U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 10:15 AM

392 posts, read 624,494 times

Advertisements

What about this poor Louisianian and his Honduran wife (my wife and I) that moved to Stone Oak this year... heh heh

I will say at least half of our apartment complex seems to be at least somewhat wealthy Mexicans. I see a lot of them at Best Buy near 1604 and 281 and at the yogurt shop by the H-E-B at 281 and Evans. They seem to be nice folks. It's different for me to hear Spanish more often than French, but it's cool. It's also gotta suck for those folks to have to leave their home region because it's so inundated with violence. At least they do it legally and invest here. Hondurans have been doing this and moving to the New Orleans area for a loooooong time (like my wife's extended family). We've just gotta keep stirrin' the melting pot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 01:25 PM

156 posts, read 341,088 times
seen some of those wealthy ones at the san marcos outlets,talk about spending that dollar...was surprised.every store i ran into them they was shopping mad.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:25 PM

816 posts, read 1,474,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
I also wonder if, in fact, these families are paying taxes here? Many list their homes as vacation homes only and keep their foreign address as their "permanant" residency. But, their kids are in school here. If I'm paying for their kids to be educated or for their kids to receive medical treatment, etc. etc. that's where I draw the line.
If their SA home is not listed as their homestead, then they are paying even MORE taxes. I believe that the schools receive almost all of their funding via property taxes, so they are paying "their fair share."

Old 11-02-2011, 03:58 PM

270 posts, read 843,327 times
Yes, indeed, they are paying taxes! Whether they buy or rent a house/apartment they are contributing to the Property Tax for said property.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:27 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,012,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan View Post
I honestly don't understand how someone could be against more wealth being brought into the city. The housing market and the local economy have benefited from this. Goodness.
How many Mexicans do you want to come into this country in the name of "investment" while 15 million Americans go unemployed?????????????

Please give me an exact number please! I'm sure the millions of Americans and entrepreneurs who want to open their own businesses would like to know how many they will be competing against!

Last edited by xsa210tx; 11-02-2011 at 04:49 PM..

Old 11-02-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
Seen quite a few beautiful Mercedes-Benz vehicles with Mexican plates. BALLIN'!
Yeah and they would be ballin' with their snobby attitude on YOU because they have more money than you.

"Oh, yeah, they be ballin' dude"!

Old 11-02-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabguy View Post
seen some of those wealthy ones at the san marcos outlets,talk about spending that dollar...was surprised.every store i ran into them they was shopping mad.
Dollar? Ha. More like "charging" it. It's no secret many of them have American credit cards.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
If Mexicans with money are coming to San Antonio, opening business, creating jobs, etc, then why the hell should we argue with that?

BN
Because you are basically saying "to hell" with believing in the American worker to create and sustain a business and that our focus should be on OTHERS outside of this country doing it FOR US.

Sorry if I believe that we should focus it on US and not others to do it for us.

I believe in my country a lot more than some others in this thread, I suppose.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
The reason that wealthy Mexicans are the ones investing is because AMERICANS don't have the money to invest: they're saddled with credit card debt, borderline bankruptcies, etc.

That 1 guy wants Americans first? The capitalistic reality is Americans LAST....& it's no one's fault but their own....in most cases. Not all, but most.
They have no debt? Please! How the heck do you know that? You don't know that. So how many should we allow to enter? Do you have a number? I'd be interested in knowing!

Old 11-02-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Guys....all it takes is time and a good work ethic. You have to be willing to work harder, longer, and with more intensity than most folks are willing to do.
I'm sure the vast majority of the working poor and the 46 million Americans living in poverty have jobs where they work hard and do their part.

"Working hard" can only do so much in a recession created and fostered by individuals where it's built to favor only the lucky few who pay lower tax rates than 99% of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or