U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 11:36 AM

58 posts, read 133,793 times

Advertisements

I'm going to work @ Sam Houston, and for schooling there and need a place for my family...
the amenities needed,

1. Elementary school, for a 1st grader and 5th grader..Must have a full time nurse (1st grader, he's a type 1 diabetic)
2. Looking for a safe location, as in not ghetto..(I live in Cali) and I know what the ghetto's look like. I enlisted in the Army to get away from the ghetto life.
3. A house preferably (we have a english bulldog)

I will be getting basic housing allowance, and looking for somewhere pretty safe,and near the school/work.
Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 06:53 PM

94 posts, read 194,924 times
Nice areas close to Fort Sam would probably be Alamo Heights and Terrell Hills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffdan.k View Post
I'm going to work @ Sam Houston, and for schooling there and need a place for my family...
the amenities needed,

1. Elementary school, for a 1st grader and 5th grader..Must have a full time nurse (1st grader, he's a type 1 diabetic)
2. Looking for a safe location, as in not ghetto..(I live in Cali) and I know what the ghetto's look like. I enlisted in the Army to get away from the ghetto life.

I will be getting basic housing allowance, and looking for somewhere pretty safe,and near the school/work.
Thanks all

Old 11-02-2011, 07:03 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,318,355 times
All public schools here have a full-time nurse, so no need to worry. Look at neighborhoods North of 410 and 1604, Stone Oak area.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:06 PM

270 posts, read 843,440 times
What is your budget?

Old 11-02-2011, 07:17 PM

583 posts, read 1,005,267 times
I live in Canyon Springs and I really do love the area. Yes you will have some traffic getting to work but the schools will definitely be close to home. My husband is retired AF and we both really do love the area we live.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:28 PM

323 posts, read 741,982 times
Quote:
the amenities needed,

Thanks all
It kinda depends on your budget and how far you are willing to drive to get to work/school.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:56 AM

993 posts, read 2,188,188 times
Why don't you live on base? Everything would be right there.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:22 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,183,425 times
Quote:
the amenities needed,

Thanks all
brackenridge/mahnke park if alamo heights / terrel heights is out of your budget. both are great neighborhoods and voted the most diverse in SA.

pretty darn safe here also. rarely do i hear emergency sirens going off. ive seen a grand total of maybe 10 cop cars on my block, just patrolling. never had em park outside anyones place for an incident, though the dingbat next door to me had em visit him because his tags and inspection were expired (he parked on the street and someone slammed into his car, hence the police visit).

lots to do around here (the kiddie park is popular), lots of good places to eat (cheesy janes and the pig stand right off the bat). the only crappy part is that the roads can be a bit bumpy at times (see the hildebrand/281 exit going towards broadway).

all in all, best neighborhood ive lived in (so far) in SA.

avoid anything south/east/west. while not as ghetto as some of the stuff you've no undoubtedly seen in cali, those particular sides are bleh. if any, the south *can* be somewhat decent in small pockets, but hey, who wants to live in a nice area thats surrounded by filth? not me!

Old 11-03-2011, 10:50 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,216,405 times
Need to know your rank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or