U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 05:24 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,420,333 times

Advertisements

While many of them may be creating jobs, often times, they are starting/purchasing a business for the sake of obtaining the visa. There are many failed businesses in the Stone Oak area that were started/purchased by MN. Whether they "created" jobs, or simply held it as a means to reside here, who knows.

BTW, it does not take a lot of money to obtain an investor visa...some have done it with 50-100K. Not a lot of capital for a business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 05:28 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,414,797 times
Default Naivete,

Moves by leaps and bounds in this post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
That is,... we need all them to come over here create businesses which compete with AMERICAN businesses! Great idea with 15 million Americans unemployed! NO, we don't need "foreign investment" we need jobs FOR AMERICANS created by American businesses!

Great, well, lets invite millions of foreigners from African countries, Asian countries, Latin countries to just come over here and set up shop in the name of "investment." They'll make a killing in profits! Good for them! Meanwhile, Americans will still be without work!

Old 11-02-2011, 11:06 PM

898 posts, read 2,273,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
How many Mexicans do you want to come into this country in the name of "investment" while 15 million Americans go unemployed?????????????

Please give me an exact number please! I'm sure the millions of Americans and entrepreneurs who want to open their own businesses would like to know how many they will be competing against!
First off, I have problems ignoring people when they quote me so I must respond to this. To answer your question, 42. No more and no less. And, if I may borrow one of your question marks from your stash, how do people spending gobs of money here take jobs from Americans?

Old 11-03-2011, 12:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,014 times
xsa210tx,

why should we be afraid of people buying homes in our wealthiest neighborhoods and giving money to local vendors to stimulate the local economy? This is the best case scenario for San Antonio. There is no reason to fear them.

Take the tinfoil hat off.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:37 AM

993 posts, read 2,189,827 times
As long as they are not committing crimes and contributing to the economy. But is it fair to say that some have accumulated their wealth from illicit activities?

Old 11-03-2011, 08:57 AM

57 posts, read 134,239 times
Interesting thread. For anyone who had legitimate questions about this, I think amexicano touched on all the key points. He obviously has inside knowledge
As an immigrant, it is very reassuring to see that most posters here do not see immigration as black and white issue, and discriminate legal and illegal immigration.
For xsa210tx, would feel as strongly about this issue if the immigrants were rich British citizens coming here to spend money and invest?

Old 11-03-2011, 09:04 AM

73 posts, read 148,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
Remember, you are talking about the well-off Mexicans, so this doesn't apply to all "immigrants". Many get investor visas, so they can legally work and reside here. Some others just take advantage of "tourist" visas, which allowe them to stay for periods up to six months "on vacation" each visit before returning to Mexico to renew their permit. This is legal as long as they don't work and get paid in the US. They are legally able to buy houses regardless of visa status, particularly if they buy them cash w/o financing.

In many cases, the father lives and work in Mexico while te family lives here and he commutes regularly back and forth. Some, if provided investor visas, start their own businesses here. Some have internatioal health insurance provided by their employers or private medical insurance. They tend to avoid emergency rooms like the plague. In many cases they go back to Mexico to get medical attention.

Yes, they can attend public school, since our school system doesn't verify legal status. They are paying property taxes (which partially fund the school districts) but whether they end up contributing or taking advantage of the system depends on how many kids they have and how expensive their house is (but I'm guessing that's a separate discussion). Having kids in school, however, puts their tourist visas at risk.

About car registration, don't really know if they are legally obligated to register their cars if they are here "on vacation", and don't think the can even do it unless they have a resident visa. Since they are well off, they tend to have Mexican insurance with US coverage.
My only problem with this is if they are working in Mexico and not being paid by a US company they aren't paying any income taxes, plus they are probably not paying any sales tax on any purchases either.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:25 AM

837 posts, read 2,579,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd_91 View Post
My only problem with this is if they are working in Mexico and not being paid by a US company they aren't paying any income taxes, plus they are probably not paying any sales tax on any purchases either.
It is obvious that they still maintain their core businesses in Mexico to live as investors in America.

If they have visas to investors this means that the US government launched an investigation to verify their incomes are legal and that investments in America they do so are, so they pay enough taxes to get a residence permit.

If we add they stimulate the economy by buying goods and services, then I do not see the discomfort of some, you do not live in Cuba or North Korea, you are living in the country that has the capitalism as a flag.

I find it sad that some hate all Mexicans, whether poor or rich, legal or illegal.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:46 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,186,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd_91 View Post
eh, the rules on tax exemptions dont include businesses or foreign nationals. usually, tax exempt is for non-profits.

they are paying sales taxes, as i fail to see how a mexican national on a business visa would qualify for tax exempt status.

that being said, bring on the rich mexican nationals! spend money here!

Old 11-03-2011, 11:16 AM

266 posts, read 494,005 times
Just for information, I just returned from a 2 week stay in San Miguel de Allende visiting a family who bought land and built a house. Americans can now own land outright in Mexicio except for certain areas like the coast. I also met many Americans there who have lived many years in San Miguel and have given up their homes in the United States. San Miguel and other parts of Mexico have had pockets of US citizens for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or