Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2011, 08:49 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,147 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry, but is amexicano really debating why it's "safe" to tailgate?? Really? This is what it has come down to??

The thought that I put my kids in the car and knowingly get on the road with these nutters...scary. It's really scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 12:40 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Just got back from two weeks in Omaha, and thought I'd post a few observations of what it is like to drive there as compared with SA...

First, overall I did think people drove a lot better there. While traffic wasn't as heavy during rush hour as it is here, for the most part people were pretty predictable in their actions. e.g. signalling lane changes, mostly passing on the left, staying at a constant speed, etc.

What drove me nuts is that the folks there (like here) don't keep to the right. It wasn't uncommon to find someone sitting in the far left lane, doing the speed limit and not moving over despite there being an open lane to their right.

Also, while in San Antonio we suffer from the suicidal exits from three lanes over, what folks did there was put there signals on and then slam on their brakes if they couldn't get to the right lane. On several occasions it almost caused an accident. So they too suffer from the "wait, is that my exit?!?" panic move despite probably living there all their lives and driving the same route daily.

Additionally, the speed limits in the Omaha area are considerably lower than there are in SA, and more heavily enforced. We had a 20 mile drive from our hotel to Offutt, and every day we saw several people pulled over by the police despite the fact that most drivers we saw were doing the speed limit or close to it.

Honestly, it would be nice if people here drove better. Even with the one day of snow we experienced (which wasn't fun!), it was much less stressful driving there than here. On our way home from the airport an hour ago, we did see two individuals pulled over (one by DPS, the other by the stealth SAPD Camaro). I don't know if that was just because it was Saturday (traditionally a day of increased traffic enforcement) or there is a stepping up because of the coming holidays.

I will always applaud any and every effort to increase the safety of our roads, but the stealth vehicle did incite a debate between the wife and I (she thinks it's entrapment, whereas I think it is a greater deterrent for those thinking about speeding as knowing those vehicles are out there may cause them to think twice about doing so). We lose far too many folks due to accidents on our roads, and anything that can be done to decrease those numbers should be embraced by all!

Cheers! M2

Old 11-05-2011, 01:18 PM

418 posts, read 784,299 times
Lady in SUV tailgating me this morning... and I'm doing the
speed limit.

She is back there weaving from left to right as though she
is "threatening" to pass me on either side.

I sit there and say... "go ahead lady... pass me... please!"

Old 11-05-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul56 View Post
speed limit.

is "threatening" to pass me on either side.

If there was room on the right side to pass you, then you were in the wrong lane!

In Texas, you are required by law to be in the far right-hand lane unless passing or other reasons such as an obstruction in the road (Texas Transportation Code Sec. 545.051).

Old 11-05-2011, 03:08 PM

431 posts, read 765,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
if there was room on the right side to pass you, then you were in the wrong lane!

In texas, you are required by law to be in the far right-hand lane unless passing or other reasons such as an obstruction in the road (texas transportation code sec. 545.051).
x9999999999999999999999!

Old 11-05-2011, 04:26 PM

418 posts, read 784,299 times
Quote:
If there was room on the right side to pass you, then you were in the wrong lane!

In Texas, you are required by law to be in the far right-hand lane unless passing or other reasons such as an obstruction in the road (Texas Transportation Code Sec. 545.051).
Don't go makin' assumptions.

I'm a former semi driver with a million miles plus incident
free in my background.

I know da left from the right sides of the road.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
speed limit.

is "threatening" to pass me on either side

Quote:
Don't go makin' assumptions.

I'm a former semi driver with a million miles plus incident
free in my background.

I know da left from the right sides of the road.
I see truck drivers breaking that law all the time...

And if you were as far right as you could be, how can she be "threatening" to pass you on that side?!?

But I will take your word that you know your left from your right!

Old 11-05-2011, 07:30 PM

381 posts, read 767,938 times
Quote:
I see truck drivers breaking that law all the time...

And if you were as far right as you could be, how can she be "threatening" to pass you on that side?!?

But I will take your word that you know your left from your right!
Oh trust me, they will try to pass you on the right, even if there's no lane to do it. I see them doing this all the time on Wolfe run where I live where we only have one lane. I guess like someone said before they are late to their funeral. Haven't they seen what happens when your car finally hits that tree from all that bad driving? They think nothing is going to happen to them because of ABS brakes, airbags and crumple zones.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by en28so View Post
Oh trust me, they will try to pass you on the right, even if there's no lane to do it. I see them doing this all the time on Wolfe run where I live where we only have one lane. I guess like someone said before they are late to their funeral. Haven't they seen what happens when your car finally hits that tree from all that bad driving? They think nothing is going to happen to them because of ABS brakes, airbags and crumple zones.
No doubt, I had to "adjust" back to SA driving after being out of town for the past three weeks (I was in the Baltimore-Washington area before going to Omaha). I have never been a fan of the way many people drive here, which is why I would applaud greater traffic enforcement by the numerous law enforcement agencies in the area. While I know there are no quotas and that it is not for revenue generation, perhaps encouraging officers to enforce the laws would get people to think twice before driving like idiots. I don't believe the fines/penalties are harsh enough, as obviously they are not deterring people from endangering themselves and everybody else on the road. Perhaps if their wallets were made considerably lighter when caught, they'd be less apt to do so again in the future...

Old 11-05-2011, 08:15 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times
Quote:
No doubt, I had to "adjust" back to SA driving after being out of town for the past three weeks (I was in the Baltimore-Washington area before going to Omaha). I have never been a fan of the way many people drive here, which is why I would applaud greater traffic enforcement by the numerous law enforcement agencies in the area. While I know there are no quotas and that it is not for revenue generation, perhaps encouraging officers to enforce the laws would get people to think twice before driving like idiots. I don't believe the fines/penalties are harsh enough, as obviously they are not deterring people from endangering themselves and everybody else on the road. Perhaps if their wallets were made considerably lighter when caught, they'd be less apt to do so again in the future...
Nope, it's revenue generation, all right. Otherwise they would give warnings.

Driver A: "Speeding" 75 mph on 281 by Brook Hollow in the left lane with no cars around it

Driver B: Driving 72 mph through heavy traffic and weaving in & out of lanes

Who is being more dangerous?

It's a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio