U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2014, 11:55 AM
 
427 posts, read 1,037,209 times
Reputation: 431

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofboredom View Post
I figured a large percentage of people in San Antonio are willing to sweep this under the rug of consciousness, which is why it was allowed to be done.

To me, it taints my view of Buford, the organization. I still love Timmy, Manu, etc. But in all, I think it is ugly.

People ask why what happened at Penn State could go on for so long, because, there was too much to lose. Their football program was everything to their small town. I am just glad no-one was hurt, by Buford, this time. But, you can bet, if he goes out and does this again and kills someone, that people will ask how he could have been let go the 1st time. AND, it was NOT diabetes, if the lab tests had not shown that he was drunk, then they wouldn't have needed to ask them to throw out the evidence as "fruits of illegal search."
No doubt justice comes at a price and those who can afford more get better representation. That said, there are many repeat offenders who aren't off the roads until they actually kill someone. It's a sad fact of life and part of how the legal system has worked in this country for rich or for poor.

Also I do understand your point, but mentioning this incident in the same breath as the Penn State issue is a stretch to say the least.

IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-10-2014, 05:17 PM
 
46 posts, read 60,336 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofboredom View Post
AND, it was NOT diabetes, if the lab tests had not shown that he was drunk, then they wouldn't have needed to ask them to throw out the evidence as "fruits of illegal search."

Not sure I agree. As an attorney, I would seek to throw out any evidence which forms the primary basis of the prosecution's case. No evidence = no case. That being said, he probably did have a BAL in excess of .08. However, I also note that Type 1 diabetics are often mistaken for being intoxicated when suffering from hypoglycemia, and it appears that he is indeed a Type 1 diabetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2014, 08:26 AM
 
6 posts, read 6,477 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hschulz3 View Post
Not sure I agree. As an attorney, I would seek to throw out any evidence which forms the primary basis of the prosecution's case. No evidence = no case. That being said, he probably did have a BAL in excess of .08. However, I also note that Type 1 diabetics are often mistaken for being intoxicated when suffering from hypoglycemia, and it appears that he is indeed a Type 1 diabetic.
Well, being a lawyer, I can see the legal insight, but offering medical advice or observations, you would need at least 7 more years of schooling for that.

If his blood alcohol came back less that .08 there was no case, and no need to throw evidence out. How could the DA have prosecuted a case where the evidence showed he was not drunk?

Whatever.

Also, I made the parallel to the Penn State situation to the culture of sport which excuses everything for some "greater" purpose, not to the crimes being analogous. The culture which excuses misbehavior is the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2014, 07:18 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
8,400 posts, read 20,115,223 times
Reputation: 4435
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofboredom View Post
bumping up:

after looking through the free to search bexar county criminal court records, Buford's lawyer was able to convince some Judge, would love to know which one (couldn't ascertain from the records I could pull), that all the blood tests, and evidence seized from the scene were "fruits of illegal search." Officially, the case was dismissed and the motion suppress the evidence was granted

So, after having a temporary drive to work only type of license for a year, his record was wiped clean.

Let us hope he doesn't try to wipe a vehicular manslaughter off his record any time soon. I was/am a big Spurs fan, but double standards DISGUST me.

you can do your own search here:

Bexar County County Clerk and District Clerk Court Records Search

Case Information for Cause #: 376489

or just enter in Buford, R, C

Just FYI
Pathetic. I just came here looking for an update because the topic came up in discussion earlier today. I didn't realize he had bought his way out of his charges.

It's embarrassing, in a town with such a rampant DUI/DWI problem that someone gets a "pass" because he works for the Spurs.

We can only pray that it doesn't happen again, but experience as shown that those allowed to get away with such criminal behavior are very likely to repeat it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2014, 07:33 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
3,746 posts, read 3,847,405 times
Reputation: 3195
Show us evidence he "bought" his way out of it. Tinfoil must be running low at HEB...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2014, 02:02 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
4,274 posts, read 6,634,741 times
Reputation: 3910
Perhaps he didn't necessarily "buy" his way in, but his position with the Spurs may not have hindered people looking positively on him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2014, 06:52 PM
 
1,878 posts, read 2,307,245 times
Reputation: 3383
Brb...I need to put my boots on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2014, 11:17 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
905 posts, read 1,355,848 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Pathetic. I just came here looking for an update because the topic came up in discussion earlier today. I didn't realize he had bought his way out of his charges.

It's embarrassing, in a town with such a rampant DUI/DWI problem that someone gets a "pass" because he works for the Spurs.

We can only pray that it doesn't happen again, but experience as shown that those allowed to get away with such criminal behavior are very likely to repeat it.

I know of a person who has had over 6 DWI's and is still driving. His mother paid an attorney big bucks to keep him out of jail. It worked. Now the attorney is being investigated for bribing judges. It's a huge scandal now..

Also, just last Friday while driving on San Pedro around 6:00pm, a convertible CLK Mercedes pulled out of a car lot, top down and the driver had a big ass beer in his hand, plain as day, no qualms about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2014, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Brentwood
818 posts, read 982,424 times
Reputation: 1380
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofboredom View Post
Well, being a lawyer, I can see the legal insight, but offering medical advice or observations, you would need at least 7 more years of schooling for that.

If his blood alcohol came back less that .08 there was no case, and no need to throw evidence out. How could the DA have prosecuted a case where the evidence showed he was not drunk?

Whatever.

Also, I made the parallel to the Penn State situation to the culture of sport which excuses everything for some "greater" purpose, not to the crimes being analogous. The culture which excuses misbehavior is the same.
There is no law against making an 'observation' of any kind. I am not sure where in hschulz3's post you found them to be giving medical advice, I don't see that anywhere.

I think, for once, we should all take the advice of our resident legal\law enforcement expert, Neshomamench, and not jump to conclusions without facts. You don't know the facts of the case and therefore you shouldn't assume he was drunk.

Our legal system didn't see enough evidence to prosecute OR the evidence obtained was done illegally (cops did something wrong? ). Either way, Buford is\was innocent until proven guilty and he was never found guilty.

That is really all there is to it or than conjecture and allegory.

Case dismissed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top