Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2012, 01:35 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,887,776 times

Advertisements

Heck, this is one of the reasons we moved to San Antonio! After moving from here to Belgium, I remember one exceptionally icy cold morning when I was scraping several inches of ice and snow off my car thinking I never had to mess with the stuff in Texas!

It's much easier to deal with extreme heat than extreme cold...

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 03:31 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,755,552 times
And, it definitely could be worse... you could be one of the thousands in the NE right now still without electricity after the storms there... during record high temps!

Old 07-01-2012, 10:22 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,671,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
Funny you say that, I thought it has been relatively cool this summer so far. You realize it has been hotter in other parts of the US?
It hasnt been bad, but it has been 25 years of Texas summers where scorching temps are the norm. Other places that have been hotter this year are dealing with weather anomalies.

By no means a knock on Texas. Just might be ready to try something different.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:44 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,158,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Just another in a long list of reasons the wife and I have started discussing (very early stages) leaving Texas.
Just remember everything's relative. You move back north where they have a real problem when it gets to 100° (worse with no electricity) and high humidity. Or here when it routinely goes past 105° with normally low humidity and few power outtages in the summer time. I was born up north and can tell you some summers were really crappy. But it's your call.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:46 AM

4,132 posts, read 7,158,283 times
And I almost forgot... Amazon.com is now charging sales tax on your online purchases. 8.125% to be exact. I don't see how this is going to help a whole lot with local retailers because they're still charging more than Amazon.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:24 AM

7,105 posts, read 11,745,210 times
It narrows the gap - the added sales tax and the inconvenience of having to wait could help tip the scales. Either way - huge increase in sales taxes, both for state AND local governments, since the tax will be paid to the state AND the city in which the buyer resides.

Gonna be an accounting nightmare for Amazon, though!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:07 AM

332 posts, read 526,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
And I almost forgot... Amazon.com is now charging sales tax on your online purchases. 8.125% to be exact. I don't see how this is going to help a whole lot with local retailers because they're still charging more than Amazon.
when was this? i ordered something from amazon last week and wasnt charged sales tax. places are in california and florida though...

Quote:
Companies selling over the Internet are subject to the same sales tax collection requirements as any other retailers. Remote sellers (including Internet retailers and catalog companies) are generally required to collect taxes where they have a physical selling presence. If they do not have any such presence, they are not required to collect sales taxes.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:39 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,380,013 times
Default Leaving one's body to Science upon Leaving this Earth

Recently had the "experience" of learning thru the death of a family member that IF you want to leave your body to science for research (and he did having worked at the UTHSC for 25+ yrs), there ARE RESTRICTIONS.

--You can not be over 6 ft tall

--You can not weigh more than 225 lbs

--Your body will now be kept for 5 yrs (use to be 1 yr) and then cremated with the ashes returned to your family at the end of that period

--You CAN donate your eyes to be harvested up to 24 hours AFTER DEATH

--Most other organs must be harvested immediately

I share this in hopes that it helps someone else thru a difficult process, understand or know that there are options to help others after you draw your last breath, and keep others from the 4 1/2 hour fact finding mission we took on last week at 2am (NOT the optimum time to be trying to learn all this).

Hope this helps someone on this forum...either in understanding what is available or needed.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-02-2012 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: Paka, my condolences - but this is OT for this forum - this is the best I can do to keep it local.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:01 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,887,776 times
Paka

Sorry to hear about your loss (I read about it somewhere else), and thanks for passing this info on. I am an organ donor (as everyone should be) but never contemplated donating what remains for scientific research.

At this time I am too tall according to the restrictions you posted, but since I expect to "shrink" with old age that might make me eligible later on in life!

There is no greater gift that a person can give than to allow for their organs to help others live after their death. Why people feel the need to "take them with them" is beyond me...

Cheers! M2

Old 07-02-2012, 07:26 PM

4,300 posts, read 7,166,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessQQmorePEWPEW View Post
when was this? i ordered something from amazon last week and wasnt charged sales tax. places are in california and florida though...
I think this started with orders placed starting July 1. If the order was placed through Amazon on or after that date, it would be subject to sales tax collection in Texas, and I don't think it matters what state the product was shipped from.

You actually are supposed to pay the sales tax yourself on anything ordered over the internet, from a catalog, etc., even if the seller doesn't have a physical presence in the State of Texas. I don't think this is something that is really enforced on individuals, though.

As far as the City's portion of the tax, I wonder what happens if someone lives in Alamo Heights, Castle Hills, etc. Can they determine if the buyer is a resident of one of these small municipalities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio