Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2011, 12:07 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by niembre View Post
I agree, you should allow some distance between you and the car in front of you, but you also need to drive smart and not allow a huge cap between you and the car in front of you because all you are doing is allowing other people to get in front of you while you move back into your "safe following distance". All this does is slow down traffic. If there are 10-15 cars using the "safe following distance" of 5-10 car lengths in heavy traffic, think about how this effects traffic behind them and the flow. What they are doing is causing bottlenecks. They are just not smart enough to realize it.
I don't really understand this though. I always leave like a three to five car gap when in bumper to bumper traffic. Instead of constantly pressing on the gas and then pressing/slamming the brakes, I just let my car roll. Of course, lightly tapping on the gas, but not much. When the car in front of the car I'm following starts braking, I'll stop pressing the gas. By the time my car approaches the car in front of me (who had already pressed/slammed their brakes), they are moving again and I don't have to brake. I'll leave a similar gap and lightly tap my gas again to repeat the process. I'm always moving, so what's the issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 02:15 PM

92 posts, read 160,252 times
If you are doing this in the left lane, then the problem is when other cars in the right lane move over in front of you and you continue to back off and leave a five car gap. Think about it, if you allow several cars to move into your five car gap, it slows down everyone behind you. I'm sure when someone does cut in front of you, you probably open up another 5 car gap between you and the new person in front of you (what if that person who just cut in front of you opens up a 5 car gap?). Multiply that by several cars and all that does is slow the flow of traffic down. Of course, if no one takes advantage of your 5 car gap, then it makes no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
I don't really understand this though. I always leave like a three to five car gap when in bumper to bumper traffic. Instead of constantly pressing on the gas and then pressing/slamming the brakes, I just let my car roll. Of course, lightly tapping on the gas, but not much. When the car in front of the car I'm following starts braking, I'll stop pressing the gas. By the time my car approaches the car in front of me (who had already pressed/slammed their brakes), they are moving again and I don't have to brake. I'll leave a similar gap and lightly tap my gas again to repeat the process. I'm always moving, so what's the issue?

Old 11-08-2011, 02:22 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niembre View Post
If you are doing this in the left lane, then the problem is when other cars in the right lane move over in front of you and you continue to back off and leave a five car gap. Think about it, if you allow several cars to move into your five car gap, it slows down everyone behind you. I'm sure when someone does cut in front of you, you probably open up another 5 car gap between you and the new person in front of you (what if that person who just cut in front of you opens up a 5 car gap?). Multiply that by several cars and all that does is slow the flow of traffic down. Of course, if no one takes advantage of your 5 car gap, then it makes no difference.
I never do this in the left lane. And no one really has time to take the gap bexause im noving fast enough to where they can't. Only the smart drivers make it into the gap, so it happens a couple of times. I also do leave another three to five car gap also, hut I'm still moving.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:45 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Well I have no problem with funding the city out of the pockets of those that think they are above the traffic laws. It seems to me that ticket revenue generation does exist but quotas do not. Talk of quotas is just "bubba talk".
The point is that traffic enforcement is not done to generate revenue, it is to enforce the law and ensure public safety. Obviously monies are dervied from the fines imposed, but some are implying that it is done solely to add funds to the city coffer. That is simply not true, which is why there are no quotas (per Texas law).

Old 11-10-2011, 10:29 AM

418 posts, read 784,563 times
Driver's either don't use their signals... or use them incorrectly.

Either way, I trust local drivers to be completely unpredictable.

Behind a vehicle the other day in on a busy multi-lane road.

Driver signals left but quickly darts right.

So, to answer the subject line question... I'm not sure but
I'm sure SA driver's rank right up there with the worst. The
insurance providers seem to agree... given the higher rates
around here.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:36 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
When it comes to driving the best rule is:

TrustNo1

No matter where you live and drive...

Old 11-10-2011, 06:39 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
I can't remember who did the study, but WOAI said that drivers in Texas were listed as the 3rd worst in the nation behind Louisiana and Missouri.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:59 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,737,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americasman View Post
discuss...
I wish drivers will remember, that on undivided roads, there is a turning lane. Its only use is to make a right or left turn. It is not intended as an extra lane for traffic!

Old 11-13-2011, 08:28 PM

4 posts, read 4,884 times
Well I think I've had a run in with THE worst driver in this city, a red -haired balding guy with a soul patch driving a silver infinity, on 151 near the potranco exit, the biggest asshat ever. He sped up and cut in front of me and slammed on his brakes. This guy is insane.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:59 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Something tells me there are worse than that, Harlow. Thank goodness I work the night shift & have to sleep during the day. Less of these mental disasters to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio