Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 08:59 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyonthursSA View Post
but....but......shooting pure 100% butter through your veins is the only way to live..........
Butter doesn't give you diabetes.

Paula Deen's cooking show isn't at fault here. It's fat effing people who think they can sit on their cans all day and eat CRAP and not work it off.

Just sayin'.

Signed,
A Former Fattie, Who Is Still Somewhat Fat, but 35 lbs Down With the Help of Minor Diet Changes and Exercise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 05:19 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
Nothing "gives" you diabetes, but butter doesn't help you avoid it at all.. she was irresponsible in how she handled the disease and blew a perfectly good opportunity to be a productive member of society. Now she's just opening her nasty mouth so she can get paid for it.
Once again I'll be hoping justice prevails in the end and I'm sure she'll get what she has coming in time...

Old 01-18-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Nothing "gives" you diabetes, but butter doesn't help you avoid it at all.. she was irresponsible in how she handled the disease and blew a perfectly good opportunity to be a productive member of society. Now she's just opening her nasty mouth so she can get paid for it.
Once again I'll be hoping justice prevails in the end and I'm sure she'll get what she has coming in time...
ah, yes. I love the Entitlement Era in which we live. No responsibility. Blame others. Let Paula Deen be the scapegoat here. What about Emeril? For years he was on TV, telling people to cook with butter and cream and sugar.

Julia Child's show, The French Chef, used ample amounts of butter, sugar, flour, beef, and even....LARD (such a lovely medium-chain fatty acid!)! Were people getting Type 2 Diabetes and blaming her in 1970?

We all know you can't eat what we all shove in our mouths daily and get away with it unless we are willing to work it off. I didn't get fat by watching Paula Deen, Emeril, or anyone else. I was well into my eating habits LONG before the Food Network ever came along.

My endo came back from a conference on diabetes last year where there was a study on the Western Diet. The consensus was that an average American on a Western diet that eats out of the home twice a week is taking in, on average, 3800 calories PER DAY. PER DAY! That is insane! Look at the back of any food item and read the Nutritional Facts--it says "based on a 2,000 calorie diet".

People are not going to lose weight or change their minds because Paula Deen gets her "comeuppance". They are only going to when they realize they cannot continue their lives as they are.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:06 AM

oh, and let me just add I am NOT a Paula Deen fan. I agree she is a giant sell-out.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:19 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
That's interesting about the 3800 calories per day because I eat about 5-6 small meals a day and I can't get more than 2k calories in my body even if I tried. I often have to resort to Big Macs and other junk food to try to break the 2k barrier. That's the reason why I eat 5-6 meals so I can stuff as many calories into my body I can. I work out about 3x a week, though.

I have the same breakfast every morning: coffee, 2 eggs, sausage, cereal with whole milk and some fruit. A mid morning snack consists of a protein shake. Lunch is often chicken and rice/beans/vegs, snack is a candy bar and handful of peanuts, dinner is Salmon (or other lean protein) with 2 sides, and then before bed I'll have cottage cheese and some fruit. I drink home made sweet tea all day long (though I don't sweeten it too much). The thing about my meals is that I MAKE EVERYTHING MYSELF (except for the candy bar). Even the eggs are from my friend's farm. I have never been more than 160-170lbs since college (I'm 31).

I believe gaining weight can be harder than losing weight. It's easier to NOT eat than to force yourself to eat more than what your body can take. It's easier to be active and restrict yoru diet than it is to try to build lean mass at the gym (it's all about calories --if you can't replace it adequately then there's no point in trying to gain mass unless you want to do steroids).

Yea, some of us have weight issues, too

Old 01-18-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
That's interesting about the 3800 calories per day because I eat about 5-6 small meals a day and I can't get more than 2k calories in my body even if I tried. I often have to resort to Big Macs and other junk food to try to break the 2k barrier. That's the reason why I eat 5-6 meals so I can stuff as many calories into my body I can. I work out about 3x a week, though.

I have the same breakfast every morning: coffee, 2 eggs, sausage, cereal with whole milk and some fruit. A mid morning snack consists of a protein shake. Lunch is often chicken and rice/beans/vegs, snack is a candy bar and handful of peanuts, dinner is Salmon (or other lean protein) with 2 sides, and then before bed I'll have cottage cheese and some fruit. I drink home made sweet tea all day long (though I don't sweeten it too much). The thing about my meals is that I MAKE EVERYTHING MYSELF (except for the candy bar). Even the eggs are from my friend's farm. I have never been more than 160-170lbs since college (I'm 31).

