U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 11:20 AM

4,149 posts, read 9,305,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post

PS -- EAT (and say goodbye) to all your favorite foods before coming...the cuisine down here is yuck. Goodbye NY pizza, bagels, subs and great Italian food and welcome to a world of canned marinara sauce, cheeze whiz and, of course, a subpar Mexican restaurant on every corner.

sniff, sniff, sob, sob.
This is in NO way correct. There are a ton of great restaurants and different fare. There are a lot of pizza places that are incredible, and yes, I've done a ton of work in Manhattan, so I've had the opportunity to eat at a ton of NY places. What you WON'T get is the exorbitant prices.

Yes, there are Mexican food places. Some amazing ones. Some not great ones. Just like NY has some great Italian and some not great Italian. They have a large Italian population. We've got a large Mexican population.

What you'll have to get used to is the pace of life. It's slower, but embrace it. Not everyone is in a hurry to get everywhere, but there's a lot less stress with it. Our public transportation isn't near as good, but we also don't have the population to need it. Rush hour means spending 30-40 minutes in the car. Not hours like it does some places.

The key is just embracing the slower pace of life. If you NEED the fast pace, you won't like it. But if you can embrace it, you'll really enjoy it.

It's really all about finding people with similar likes/dislikes and making great friends.

The kids will be fine. I moved every 3-4 years as a kid and while it sucked for about a month, kids adapt quickly and meet new friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 11:27 AM

680 posts, read 1,547,817 times
We moved down to the Hill Country from the Upper Midwest last year, but I was born and raised on the East Coast. Please don't let people strike fear into you about the transition. I have 3 school aged kids and they have done VERY well here. Texas has really opened our minds and our hearts in so many different ways and the whole experience has really helped our family to grow. Good luck!

Old 11-07-2011, 11:41 AM

680 posts, read 1,547,817 times
And no, there isn't any great Italian food here, but the barbecue and Mexican is amazing. So is the live music scene. It's like nothing I've experienced anywhere else. San Antonio and the surrounding Hill Country has a lot of charm, it's just completely different from East Coast charm. Come with an open mind, you will find a lot to love about Texas.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:07 PM

93 posts, read 77,780 times
I'm sure the OP knows that he'll need to like both BBQ and Mexican once getting to SA. That, or he's pretty much sunk.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:13 PM

4,149 posts, read 9,305,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_toast View Post
And no, there isn't any great Italian food here, but the barbecue and Mexican is amazing. So is the live music scene. It's like nothing I've experienced anywhere else. San Antonio and the surrounding Hill Country has a lot of charm, it's just completely different from East Coast charm. Come with an open mind, you will find a lot to love about Texas.
Little Italy isn't bad though!

Old 11-07-2011, 07:30 PM

993 posts, read 2,188,188 times
Good luck on your move, OP. I relocated from Northern Virginia back in 2008, and my fiancee relocated down here in 2009 after we got married. I am half Italian and she is 100% Italian, from Rhode Island originally. We like it although we miss greatly our families on the east coast. Some things to keep in mind, we live closer to another country than we do to another state. Car Insurance for me went waaaay up. This is attributed to uninsured drivers, border state, and high accidents per capita. If you are leaving families and a support system back home, you are probably going to miss them. We haven't be back home since May 2010, and it has sucked. Central time is awesome for watching sports! Sell your parkas! You probably won't need them. Good luck in your move, because moving sucks!

Old 11-07-2011, 07:34 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,107,503 times
Having recently experienced the northern concept of "early snow" (we got between 0.6-1" in Omaha one day last week), I remember why we decided to live here in the first place.

We first moved here from Germany although I had been here a couple of times before (mainly USAF Basic Training in 1981 and Officer Field Training in 1987). After three years we left for Belgium, then one "Fall" morning I was scraping several inches of ice and snow off my car when the epiphany hit me...I never had to do this in San Antonio!

A couple of years later, I was getting ready to retire and it was time for my wife and I to choose where we wanted to live (for a change). I honestly thought it would be a challenge as her family is up in the northeast (Pennsylvania) and mine in the southeast (Florida). Surprisingly, we both thought San Antonio would be the best choice!

But after giving it more thought, it made sense. We felt SA was a very family-friendly place, folks here were extremely nice and we would much rather take the summer heat than deal with the freezing cold! In a few months it will be seven years since we got back here, and we still agree that it was a smart move.

Sure, it's not for everyone; but it is an extremely popular place to visit and/or move based on the huge influx we see every year. If anything, it might be a little too popular; given our dwindling water resources and over-development of rural properties. I suspect/hope that trend will ease up in the near future, but based on the number of new properties and businesses I see popping up all over the place, that may not be the case. If anything, we may be suffering because living here is a bit too good!

Cheers! M2

Old 11-07-2011, 07:39 PM

993 posts, read 2,188,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
We felt SA was a very family-friendly place, folks here were extremely nice and we would much rather take the summer heat than deal with the freezing cold! In a few months it will be seven years since we got back here, and we still agree that it was a smart move.
One little caveat, get people out of their cars, and then they are nice and courteous, holding the door open for you and what not. That is what I have noticed, and when you drive always have your head on a swivel, because some people tend to drive erratically and recklessly sometimes. Oh yeah, get ready to pay a hell of lot less money in taxes. No state income tax here. But property taxes are high, as well as sales tax at 8.125%, so I guess I just contradicted myself. Oh well. What will be your zip code?

Old 11-07-2011, 08:02 PM

125 posts, read 230,081 times
Seems like a few people need to get out of their house a little more often....

Yes, it's hot as hades during the summer months. I've found trips to the lake and rivers are great and even take advantage of the cooler mornings to mountain bike or play golf.

I grew up in Alaska and spent many years in Greenwich, CT - and in my mid 30's now i imagine I'll spend many more years here (though am not foolish enough to think I know where I'll be in 5years). I work from home and could live wherever I want. I chose far north central San Antonio because the weather is great 8-9 months of the year, the people are nice and there's always something to do (if you take the initiative to explore) - no income taxes and the ridiculously low real estate prices are fringe benefits.

Having lived in many places - I've had three times the number of friend and family visitors since moving here. I think that also speaks volumes. I can also take the convertible or NSX out 12 months of the year - there's limited places where that's possible.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:23 PM

4,274 posts, read 6,629,936 times
I moved to San Antonio from Forest Hills, New York when I was 12 years old, just before freshman year of high school. It was a huge change and a definite shock & freshman year of high school was probably the most depressing year of my life, but that's because I didn't take advantage of my initial opportunities and decided to wallow in self-pity instead of actually doing something.

Once I got a driver's license at 16, I felt totally fine. Texas is a great place. NY/NJ is also great, but a different kind of great. You'll adjust and hopefully enjoy San Antonio, as well. Cibolo Canyons? You live on the other side of 281 from me, almost a direct line. It's a great neighborhood, welcome to it! Enjoy the great outdoors & the amazing things that San Antonio and Texas in general have to offer you.

No, it's not New York. It's TEXAS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or