U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 11:03 AM

2,260 posts, read 4,955,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
It is well known that area was the dumping grounds for all the Katrina refugees.
What's that got to do with anything?

Old 11-04-2011, 11:17 AM

486 posts, read 872,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
LOL. If you have to deal with a gang shooting once a year, you're lucky. Most of the zip codes here have shootings at least on a monthly basis.
I must live in a bubble...I'm yet to see or hear of a shooting in the zip codes I frequent since I moved here 2 years ago. 78216, 78209, 78257, 78258, 78248. Anyone has crime statistics by zip code?

Should I buy a shotgun?

Old 11-04-2011, 11:17 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,196,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
What's that got to do with anything?
crime rates where the refugees were camping spiked briefly while they were there?

left wing rags will try to play it off, but ask the people. the majority will say crime increased while they were there.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:22 AM

6,878 posts, read 18,227,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
It was this thread...
Does anyone actually like living in 78250?

I was trying to be open minded and polite when I said everything west of Bandera is a crap hole. GW said it correctly....It is anything west of I-10 is a crap hole and going down fast.

Okay, well, that entire thread reinforces my original remark...I don't remember anyone giving glowing reviews of 78250.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:34 AM

816 posts, read 1,480,260 times
Seeing as this thread contains MULTIPLE inaccuracies and will probably be locked within the day...

Have ya'll actually driven around the area? Have ya'll actually shopped or dined in the area? Have ya'll actually lived in the area?

Yes, there are areas (not an entire zip code) that are in decline, maybe even "rundown", but the reason this shooting is news is because it was unexpected and unusual.

To paint this whole area as ghetto is the same as painting the whole Stone Oak area as rich. These areas are not that different.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:53 AM

522 posts, read 993,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
To paint this whole area as ghetto is the same as painting the whole Stone Oak area as rich. These areas are not that different.
but montirob, you must remember... this board has a very generous definition of "ghetto" and only withhold that title for places that never ever see any crime and everyone's lawns are green and cut and everyone parks in garages and...

Old 11-04-2011, 12:33 PM

581 posts, read 1,040,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlorifiedMalcontent View Post
but montirob, you must remember... this board has a very generous definition of "ghetto" and only withhold that title for places that never ever see any crime and everyone's lawns are green and cut and everyone parks in garages and...

Dammit!! I was so close to being not ghetto. My lawn's still a little yellow.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:29 PM

229 posts, read 400,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
i would go out on a limb and say this behavior is not the usual crime you see on the NW side (you said west, but in fact it is on the NW side). more, this is behavior you see on other, less desirable sides of town (here is where west side would fit nicely).

also, this fight was in a park.

since parks tend to be spread out and not grouped together, its not fair to say 'oh this happened on so and so side of town', since its a park where people from all over the city gather.

however,

it does show you just how trashy and ghetto certain peoples are and how nothing you do can take the ghetto out of them. learned behaviors from bad parenting...
Not an accurate statement. It's a park, sure, but it's not a city park and the only people that go over there are the residents (generally speaking). This happened just about the time when school was getting out and although I can't attest as to if the youth involved were "in" with the large group of kids that wander the streets around here after school, I imagine there could be some close ties.

Also, I titled the thread wrong, it is the NW side of town...not west side...my bad.

As for the tagging, perhaps they need to teach these kids in 4th grade that if you are committing "criminal mischief" at night (eg, tagging) that a resident has the RIGHT to KILL YOU. If that message was spread perhaps there wouldn't be as much tagging as you see. Of course most people aren't going to shoot a tagger, but I bet if a few were indeed shot, then I think the graffiti problem wouldn't be as bad as it is.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:10 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,189,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
If you listen to Vulgar Display of Power while reading this thread you can feel your blood pressure rising.
Moderator cut: see comment

These are Taft kids. I drive through there on my way home from work every afternoon. They get off the bus and there are 2 or 3 of their expelled brethren waiting for them. They do their gang handshakes and bumps and then walk in the middle of the street with their attitude. They like to wear red and carry guns because they think it makes them cool. They would not survive in a true gangster life. They have tagged several homes (and garages) in the area behind the Jedco ice house. Every time I see them the blood boils, then I realize it would take less than a few minutes for me to wring the life out of their bodies. That would be a waste of my life, so I just drive on.

I'm not house hunting elsewhere because I live in fear. I want to move before someone gets critically injured and my life is destroyed.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-04-2011 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: Offensive - suggesting anything illegal is against TOS

Old 11-04-2011, 07:26 PM

7,002 posts, read 10,295,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
I must live in a bubble...I'm yet to see or hear of a shooting in the zip codes I frequent since I moved here 2 years ago. 78216, 78209, 78257, 78258, 78248. Anyone has crime statistics by zip code?

Should I buy a shotgun?
There was that Alamo Heights kid who was shot during a road rage incident back in March. I don't think it was exactly in 78209; it was at the border of 78217 and 78209. There was a shooting in 78216 in September on Silver Sands. As far as 78258, a man was just shot in the Stone Oak area a couple of months ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio