U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2011, 07:05 PM

12 posts, read 32,823 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I was wondering if anyone has chosen Gehan as their builder and if so, how was the process and are you satisfied with your home. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 08:00 PM

810 posts, read 1,245,897 times
We built a new house from Gehan this year and was very pleased with the overall process and construction. It really depends on who you work with and we had an awesome sales person and Superintendent. Gehan is a privately held company based in Fort Worth and they are much less automated compared to other bigger home builders like Ryland, Centex, David Weekly, etc. We thought their were very flexible in terms of meeting our needs not being a custom home builder.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:12 PM

Thanks. Good to know someone has who has recently gone through the process with them is a happy customer. We are considering them and another builder. We just want to make sure we're getting a quality builder.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:26 PM

810 posts, read 1,245,897 times
We looked at Highlands as well and liked their floor plans but their prices were too high for what we wanted. Gehan has some really nice floor plans so they were a perfect fit for what we need.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:43 PM

I like Highland homes a lot also. That's actually the other builder we're trying to decide between. Just comparing apples to apples right now I guess.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:54 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,461,821 times
We built with Gehan in early 2009, in the Austin area. As far as customer service, they have a lot of room for vast improvements (namely the first superintendent we had and Faye with the warranty service), but the quality of the build has been great, which is what matters in the long run. In fact just yesterday, my painter complimented the installation of the crown molding and said that it is some of the best he's ever seen. We've had problems with yard grading (they FINALLY fixed it, after a true battle), a few minor other things, and most recently one of our undercabinet lights went out and we had to order a new one from FLORIDA, since none were to be found anywhere near here. Even our one-year inspector said the house was very well built!

So, as long as you fight them through the build process and ensure that all your needs are met and all your choices are installed, watch EVERYTHING on a daily basis, and then cover all your bases and push them continually during the warranty process, you should end up with a very quality house. The other builders in our neighborhood, when we built, were David Weekley and Wilshire and I would put the quality of the Gehan homes up to them any day, without hesitation.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:25 PM

7 posts, read 13,962 times
Thumbs down Gehan needs improvement

I am building with Gehan right now and I am very unhappy with their customer service. They can be condescending and rude. In addition, they don't even have anyone that answers the main corporate number in Austin. To me, that is a big warning sign. I signed on the dotted line without calling that number. Silly me!

When your salesperson is out of the office and your construction manager avoids your questions, where do you turn for help?

Old 05-29-2012, 06:58 PM

5,619 posts, read 12,922,258 times
If you are still in the building stage, customer service is not going to be much help as they don't have any info on you or your house until it closes. If you're not getting any results from the super, go to the salesman. If he's no help, call the corporate office and ask for the head of sales. I can assure you the home building business is not all that good that they want to lose your business. The Sales Manager will take care of you. And if you are in the building stage, make sure all areas are addressed or DO NOT close on the house. When you sign off on the house you give up a lot of rights and then the house falls to warranty which is a different ball game. ALL concerns that you have MUST be addressed or DO NOT sign off on the house- it's a major point of law.

Mind my asking just what concerns you have that they apparently are not helping you with?

Moderator cut: replies to be sent by DM - detailed consumer complaints cannot be posted in this forum

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-30-2012 at 12:22 AM..

Old 05-30-2012, 12:28 AM

21 posts, read 30,567 times
I see now why you're so upset - I would be too.

I've had to stay on top of our construction manager as well and there are still a few things that need addressing, but we are still a month from our prospected closing.

If you are this displeased with the house you can always back out or have them re-build on another lot. The up front investment isn't great enough to accept a $275k house you aren't in love with. What's $1000 in earnest money in the ultimate scheme of things when you take the situation into consideration?

Keep calling the main office. You mentioned you only called once, so maybe it was their district meeting time or something.

Hope it works out for you. Are you building in Walsh Trails? That's the only Gehan neighborhood I can think of that the prices were that high in. It's a nice neighborhood but you have options in that area to fall back on.

Marcus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio