Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2011, 09:10 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,047,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
In Texas, you are required by law to be in the far right-hand lane unless passing or other reasons such as an obstruction in the road (Texas Transportation Code Sec. 545.051).
And what about on a 2-lane road such as 1604?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 09:31 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Nope, it's revenue generation, all right. Otherwise they would give warnings.

Driver A: "Speeding" 75 mph on 281 by Brook Hollow in the left lane with no cars around it

Driver B: Driving 72 mph through heavy traffic and weaving in & out of lanes

Who is being more dangerous?

It's a joke.
People are given a warning, it's called the posted speed limit!

Give up on the claims that it's about revenue generation, Texas law prohibits it and much like quotas, the only place those things exist are in the minds of individuals who don't feel they should be held accountable for breaking the law...

And, to answer your question, both are dangerous. The fact that you can't differentiate between the two shows you don't really understand the point of traffic laws and the need to obey them!

Old 11-05-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
And what about on a 2-lane road such as 1604?
What part of 1604 are you talking about? When there are two lanes in the same direction, you are required by law to keep to the right.

One lane each in each direction, I hope people know to stay to the right; but around here sometimes I wonder...

Old 11-05-2011, 09:44 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by en28so View Post
Oh trust me, they will try to pass you on the right, even if there's no lane to do it. I see them doing this all the time on Wolfe run where I live where we only have one lane. I guess like someone said before they are late to their funeral. Haven't they seen what happens when your car finally hits that tree from all that bad driving? They think nothing is going to happen to them because of ABS brakes, airbags and crumple zones.
You think that's bad. A few weeks ago, I was sitting at a red light in the right lane and someone was next to me in the left lane. Someone in a sports car pulled up right between us straddling both lanes so he could speed off ahead of us when the light turned green. I have to admit that I have contemplated passing everyone in the right shoulder when both lanes are going 30mph in a 45mph zone.

Quote:
No doubt, I had to "adjust" back to SA driving after being out of town for the past three weeks (I was in the Baltimore-Washington area before going to Omaha). I have never been a fan of the way many people drive here, which is why I would applaud greater traffic enforcement by the numerous law enforcement agencies in the area. While I know there are no quotas and that it is not for revenue generation, perhaps encouraging officers to enforce the laws would get people to think twice before driving like idiots. I don't believe the fines/penalties are harsh enough, as obviously they are not deterring people from endangering themselves and everybody else on the road. Perhaps if their wallets were made considerably lighter when caught, they'd be less apt to do so again in the future...
I don't think the fines are the issue. Most people probably get deferred disposition (probation), defensive driving, and/or reduced fines.

Do these types of threads always have to turn into an argument about revenue generation? LOL.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:08 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Do these types of threads always have to turn into an argument about revenue generation? LOL.
Considering the fact that revenue generation is an integral part of the topic at hand......yes.

Just imagine if ALL traffic violations stopped tomorrow. (LOL, what a dream) What do you think will happen? What do you REALLY think will happen? Ha.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:30 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Considering the fact that revenue generation is an integral part of the topic at hand......yes.

Just imagine if ALL traffic violations stopped tomorrow. (LOL, what a dream) What do you think will happen? What do you REALLY think will happen? Ha.
I know San Antonians wouldn't drive any better. Since San Antonians don't like to use turn signals and like to tailgate, I don't even want to imagine what it would be like if they were doing this at 90mph.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:22 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
People are given a warning, it's called the posted speed limit!

Give up on the claims that it's about revenue generation, Texas law prohibits it and much like quotas, the only place those things exist are in the minds of individuals who don't feel they should be held accountable for breaking the law...

And, to answer your question, both are dangerous. The fact that you can't differentiate between the two shows you don't really understand the point of traffic laws and the need to obey them!
I am not saying ticket revenue exists, but why do cities include "traffic ticket income" as part of their annual city budget planning?

Old 11-06-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I am not saying ticket revenue exists, but why do cities include "traffic ticket income" as part of their annual city budget planning?
Because it does generate income, some of which does go to the city. However, claims that "quotas" are set or that tickets are given just to generate revenue are unfounded.

If such claims were true, then issuing traffic citations would be a very lucrative source of monies for the city; but as we all know enforcement in this town is lacking badly.

It's just whenever there is any enforcement, those unlucky souls who are caught breaking the law always find ways to blame others for their guilt.

Honestly, I believe the reason there isn't greater enforcement of traffic laws in this city are due to the restrictions under Texas law. Given how many traffic stops I see when in other places, San Antonio can easily be considered one of the least patrolled cities of its size in the nation!

Old 11-06-2011, 03:57 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Because it does generate income, some of which does go to the city. However, claims that "quotas" are set or that tickets are given just to generate revenue are unfounded.

If such claims were true, then issuing traffic citations would be a very lucrative source of monies for the city; but as we all know enforcement in this town is lacking badly.

It's just whenever there is any enforcement, those unlucky souls who are caught breaking the law always find ways to blame others for their guilt.

Honestly, I believe the reason there isn't greater enforcement of traffic laws in this city are due to the restrictions under Texas law. Given how many traffic stops I see when in other places, San Antonio can easily be considered one of the least patrolled cities of its size in the nation!
Well I have no problem with funding the city out of the pockets of those that think they are above the traffic laws. It seems to me that ticket revenue generation does exist but quotas do not. Talk of quotas is just "bubba talk".

Old 11-07-2011, 07:31 AM

487 posts, read 992,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
You're assuming that people can see two cars ahead. I drive a sedan and often can't see around a truck or SUV. The car in front of you will react first and you'll react about 1.3 seconds later. During the 1.3 seconds, you have already traveled over 100 ft depending on the speed you're driving. If the car ahead of you had a 1.3s reaction time to the car ahead of it, you're already 2.6s behind in reacting. The state of Texas recommends a 2 second following distance and so does the UK. Other states recommend a 3 second following distance. If you aren't going to following the 2s rule, then at least add a car length for every 10mph you drive.

Murcotts Safe Driving Tip - 2 Second Rule - YouTube

I didn't assume. That's why I said "IF you can see...." Agree with you about the 2 seconds...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio