U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 10:00 AM

330 posts, read 1,234,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
This is true. My husband has been pulled over several times in his uniform and gear (he's a security guard and got plenty of tickets when he was wearing his uniform but no gun in the past ) and he's only gotten warnings since he started carrying the gun.

He thinks the police are sympathetic because they figure security guards all want to be cops...I think they just don't want to ticket someone with a gun.
My theory is just that most police officers are pro-gun, and will like a person who is also pro-gun.

My friend who carries the CHL said he thinks it's because officers feel the CHL carriers will "have their back." And that this would only work if you seem like a good community citizen --- meaning, if your car reeks of pot and you're rolling on 24's, a CHL isn't exactly a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 10:33 AM

6,257 posts, read 8,991,679 times
Ah....the 20's age bracket - THAT explains a lot! BTDT, an' if them t-shirts could talk....

You're right - as I've gotten older, I've found more "understanding" from the cops - of course a lot of that likely has to do that my maturity has also taught me to curb MY 'tude!<G>

Old 11-18-2011, 10:40 AM

11,144 posts, read 20,332,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drzy View Post
11 times in 14 years at about 10K miles / yr. The majority of those are were when I was pre-mid 20's though. I don't think cops give as many warnings to young males.

Only two have been in San Antonio. One was just after the Crossroads Mall exit on I-10 East, 13 mph over, so I wasn't surprised to not get a warning there. The other was ~45 days after I moved to TX, and I was pulled over for not having a front plate. I got ticketed for both that and because I hadn't changed my old state license to a TX license yet. I was a little surprised to get ticketed for both of those, with no warning for either. People told me I could get them dismissed at the courthouse by getting the items taken care of and showing evidence I had done so, so I did that, and the court folks told me that was a myth and I had to pay for both.
My husband got a ticket for not having the front license plate. We paid $10 court cost, showed a picture of the car when it still had its front plate as proof that we had put the plate back on, and that was that. This was about 15 years ago though...it was a park policeman who gave us the ticket, back when they were still called park rangers, and it was a nasty surprise to us that they could give real tickets. I think the only reason he really stopped us was that back then I looked like I was about 14 and it was during school hours...it was my lunch break at UIW and we always went to the park to eat lunch together.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:46 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,184,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
And trust me....get a coupla tickets, and your INSURANCE cost will make ya wish you'd done it!
depends on the infraction really.

my record WAS riddled with simple moving violations and 2 speeding tickets. the only time my insurance premium went up was after the accident i had where some #@$#@$ in a red jetta cut me off and i didnt react fast enough.

how much did it go up? 5$. love you geico

/FWIW i pay 48 a month for FC on an 00 rav4 and mid 90s volvo

Old 11-18-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Oh, I dunno....I jump in my 300-+ hp F150 and do 1-300 mile days, or the wife's MKS w/the 355 hp Ecoboost.
300 hp only gets up and goes so fast when you factor in the 5k lbs your truck weighs

/now 230hp in a turbo charged, sub 3k sedan, THAT hauls some butt!
//mks are kinda beefy also, close to 4k lbs.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Haha! Thanks for the laugh, I needed it! Meanwhile, I am "speeding" citation-free from incompetent places with artificially low speed limits & I had an electricity bill of $50 for the whole of last month! While the electric car drove 50-mile daily commutes. Ahhhh, the efficiency of electricity.

But will the batteries last? We shall see.

OP, again, best of luck. I think defensive driving courses are the best solution. They show your insurance company you're serious. Or at least trying to be.
mother in law has a 2000-ish hybrid that just had its battery replaced (the lithion ones). cost her around 2grand, but honda (since shes a loyal customer) paid for 1/3rd of it.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:26 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,991,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
300 hp only gets up and goes so fast when you factor in the 5k lbs your truck weighs
Yep...but on the road, she'll eat some highway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
/now 230hp in a turbo charged, sub 3k sedan, THAT hauls some butt!
//mks are kinda beefy also, close to 4k lbs.
Yeah...it's AWD, so if you hammer it, it gits rightdangnow - to be honest, I've not yet had the chance/need to give it full throttle, usually b/c the better half is with me...

Old 11-18-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Yep...but on the road, she'll eat some highway!

Yeah...it's AWD, so if you hammer it, it gits rightdangnow - to be honest, I've not yet had the chance/need to give it full throttle, usually b/c the better half is with me...
for shame! you gotta WOT at least once a week, even if its only up to the speed limit.

/LOVE hearing the sound of my volvos 5cyl at WOT... it just screams and sounds so much nicer than my intergra at WOT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio