 View Post
There's a temp agency on Austin Hwy. Not sure of the address but it's right across the Culebra meat market called TMD. Right now they need ppl to help clean up that building downtown that burned. I know the feeling of not having $$ cause benefits ran out and being unemployed. Anyway, these ppl usually put you to work right away but the projects last for a week or two before they call you again. Right now "A' job is better than "NO" job. BTW it's only $8.00 per hour doing cleanup. Hope that info helps.
Thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio