Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 04:23 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,554,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
The "random" request for proof of financing applies to Tourist visas. Work or Investor visas require a lot of documentation and much more in-depth or even multiple interviews. So much that lawyers (US firms. Mexican lawyers need not apply) are usually required. Process can take months or longer. Background checks are not uncommon and perhaps even mandatory now. Also, those visas are subject to constant review (e.g. whether the business is hiring the promissed quota of US people, etc)

I have a close friend who tried to start a business here under an investor visa. A couple years later he had to go back to Mexico because his business didn't perform as expected and lost his visa. It was a genuine business, but he was in the wrong industry during the recession. They are given very little time to show good performance...
I have close friends who were able to obtain the necessary approval/documentation in 90 days, by "investing" less than $50,000. And the investment was merely showing cash on hand in a US bank. The "business" was a consulting one. Never showed any profits. Wife was able to obtain employment here (outside of the business). This went on for about 2.5 years, until they were granted residency status. They know of others with similar stories. Apparently, it's "who you know" and "who your lawyer knows" that will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 05:30 PM

487 posts, read 991,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
I have close friends who were able to obtain the necessary approval/documentation in 90 days, by "investing" less than $50,000. And the investment was merely showing cash on hand in a US bank. The "business" was a consulting one. Never showed any profits. Wife was able to obtain employment here (outside of the business). This went on for about 2.5 years, until they were granted residency status. They know of others with similar stories. Apparently, it's "who you know" and "who your lawyer knows" that will help.
Seems like the US government is then as corrupt as the Mexican one...

Old 11-04-2011, 05:43 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,245 times
Based on what??? Listen to Guilty of Being White.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:32 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,406,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan View Post
First off, I have problems ignoring people when they quote me so I must respond to this. To answer your question, 42. No more and no less. And, if I may borrow one of your question marks from your stash, how do people spending gobs of money here take jobs from Americans?
I WANT AMERICANS TO CREATE THOSE JOBS.

Wealthy or not, poor or not, I DON'T NEED PEOPLE COMING INTO MY COUNTRY in the name of "investment" when we ALL know they will "eventually" work the system (just like non wealthy immigrants coming in here) in order to become citizens.

It's a fraud, it's wrong and especially during the recession with 15 million Americans out of work, 46 million living in poverty, and with small businesses struggling (who will now compete with more foreign nationals) for American customers.

It's a fraud, plain and simple AND IT'S WRONG.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
Odelay!!! Who cares they are pumping money into the local economy.
How many foreign nationals should we continue to allow every year in the name of "investment" to come into this country? We can't let everyone and their sister into this country. We're already dealing with the one's we have here, already.

Last edited by xsa210tx; 11-05-2011 at 08:54 AM..

Old 11-05-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
For xsa210tx, would feel as strongly about this issue if the immigrants were rich British citizens coming here to spend money and invest?
Um, we don't have 10 to 15 million peope here who are of "British" descent! I think you know very well where the majority came from.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:45 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
Um, we don't have 10 to 15 million peope here who are of "British" descent! I think you know very well where the majority came from.
Guess I fail to see the issue....if they're here legally and willing to attempt to succeed in the American marketplace, I say "great!" If they give poor/shoddy service, they won't last long. If they offer value for the money, they'll do well.

And folks call me "Redneck"!

Old 11-07-2011, 07:39 AM

487 posts, read 991,833 times
Quote:
I WANT AMERICANS TO CREATE THOSE JOBS.

Wealthy or not, poor or not, I DON'T NEED PEOPLE COMING INTO MY COUNTRY in the name of "investment" when we ALL know they will "eventually" work the system (just like non wealthy immigrants coming in here) in order to become citizens.

It's a fraud, it's wrong and especially during the recession with 15 million Americans out of work, 46 million living in poverty, and with small businesses struggling (who will now compete with more foreign nationals) for American customers.

It's a fraud, plain and simple AND IT'S WRONG.
Great that you want Americans to create jobs...hey, you are free to start a successful business and create as many as you want.

I've heard that the US government has many programs to support new businesses. Also heard of something called "venture capital", where wealthy Americans are willing to give money to smart people who have good ideas and want to start a new business but don't have the capital. Also heard that many banks are willing to give loans to people who have solid business plans to start businesses.

Do be discuouraged...you CAN be the next Steve Jobs...

Old 11-07-2011, 07:44 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,623,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
Great that you want Americans to create jobs...hey, you are free to start a successful business and create as many as you want.

I've heard that the US government has many programs to support new businesses. Also heard of something called "venture capital", where wealthy Americans are willing to give money to smart people who have good ideas and want to start a new business but don't have the capital. Also heard that many banks are willing to give loans to people who have solid business plans to start businesses.

Do be discuouraged...you CAN be the next Steve Jobs...
though we disagree alot, heres some advice:

ignore that guy you're responding too. his clear hatred of wealthy mexicans should be reason enough. i dont care what colour you are. if you come to my country, start up a business and employ americans, GOOD ON YOU!

way more than this guy is doing!!

Old 11-07-2011, 08:35 AM

57 posts, read 158,369 times
Quote:
?!?!?!

What an elegant display of logic right there. Beautiful in its simplicity!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio