U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 06:28 PM

32 posts, read 100,801 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am trying to find information on the condition (hardness) of water in the San Antonio area. That is, does anyone know who to contact (or website) for data and information. I know that I could get the water tested, that is once I move in, but since it is public supplied, I should be able to find out what the hardness is ahead of time, I think?

Also, any thoughts on water softening equipment. That is: salt vs. non-salt systems, good companies or products, do it your self installations, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 09:14 PM

4,266 posts, read 6,896,460 times
I'm used to the water in San Antonio, which I've been told is harder than average. When I'm in other cities trying to shower or wash my hands, I feel like I'm not getting clean! The water is so soft elsewhere.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:16 PM

469 posts, read 1,740,457 times
San Antonio Water System has info on their website: San Antonio Water System: Water Quality (broken link)

As for softener systems there are several posts that have been made before, try searching for them. I did my system through Quality Water Associates, an online store, you can google it.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:40 AM

13,805 posts, read 19,023,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I'm used to the water in San Antonio, which I've been told is harder than average. When I'm in other cities trying to shower or wash my hands, I feel like I'm not getting clean! The water is so soft elsewhere.
that is actually the feeling of clean skin, without all the minerals and stuff found in hard water.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:28 PM

5,782 posts, read 8,993,916 times
Funny how folks will filter their water of minerals just to take supplements....

We also have a water softner because of the minerals, but then spend $$ on vitamins...kinda funny, huh?

Old 08-26-2007, 04:59 PM

4,266 posts, read 6,896,460 times
I wonder if water specially engineered to be "soft" is actually good for humans?

Old 08-26-2007, 06:10 PM

32 posts, read 100,801 times
Default Saltless systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleSG View Post
San Antonio Water System has info on their website: San Antonio Water System: Water Quality

As for softener systems there are several posts that have been made before, try searching for them. I did my system through Quality Water Associates, an online store, you can google it.
Thanks for the San Antonio Water System site , very useful. I did find several other posts and learned some things. I have also done some searching elsewhere.

I have seen a few different references to Salt softners being banned in Texas, is this true or is it maybe only true in some parts of Texas. I know that when we lived in Michigan the move to not allowing salt softners was on the way, we were already required to disconnect from the sewer system (in my area anyway), that is the brine water from regeneration needed to be pumped to the outdoors ie: out on your grass. This was somewhat of an expense considering that softeners were generally installed in the basement (which are rare in San Antonio I have found), and it killed the grass.

I have found some information on non-salt softners that use a technology that was developed in Germany (SP media). It sounds great (only hope that it is), no regeneration, no salt, no maintainance apparently. It basically changes the Ca and Mg particles so that they do not react and/or attach to your fixtures and such (they don't really explain the chemical changes or media content, proprietary (sp) I would guess). Considering that you don't have salty slimmy water sounds great, I said sounds. Anyone heard of or researched this?

I believe that Quality Water, the online store, is one of the stores that is selling this item, their saltless systems are manufactured by Pelican.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:43 PM

409 posts, read 1,106,557 times
We were informed while building our home that we should consider a softer so we had the house plumbed for it at that time. We were in our home for about 6 weeks without one because we were researching/interviewing various systems. We found systems ranging from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars! Keep in mind that a 'softener' system is not the same as a 'filtering' system. We chose a softener system recommended by our plumber(we bought our own from our source) and we use salt that we buy from Home Depot. Did we do the absolute right thing? Remains to be seen! For now, we are experiencing softer, cleaner feeling water and I have notice a drastic difference on my tubs, sinks, etc. Hope this helps!

Old 08-26-2007, 09:04 PM

1,805 posts, read 3,333,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Same here, Ozzy... I feel like I'm still soapy when I shower in softened water, or water that is already naturally soft. I last lived in Ohio; no issues with water there at all, not too hard, not too soft...

I've been told, however, that the further west you go, the harder the water gets, hence, California has the hardest water...... I was told it was because of the terrain and where the water originates from.... Because southern California has rocky, hard terrain, and water tumbles over miles of rocky ground and slopes and falls, it picks up the hard minerals in the rocky terrain and gives you a harder water product. (Even much of the desert has some rocky terrain).....
I grew up in Southern California, and water softeners were very common. I very much recall that white powdery-looking residue around pipes and fixtures. I then moved to Dallas and don't recall running into much of that 'limey' whitish residue and buildup. Then I moved to Ohio and there was little to notice in regards to water. It did feel somewhat soapy to me, and I spent more time trying to rinse off that very 'soft' residue....
Now I'm back in Texas, but this time in San Antonio. I see the signs of hard water, but still, nothing like what I experienced in So California! But whenever I'm showering or washing my hands where there is a water softener, I never feel like I'm getting the SOAP off!!

Last edited by PopsGuysRule; 08-26-2007 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 08-26-2007, 09:29 PM

85 posts, read 181,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
Same here, Ozzy... I feel like I'm still soapy when I shower in softened water, or water that is already naturally soft. I last lived in Ohio; no issues with water there at all, not too hard, not too soft...

I've been told, however, that the further west you go, the harder the water gets, hence, California has the hardest water...... I was told it was because of the terrain and where the water originates from.... Because southern California has rocky, hard terrain, and water tumbles over miles of rocky ground and slopes and falls, it picks up the hard minerals in the rocky terrain and gives you a harder water product. (Even much of the desert has some rocky terrain).....
I grew up in Southern California, and water softeners were very common. I very much recall that white powdery-looking residue around pipes and fixtures. I then moved to Dallas and don't recall running into much of that 'limey' whitish residue and buildup. Then I moved to Ohio and there was little to notice in regards to water. It did feel somewhat soapy to me, and I spent more time trying to rinse off that very 'soft' residue....
Now I'm back in Texas, but this time in San Antonio. I see the signs of hard water, but still, nothing like what I experienced in So California! But whenever I'm showering or washing my hands where there is a water softener, I never feel like I'm getting the SOAP off!!
San Antonio water is harder than SoCal water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio