U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 10:24 AM

568 posts, read 820,276 times

Advertisements

The craziest, rudest, most "stoopid" ignorant Moderator cut: language drivers are here in this h3!!hole
H_O_U_S T_O_N!!! The drivers here makes San Antonio look like a slow ride on a country lane.
Cant wait to get back home!!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-25-2012 at 02:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 02:18 AM

3 posts, read 7,744 times
Based on my driving experiences over the past 30 years, San Antonio has the most number of drivers with consistent, persistent and predictable bad driving behaviors. First, turn signals. What is so hard about turn signals?? SA drivers are either signalling for no apparent reason, signalling way too early passing multiple drives/entrances in the process, signalling Left but turning Right, not signalling at all then suddenly veering into your lane while flipping you off, or (my personal favorite) not signalling until nearly completely through the turn - only giving half a blink before the steering column mechanism clicks it off, why even bother. Next, entering the highway entrance ramp doing 45mph then slowing to 38mph before recklessly careening into 70mph traffic - without ever using a turn signal and, for good measure, flipping you off in the process! Next, the "convoy" behavior; 16 vehicles stacked side-by-side and one behind the other on an otherwise clear stretch of highway, none willing to pass the other or move over to a slower lane to allow you by, all doing 52mph in a 70. That is, right up till you finally pass them ten minutes later and then they decide to pace you, speeding up when you do, slowing down with you, and you've got your turn signal on and are trying to get over so you can exit the freeway! I could go on, but my exit is coming up; {blink} {blink)

Old 06-25-2012, 03:48 AM

3,983 posts, read 3,363,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grf430 View Post
I don't know about worst.

People here certainly drive slower than anywhere else I've lived. Merging onto the highway at 35-40 mph, coming to a dead stop at yield signs when there's no traffic (mainly at the turn-arounds), people turning on their blinker and waiting forever to change lanes, then getting mad at me when I pass them because I'm tired of waiting.
They do the same thing over here in Southeast Texas too .. never seen such a thing .. Yield means what it means .. it doesn't mean stop.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:01 AM

391 posts, read 585,077 times
Last week I went for a short drive of less than 5 miles during
which I experienced the following:

- vehicle weaving in and out of traffic erratically
- tailgating
- being cut off
- lack of use of signals
- speeding
- too slow and hesitant drivers
- failure to come to complete stop at stop sign
- driving too fast through parking lots

I've driven in a number of cities and other countries and can
say with complete honesty that San Antonio is one place where
I minimize the amount of time I spend behind the wheel as the
drivers here scare me. Now I completely understand why the
insurance industry has set such high rates for this area.

And where is the enforcement while all this is going on? <sigh>

Smarten up San Antonio drivers!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:50 AM

915 posts, read 1,655,962 times
Today, old guy in a pick-up in the far left lane of I10 was impeding traffic and weaving into the next lane. I don't think he had any clue or business on the road. This of course set the aggressive lane weavers off and launched a whole new set of traffic issues.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:57 AM

208 posts, read 336,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysatx View Post
I could go on, but my exit is coming up; {blink} {blink)
roflmao; just watch out for that oncoming run-on sentence !!!

Old 06-25-2012, 01:32 PM

41 posts, read 74,250 times
Was out to SA for the first time last week to look for homes. Maybe the drivers are just frustrated because the roads, highways and turnarounds are so confusing. I've lived in Chicago, Denver, Orlando and driven to cities all over those states and I've never experienced anything as frustrating and dangerous as the roads (not drivers) in SA. Seriously, it has become a consideration in us moving here even though we really liked SA.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:13 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,173,630 times
San Antonio is bad...but I still have to give the nod to Miami

Red lights at intesections mean nothing over there. People run red in traffic and block the intersection, while Im sitting there at green...then im stuck muddling through when its red for me. It isnt one intersection...its all the time! People who lived there know what I mean

Totally maddening!! Maybe thats what they do in Havana

Old 06-25-2012, 04:19 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,077,287 times
Y'know, I used to think Miami was worse; but lately I am gonna give SA the nod!

Today alone we saw several last-second bail-outs from 2-3 lanes out onto the exit ramp on 410. Also saw people braking for no reason, dramatic lane-changes with no signal or look (and three vehicles played bumper cars on IH-10 near 410), and even more buffoonery than usual.

In other words, it's getting worse here.

Although while I was in Hawaii, I had to laugh. After people cut you off there, they wave like you were letting them in. Honestly, it's a nice tactic as it shows a little appreciation even though it wasn't intentional.

And this past weekend, we were taking some scenic back roads home from Hondo where we had dinner at Billy Bob's Burgers (good BBQ as well!). I noticed several people in other vehicles waving as we past, just like the old days when folks were a lot more friendlier on our roads. I always thought that was cool, and it was nice to see a few still doing it. Maybe it'll catch on, and people will be less combative when they drive!

Cheers! M2

Old 06-25-2012, 04:23 PM

5,620 posts, read 12,862,125 times
Let's just say it like it is- SAPD sucks at their job or we wouldn't have such lousy drivers in this town. Did I miss something in the news or did the City sell off all of the patrol cars? Haven't seen one in weeks. But you can't drive 5 blocks without seeing some dimwit doing something crazy behind the wheel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or