U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 03:46 PM

6,256 posts, read 8,974,729 times

Advertisements

Yep - let's use the cheapest thing out there to supply our troops with. It's worked real well for the Italians and French in WWII.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 07:00 PM

5,634 posts, read 13,934,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Yep - let's use the cheapest thing out there to supply our troops with. It's worked real well for the Italians and French in WWII.....
Not saying we should arm our military with sling shots, but we definitely do not need 200 F-35s or 500 F-22s. Seriously.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:12 PM

874 posts, read 1,155,196 times
No doubt our military costs incredible sums of money, but maintaining a technological edge over our enemies and potential ones is going to be pricey. The jets we buy have to last for a very long time, so they have to be superior from the outset. That comes at a price. We are buying them to fight today's war...and tomorrow's! Delicate balance between quality, quantity, and capability. When we decide to kick butt, we need to have the right boots then, not later

Old 11-17-2011, 07:20 PM

890 posts, read 1,523,984 times
Not saying there's not some waste out there that can't be trimmed, but the idea of stripping the military isn't a good one.

Remember the late '70s/early 80s. We don't need to go back there, it'll only cost more when we have to ramp back up again.....and we will.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:52 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,404,873 times
Default Pork, a local topic,

I feel bad for the navy guy that was laid off , there is a tough job market out there right now-still- Dubya truly sweetened up the pork barrel for militay subcontractor profiteering, with the other hand, if you know what I mean.
I hardly think the U.S. would become helpless with somewhat less than
20% of the GDP spent on the skyrocketing defense spending.
Ludicrous- Cain and other GOP candidates debating and declaring war on Iran on television. What about congressional approval?
Understandable is the fear of the development of a nuke-still-Their war mongering sounds more than a little bit nuts to me.
As loathesome as war is maybe their suppositions are correct ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
good. slash more from defense. take away those toys that we dont need. scale down the wars. stop causing wars.

dont wanna get all political (im not a liberal, for clarification) but the military has seen enough money. spend that money elsewhere that will have an almost immediate impact on the american economy

Old 11-17-2011, 08:26 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,091,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
Not even sure if that is even the correct term to use. I saw this on my hubby's friends FB page that her hubby got laid off from the Navy.... apparently 1 of the 3000 that they are letting go of.

Is this treated as if you were laid off from working in the corporate world? I am not related nor do I know anyone personally who is in the military so not sure how things work.

Do they have to look for another job? go back to school? I mean whoever said that the military was stable to be in??
Trying to get this thread back on track, since it appears you only have this information through Facebook we're not even sure if he's local to the San Antonio area. If not, than this thread really should be elsewhere in the forum.

But if he is, he might have options. For one, he should have VA educational benefits he could use if he wants to pursue his education or some form of technical training. If he doesn't want to go that route, then the natural thing would be for him to look for a job just as anyone would do after being released from one. There are more services for military personnel transitioning back to the civilian world, and as stated depending on his skills/education while in the Navy he might be able to find a civilian job quite easily. Obviously some professions in uniform transfer better than others.

As for the stability of the military, it rises and ebbs just like the economy and job market. When one goes down, the others follow; and usually/hopefully they will reverse that trend quickly. The country is in a pinch at the moment, we are in deep debt and our elected officials are trying to find a way to reduce it. While some may think the defense budget is bloated, they need to remember that our forces and equipment have been engaged in two major contingencies (Afghanistan and Iraq) for over a decade, which has taken a heavy toll. Fourth generation fighters like the F-16 and F-15 are design concepts from the 1970s and the older models were built in the 1980s. The first prototype of the C-130, the mainstay of the USAF's tactical airlift mission, flew in August 1954. Many aircraft are actually older than the crews that are flying them.

While there are many ways the military can be made more efficient, that should not come at an expense to effectiveness. History has shown us many times before that severe drawdowns only result in the need for a rapid build-up usually within a decade, which costs much more than the savings generated by the reduction. I think everyone in the military understands and accepts that our belts need to be tightened, but only if it is done smartly. Whether than happens or not is to be seen, but most definitely it is not wise to implement those budget reductions by broad cuts in personnel...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio