U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-31-2012, 06:55 PM
 
Location: South Side
3,770 posts, read 7,296,338 times
Reputation: 2852

Advertisements

happy new years to the most dysfunctional relationship i have...with all you crazies! its been real....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-01-2013, 12:43 AM
 
Location: San Quilmas, Tx
4,089 posts, read 6,109,996 times
Reputation: 9135
Nothing to do right now ?? WalMart is open...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 09:15 PM
 
Location: San Quilmas, Tx
4,089 posts, read 6,109,996 times
Reputation: 9135
Bummer of the New Year: Arsenio Hall is returning to TV later this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 09:27 PM
 
Location: San Quilmas, Tx
4,089 posts, read 6,109,996 times
Reputation: 9135
RIP Patti Page ...a great singer indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 11:24 PM
 
263 posts, read 368,467 times
Reputation: 151
Happy New Year everybody!Question;Does anyone have any conections with The TEXAS CAVILIERS or THe Fiesta Commitee?Reason ,I trying to locate any Pictures of The1970and 71 River Parade.My kids have been asking me about this and I've got nothing to show.In particular,the Brooks AFB barge operated by the Cavaliers.If anyone could help me out,I would surely Appreciate it,then I could show my kids that I realy did play in a band with Steve Earle in front thousands of my fellow San Antonians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2013, 01:13 PM
 
Location: South Side
3,770 posts, read 7,296,338 times
Reputation: 2852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Bummer of the New Year: Arsenio Hall is returning to TV later this year.
Yessssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 03:37 PM
 
51 posts, read 112,191 times
Reputation: 105
Smile Gotta Love San Antonio

I've lived in San Antonio for 64 years, and have always said "When I retire I'm going to be a tourist in my own city." Well, I'm retired and on a very low fixed income. I haven't been to, and can't afford to go to Sea World, Fiesta Texas, any of the IMAX theaters, and none of the interesting "tourist traps" across from the Alamo. It's been years since I've been to the Witte Museum, San Antonio Zoo, and ridden the Brackenridge Eagle; just can't afford it. But guess what? I am still a tourist in this wonderful city, and it costs me absolutely nothing. On weekends I make a sack lunch at home, board the Via bus free with my senior citizen card, and go downtown. I always get off by the Rivercenter Mall and head downstairs to the Riverwalk. I sit there on the river, pour a hot cup of coffee, and listen to the wonderful live music of Andean Fusion. After that I start walking the beautiful Riverwalk. Just the beauty of the Riverwalk alone is very relaxing and enjoyable. But what is the most enjoyable thing is watching the tourists. I absolutely love seeing whole families, and groups of military trainees enjoying our city. The little kids in their Davy Crockett coon skin hats are especially delightful to watch. When I get tired of walking, I sit on one of the many benches along the river until my old feet feel good again. When I get hungry, I usually sit across from the beautiful waterfall between Rivercenter Mall and the Arneson River Theater. For some reason the cold cut sandwiches, chips, snack cake, and coffee taste so much better when eaten down there. I usually stay down on the Riverwalk for five or six hours, then catch Via back to my neighborhood. Then, there are also the fantastic wildlife park walking and hiking trails. One of my favorites is Comanche Lookout Park on Nacogdoches Rd. It's an easy climb to the top of the hill, and the view is marvelous. All of the wilderness parks offer such a variety of flora and fauna. It's amazing that it took me till age sixty-four to discover that money isn't necessary to enjoy life, and San Antonio is my happiness! If you are a senior citizen, rich or poor, you might consider this poor man's tourism plan, it won't disappoint.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-07-2013 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 11:22 AM
 
51 posts, read 112,191 times
Reputation: 105
Default Brackenridge Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumblefingers O'Mel View Post
I've lived in San Antonio for 64 years, and have always said "When I retire I'm going to be a tourist in my own city." Well, I'm retired and on a very low fixed income. I haven't been to, and can't afford to go to Sea World, Fiesta Texas, any of the IMAX theaters, and none of the interesting "tourist traps" across from the Alamo. It's been years since I've been to the Witte Museum, San Antonio Zoo, and ridden the Brackenridge Eagle; just can't afford it. But guess what? I am still a tourist in this wonderful city, and it costs me absolutely nothing. On weekends I make a sack lunch at home, board the Via bus free with my senior citizen card, and go downtown. I always get off by the Rivercenter Mall and head downstairs to the Riverwalk. I sit there on the river, pour a hot cup of coffee, and listen to the wonderful live music of Andean Fusion. After that I start walking the beautiful Riverwalk. Just the beauty of the Riverwalk alone is very relaxing and enjoyable. But what is the most enjoyable thing is watching the tourists. I absolutely love seeing whole families, and groups of military trainees enjoying our city. The little kids in their Davy Crockett coon skin hats are especially delightful to watch. When I get tired of walking, I sit on one of the many benches along the river until my old feet feel good again. When I get hungry, I usually sit across from the beautiful waterfall between Rivercenter Mall and the Arneson River Theater. For some reason the cold cut sandwiches, chips, snack cake, and coffee taste so much better when eaten down there. I usually stay down on the Riverwalk for five or six hours, then catch Via back to my neighborhood. Then, there are also the fantastic wildlife park walking and hiking trails. One of my favorites is Comanche Lookout Park on Nacogdoches Rd. It's an easy climb to the top of the hill, and the view is marvelous. All of the wilderness parks offer such a variety of flora and fauna. It's amazing that it took me till age sixty-four to discover that money isn't necessary to enjoy life, and San Antonio is my happiness! If you are a senior citizen, rich or poor, you might consider this poor man's tourism plan, it won't disappoint.
In the above reply I said it's been years since I've ridden the Brackenridge Eagle. Well, I finally got to ride it again. I had gone to Brackenridge Park to walk and have my sack lunch a few days ago, and noticed the Brackenridge Eagle was only $3.50. So I took the ride. Although it is still a lovely ride, it is not as long as it used to be. I remember it used to go by the livery stables and the Kiddie Park. It doesn't go by there anymore. However, it still goes through the tunnel. All in all it was a great nostalgic ride for me, and now that I know how affordable it is I will probably take a few more rides over time. p/s I don't even know if the livery stables out there exist anymore. Does anybody else know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 10:57 PM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,172 posts, read 54,228,730 times
Reputation: 163313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumblefingers O'Mel View Post
In the above reply I said it's been years since I've ridden the Brackenridge Eagle. Well, I finally got to ride it again. I had gone to Brackenridge Park to walk and have my sack lunch a few days ago, and noticed the Brackenridge Eagle was only $3.50. So I took the ride. Although it is still a lovely ride, it is not as long as it used to be. I remember it used to go by the livery stables and the Kiddie Park. It doesn't go by there anymore. However, it still goes through the tunnel. All in all it was a great nostalgic ride for me, and now that I know how affordable it is I will probably take a few more rides over time. p/s I don't even know if the livery stables out there exist anymore. Does anybody else know?
The horses and stables have been gone many years. Far as I can tell the new bigger trains still follow the original path. It does go around the golf range and across from where the stables were. It also goes past the Kiddie park. You just can barely see it for the woods and the weeds. I rode the "Mary Barrett" earlier this year...last year rather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 11:34 PM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,172 posts, read 54,228,730 times
Reputation: 163313




Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top