I believe gaining weight can be harder than losing weight. It's easier to NOT eat than to force yourself to eat more than what your body can take. It's easier to be active and restrict yoru diet than it is to try to build lean mass at the gym (it's all about calories --if you can't replace it adequately then there's no point in trying to gain mass unless you want to do steroids).

Yea, some of us have weight issues, too
the 3800 calories is an average of most people eating a typical Western diet, and eating out twice a week. Yours is a lean diet, it seems. Pretty healthy, even with a candy bar. The majority of Americans are not eating even remotely close to what you eat. it's more like this:

2-3 cups of coffee with cream and sugar at 60 calories each (120-180 cals)
Donut or other pastry (300-400 calories)
juice (120 cals for a 6 oz glass)

mid-morning:

energy drink or soda (100-120 calories)
snack or candy bar (200-300 calories)

lunch:

2 potato skins from the loaded potato skin plate (500 calories)
TGI Friday's Chipotle Grilled Steak Sandwich (1509 calories)
side of fries (290 calories)

mid-afternoon:
2-4 cookies or popcorn (300-500 calories)

dinner:
meatloaf, 2 -1/2 inch slices (400 calories)
potatoes, 1 baked russet with butter, salt (250 calories)
green beans with butter (120 calories)

dessert:
2 scoops vanilla ice cream, approximately 1 1/3 c., or 1/8 of birthday layer cake (420 calories)

^4810 calories.

Seems like a lot of food, but I know a TON of people who eat just like that, at least three times a week. It's normal to them.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
ah, yes. I love the Entitlement Era in which we live. No responsibility. Blame others. Let Paula Deen be the scapegoat here. What about Emeril? For years he was on TV, telling people to cook with butter and cream and sugar.

Julia Child's show, The French Chef, used ample amounts of butter, sugar, flour, beef, and even....LARD (such a lovely medium-chain fatty acid!)! Were people getting Type 2 Diabetes and blaming her in 1970?

We all know you can't eat what we all shove in our mouths daily and get away with it unless we are willing to work it off. I didn't get fat by watching Paula Deen, Emeril, or anyone else. I was well into my eating habits LONG before the Food Network ever came along.

My endo came back from a conference on diabetes last year where there was a study on the Western Diet. The consensus was that an average American on a Western diet that eats out of the home twice a week is taking in, on average, 3800 calories PER DAY. PER DAY! That is insane! Look at the back of any food item and read the Nutritional Facts--it says "based on a 2,000 calorie diet".

People are not going to lose weight or change their minds because Paula Deen gets her "comeuppance". They are only going to when they realize they cannot continue their lives as they are.
or maybe I am just a type 2 diabetic that knows better now.. never denied my situation wasn't 100% my fault and I took extreme measures to remedy the situation. However, I now use what I know to teach others and encourage them to not make the same mistakes I made. To mix me up with the entitleds is beyond an insult, especially since that is one of my favorite terms for describing most of the people I can't stand.. Everything I have is from me. I did something to earn it or deserve it and that includes both the good and the bad.
paula is just a POS sellout trying to make some money off her own ignorance and I still hope she gets what is coming to her..

Old 01-18-2012, 01:02 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
Well, I just have to say that I just had a FANTASTIC chicken fried steak from Bill Miller's and man it was good.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:16 PM

That's a good way to cross the 2000 calorie point.. not that there's a problem with going out to eat every now and then and enjoying a nice meal.
BTW, have you ever actually counted all your calories in one day? I'm closer to 1000-1500 calories/day, but that's how I'm supposed to eat and I actually do count everything going in; right down to the individual parts. Most will say a handful of this or some of that, but I can usually remember the specific number.
Anyhow.. none of this has to do with paula deen, though. My beef with her is she knew she had a disease and didn't use it to help others. So often we see the tragedies and other bad things and wonder why they happen, but it's usually to teach others a lesson. She failed there big time! Instead of learning about the disease and educating others, she chose to ignore it until there was a chance to make some money off it. I'm sure she'll eventually figure out she screwed this up, but it'll more than likely be too late by then..

Last edited by rd2007; 01-18-2012 at 01:44 PM..

Old 01-18-2012, 07:00 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,056 times
ants... must save... ants.... chickens eat ants.... must save them.... ooooh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio