U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 01:13 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,195,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
One thing to consider is perhaps placing your bed on an incline. Some studies show that it helps insomnia, acid reflux, slows aging, restless feet, tossing, varicose veins (keeps the blood from pooling in one spot), etc.
prilosec and good government healthcare are also helpful

/the slight incline for acid reflux is true, not sure about the rest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 02:32 PM

5,635 posts, read 13,982,312 times
Forgot to mention that the inclined bed also supposedly nearly cures snoring.

Here's the thing about prilosec/nexium/zantac/etc and all other PPIs (proton pump inhibitors)....it only relieves symptoms, but does not fix the underlying problem--a weak sphincter muscle in your stomach (the lid that opens and closes and prevents the food bile/acid from going up your esophagus). In other words, the medication may help relieve the pain and "burn", but it does nothing to fix the problem. So, you will have people on this stuff for years and perhaps do more damage long term by altering the stomach's nutrients and acid production. I don't trust these kinds of medication, but I do use them when I need. The #1 thing that helped me with GERD (acid reflux) is an inclined bed--and i bet that if you talk to people with chronic reflux they will tell you the same thing. The second thing? A serious reduction in stress and anxiety.Surprisingly, diet had little to do with it.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:10 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,357,274 times
Interesting, because my diet changes have fixed pretty much everything that was wrong with me. No more medicine for GERD, no more snoring/sleep apnea, and I mostly sleep through the night. Sometimes if something is bothering me or I'm a little stressed I'll wake up in the middle of the night, but that's fortunately a rarity.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:39 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,195,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Forgot to mention that the inclined bed also supposedly nearly cures snoring.

Here's the thing about prilosec/nexium/zantac/etc and all other PPIs (proton pump inhibitors)....it only relieves symptoms, but does not fix the underlying problem--a weak sphincter muscle in your stomach (the lid that opens and closes and prevents the food bile/acid from going up your esophagus). In other words, the medication may help relieve the pain and "burn", but it does nothing to fix the problem. So, you will have people on this stuff for years and perhaps do more damage long term by altering the stomach's nutrients and acid production. I don't trust these kinds of medication, but I do use them when I need. The #1 thing that helped me with GERD (acid reflux) is an inclined bed--and i bet that if you talk to people with chronic reflux they will tell you the same thing. The second thing? A serious reduction in stress and anxiety.Surprisingly, diet had little to do with it.
my diet has nothing to do with it. if i dont take my pills, sitting or laying down, i will get heartburn. take my pills, i can eat what i want. most days its meats and fishies.

also, i dont pay for my meds. my insurance covers it for me

they cover just about everything, 100%, except narcotics.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:32 PM

Let me take that back--diet does help, however, it's not the final solution. It's a combination of several things.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:40 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,296,338 times
this guy. i swear.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
this guy. i swear.
WHo? What and why?

Old 01-23-2012, 05:44 AM

hint: not me, not you, not perti obviously..

and the best insurance is the kind you never need to use

Old 01-24-2012, 07:29 AM

330 posts, read 502,791 times
My sweet little baby boy has taken to biting and throwing himself to the ground in protest. Here we go again. Oh, toddlerhood, it's been a while; I see you haven't changed.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:39 AM

My solution is to ask them who they think cares and to point out how ridiculous they look. Works great on my granddaughter, especially when both myself and my son say the same thing to her and there aren't any women around to offer her any sympathy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio