Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2011, 12:35 AM

4,287 posts, read 7,991,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I doubt the cop would agree with the competence part. If I tried going 90 mph through downtown SA and tell the cop I am qualified to do so when I get pulled over, the cop would not agree. I know...I know...you think it is just for revenue boosting purposes.

However, as of lately I have been seeing some really reckless driving performed by cops on the southside. (running red lights without emergency lights activated, U-turns from the right lane on a two lane road, again without emergency lights)

I better put on my flame suit because I know certain posters will try to tell me how "uneducated" I am about LEO tactics. After all, a cop is never in the wrong behind the wheel.
Doubt the cop would agree on the competence part? Really? Based on ability to drive and handle the car or based on breaking "the law" and being assessed fines for revenue generation?

I was in full control of the vehicle, which is excellently maintained; didn't crash the car....nor did I kill anyone nor damage property. I imagine that falls under the label of "competent". Granted, others will say "but what if a deer darted in front of you" (in the Loop in Houston) or "you put people in danger!" by staying at least one lane away from them at all times. The fact of the matter is that I was capable of driving 95 mph & nothing anyone can say will change that.

This morning on I-10 was beautiful: everyone was doing what they were supposed to be doing. 1 truck in front of me was weaving a little bit doing 95, but the other guy stayed in the lane. It was a dance.....absolutely amazing. And I followed....because I was too tired of driving and wanted to make it to Galveston so I could sleep, haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 09:53 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,712,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Doubt the cop would agree on the competence part? Really? Based on ability to drive and handle the car or based on breaking "the law" and being assessed fines for revenue generation?

I was in full control of the vehicle, which is excellently maintained; didn't crash the car....nor did I kill anyone nor damage property. I imagine that falls under the label of "competent". Granted, others will say "but what if a deer darted in front of you" (in the Loop in Houston) or "you put people in danger!" by staying at least one lane away from them at all times. The fact of the matter is that I was capable of driving 95 mph & nothing anyone can say will change that.

This morning on I-10 was beautiful: everyone was doing what they were supposed to be doing. 1 truck in front of me was weaving a little bit doing 95, but the other guy stayed in the lane. It was a dance.....absolutely amazing. And I followed....because I was too tired of driving and wanted to make it to Galveston so I could sleep, haha.
Miami cop accused of driving 120 mph in squad car to off-duty job - CNN.com

I guess this guy was competence as well. Keep on going 95mph. :-p

Old 10-30-2011, 10:12 AM

1,220 posts, read 2,670,347 times
95 mph? really? good luck with that.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:52 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,085,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Actually, I think Houston is pretty darn good. Cars were staying to the right, I was following 2 cars in the left lane at 90-95 mph at 6:30 AM this morning on I-10 inside the Loop heading towards downtown. Everyone knew what to do, like on the autobahn in Germany. I couldn't quite put my finger on it.....there was some funny smell in the air. What was it? I think....COMPETENCE!

Something I don't see on the roads all too often here in San Antonio.
people wont let you change lanes often but overall their driving is wayyyyyyy better than san antonio. it's already explained before but sa doesnt know how to follow posted speed limits, stay in the right lane if you're going to slow, changing lanes when theres a car next to them, stopping at yield signs when it's not necessary etc. i've driven a lot in those major tx cities, and have traveled extensively since last april 2010 and san antonio takes the cakes on the worst drivers. even here in LA where i live they drive better.

sa arent crazy or maniacal . they're just plain stupid.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,577 times
Here's another inconsiderate practice I've noticed in SA: The driver in the left lane that only speeds up when someone is trying to pass them while there are 10 cars sitting behind them? Sometimes I wish I was driving a clunker and could just bash them!!

Old 10-31-2011, 10:53 AM

169 posts, read 427,396 times
of place i'v visited, Houston and Orlando are much MUCH worse.

Only driven in Dallas a few times, and each time seemed decent. But really, San Antonio is amazing compared to Houston!!!

Old 10-31-2011, 01:14 PM

92 posts, read 159,277 times
I just do not understand why people drive 55mph on 1604 (with no traffic) when the speed limit is 70mph? When there is a lot of traffic, why are there people driving in the left lane with over 5 car lenths of space between them and the car in front of them? Do they not realize that this just slows down the flow of traffic and that people in the right lane move over in front of them, slowing everyone behind them. And for the love of God, a Yield sign is not a stop sign. If you drive up to a yield sign and no one is around, you do NOT need to stop!!

Old 10-31-2011, 02:02 PM

418 posts, read 781,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niembre View Post
When there is a lot of traffic, why are there people driving in the left lane with over 5 car lenths of space between them and the car in front of them?
Establishing a safe following distance is the reason.

The gap that is necessary varies depending on the speed
and conditions at the time.

The objective is to get from point A to point B safely... not
to see who can arrive first.

It has been my observation that drivers just about everywhere
are ready to tailgate as a way of a visual cue to the driver in
front of their annoyance with the situation. It would be really
great if folks recognized "share the road" and not expect others
to drive their own vehicles as they do theirs.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:25 PM

92 posts, read 159,277 times
I agree, you should allow some distance between you and the car in front of you, but you also need to drive smart and not allow a huge cap between you and the car in front of you because all you are doing is allowing other people to get in front of you while you move back into your "safe following distance". All this does is slow down traffic. If there are 10-15 cars using the "safe following distance" of 5-10 car lengths in heavy traffic, think about how this effects traffic behind them and the flow. What they are doing is causing bottlenecks. They are just not smart enough to realize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul56 View Post
Establishing a safe following distance is the reason.

The gap that is necessary varies depending on the speed
and conditions at the time.

The objective is to get from point A to point B safely... not
to see who can arrive first.

It has been my observation that drivers just about everywhere
are ready to tailgate as a way of a visual cue to the driver in
front of their annoyance with the situation. It would be really
great if folks recognized "share the road" and not expect others
to drive their own vehicles as they do theirs.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:45 PM

4,287 posts, read 7,991,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niembre View Post
I agree, you should allow some distance between you and the car in front of you, but you also need to drive smart and not allow a huge cap between you and the car in front of you because all you are doing is allowing other people to get in front of you while you move back into your "safe following distance". All this does is slow down traffic. If there are 10-15 cars using the "safe following distance" of 5-10 car lengths in heavy traffic, think about how this effects traffic behind them and the flow. What they are doing is causing bottlenecks. They are just not smart enough to realize it.
& Bingo was his name-o. So many morons on the roads in this town. Makes one want to take public transportation. Oh, wait!! WE DON'T HAVE THAT!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio