U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 08:37 AM

6,878 posts, read 18,176,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Other than Keystone (co-ed K - 12) and San Antonio Academy (Boys only K-8), all non public schools in San Antonio are religious. Coming from MA, I found that hard to believe in the nation's seventh largest city, but it's true.
Just one more clue that the "7th largest city" title has no bearing on anything, and is largely a myth when compared to other cities with similar populations.

San Antonio's offerings are closer to a town of half a million, at best...and is a hybrid of hispanic and anglo cultures. Mostly hispanic. Therefore, the schools are going to reflect that demographic.

A good secular education can be found in some of the more exclusive areas' public schools. Alamo Heights, Stone Oak (depending). Heck, Boerne has great schools.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 10:43 AM

680 posts, read 1,547,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstmom View Post
Currently, what are considered the best private schools in town for elementary and middle school? I am more interested in secular schools than religious.
There really aren't many private secular schools in the entire state of Texas. This is not unique to San Antonio. FWIW, that is one big reason why my kids go to public school. One way to measure how pervasive religion is in a private school is to ask if there is a statement of faith -- if there is, you will want to read it over and see if you agree with it. If there isn't, it probably is fairly open in its views.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:35 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,582,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Just one more clue that the "7th largest city" title has no bearing on anything, and is largely a myth when compared to other cities with similar populations.

San Antonio's offerings are closer to a town of half a million, at best...and is a hybrid of hispanic and anglo cultures. Mostly hispanic. Therefore, the schools are going to reflect that demographic.

A good secular education can be found in some of the more exclusive areas' public schools. Alamo Heights, Stone Oak (depending). Heck, Boerne has great schools.
Not exactly true. Granted those sides of town might have more parental involvement, resources, money, etc. That does not diminish the education you can receive at a Title 1 campus which I teach at. Education has nothing to do with what side of town you live on. It has everything to do with motivation, work ethic, etc. I work on a really poor side of town within the NISD and the majority of our kids are on free lunch. With that being said we consistently rank higher on tests than other campuses on "exclusive" areas of town. I know b/c I see the numbers every week. So I think it is unfair to categorize one side of town as having a good educational opportunity as opposed to a poorer side of town.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:10 PM

816 posts, read 1,474,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Other than Keystone (co-ed K - 12) and San Antonio Academy (Boys only K-8), all non public schools in San Antonio are religious. Coming from MA, I found that hard to believe in the nation's seventh largest city, but it's true.
What about the Montessori schools like Kriterion and Monte Vista (both pk-8), or the Discovery School (pk-early elem), or the Circle School (pk-8)? I'm sure I'm missing some, but none of these are faith-affiliated.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:31 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,176,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
Not exactly true. Granted those sides of town might have more parental involvement, resources, money, etc. That does not diminish the education you can receive at a Title 1 campus which I teach at. Education has nothing to do with what side of town you live on. It has everything to do with motivation, work ethic, etc. I work on a really poor side of town within the NISD and the majority of our kids are on free lunch. With that being said we consistently rank higher on tests than other campuses on "exclusive" areas of town. I know b/c I see the numbers every week. So I think it is unfair to categorize one side of town as having a good educational opportunity as opposed to a poorer side of town.
If you read my post, you can see it says:

A good secular education can be found

I didn't use the word "exclusively".

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or