Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 08:52 PM

381 posts, read 768,215 times

Advertisements

I will be buying a home here in Selma. What do you guys think? I work on Perrin beitle, so my job is only 7 miles away. I know that there's an airforce base close, but what about the neighborhood and schools there since I have a 4rd old? Pretty good price too for $120k ad 1500 ft and brand new. Thanks for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 09:23 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
So yer buying an old Centex model home. Unless they're going to replace the carpet, it won't last long. Models can be a good deal if you know what to look for and ask about. What about warranties? The builder requires the subs to warranty their work and parts for one year, a lot of those warranties are gone- like the H/W heater. Depending on long the house has sat will depend on what is going to be covered by any warranties that are left but frankly, it's been my experiences that the builder sales folks may tell you it's covered but it's not. Make sure any warranty is in writing and I'd have a meeting with the customer service rep before signing a contract so you KNOW what the folks that are actually going to be handling your issues are going to cover. It's not uncommon for the sales and construction staff to have no clue what warranties are actually on model homes.
Now for the bad. Assuming you intend to live there for more than a year or so, the Plasticity Index in that area is close to max. That pretty much means the soil in that area is not conducive for a stable foundation. Expect foundation issues over the years as it's going to happen. The house will have a 10 year warranty from date of completion so it's most likely into year 2 or 3 already. Take a golf ball with you and put it on the floor where you don't have carpet. If it takes off rolling, the foundation is already having issues. You can also ask the sales folks what the PI is on that lot. It's a required disclosure and it's required AT the sales office for you to see. If it's above 60, it's a problem you'll be dealing with for as long as you own it. Otherwise, Centex builds an engineered home using engineered panel wall construction. What that means to the buyer is that all studs are in their proper locations as well as all structural components. It comes with an engineers stamp stating the house is structurally sound and all loads have been calculated and engineered. For the builder, it shifts liability to the engineer but it also takes the responsibility out of the hands of the framers who may not know how to read plans but can follow pictures like those that come with each panel wall house. While I'd like to say the folks swinging the hammers are great carpenters, most are absolutely clueless and uneducated. Doesn't make them bad people, just folks that are willing to work for cheap.
Look it over real tight and get another set of eyes on it like a friend. Look for the details, turn on every light, every switch, run water- LOTS of water every where, open every cabinet, every drawer, check all caulking outside. Eyeball the drainage and make sure any heavy rains are going to flow away from the house. Just give it a good look before signing at close. Once you close, it falls into warranty and if they tell you differently, they're lying to you. You won't be the first to fall for that crock either. Best of luck.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:43 PM

Oh wow, you are talking about things I didn't even know about,like the elasticity of the ground. Well the house will be built from the ground up, so it wil not be an old model home at least. What do you think about KB homes? Or do you suggest a better builder and a different area? How about cibolo? Thanks for your usefull knowledge btw. I'm a first time buyer and don't know much. I'm interested in the Leon valley also. What about the ground here: 11710 meadowood oak, San antoni 78254? The area is nice, same builder, but the houses here are 1400ft but also cost $120k, even though they are smaller by 100 feet. It would be built from the ground up too. Thanks again.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:55 AM

Man I just read up about all the bad things that may come from buying one of these new houses. I'm not saying that they are all bad, BUT you have to do your homework before buying any house, be it new or used. First you have to get a real estate attorney and an accredited home inspector. It makes sense, since this will be the biggest investment in your life. Don't sign anything that says:" if there's a problem with your house, it will be solved through arbitration". That means that you WILL NOT be able to sue your home builder if they did a poor job in constructing your house. It seems that from what I have read for the last few hours, that it's better to buy an older house rather than some of these new homes that they are building with cheap materials and cheap labor. How ironic is that? I knew that there was a catch when they only take 60 days to build your house. That's too damn short if you asked me. They seem to rush through everything. I think I'm going to go for a used house better. Now how used? I don't really know. I guess I'll have to keep researching too see when is it that they started using all these cheap materials made from China. What a shame that it has come to this. Thanks again TRapperL. There seems to be a big issue over here in san antonio with the uneven soil called expansive soil. Also you have to be careful that your house is not built were there were cotton farms because of all the toxic pesticides that were used there, which stay on the soil. Damn, I have my work cut out for me, but I'm in no rush.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:07 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
They farmed cotton in San Antonio?! Where?!

Old 11-02-2011, 07:14 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Cotton was once a major crop around the SA area - but it seems to me that it generally stopped long before the huge jump in pesticide use....but could be wrong.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:24 AM

Has any of you guys here bought a new or old house recently? I'm starting to get a headache and feeling paranoid.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:33 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Depends on how you define "recently"....

To me, if I'm looking at an existing (used) home, I automatically factor in at least $10k worth of repairs/updates that will need to be done within 12 months of purchase that I CAN'T see - above anything I CAN see. If the house is still a "deal" at that price, then I'd be willing to proceed. If it's marginal......I'm walking.

Buying an older home generally means older appliances and MUCH less energy efficiency. It's offset by (typically) much better "bones" within the structure itself. We compromised with our last one - found a builder we liked (Plantation Homes), made the changes we wanted up front (3 pages worth!), and then I monitored the construction almost daily. My advantage is that I've got a pretty broad knowledge of things, so I wasn't concerned about being "qualified" to overlook the process. I had a friend that's familiar with concrete work watch the pad pour, everything else I kept an eye on.
If you're not comfortable with doing that, then hire a GOOD inspector (several have been referenced in other topics here) to oversee the construction. Remember that what he's selling you is his time and experience, so be prepared to pay if you want someone that KNOWS what they're doing.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:52 AM

291 posts, read 607,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by en28so View Post
Has any of you guys here bought a new or old house recently? I'm starting to get a headache and feeling paranoid.
I purchased a home 8/27/2010. I went with Newleaf, and I am happy with them, and would recommend them to anyone. I looked at other builders, and IMO I don't trust Centex and KB. I'm not saying that they're bad builders, but I wouldn't buy one. I also would recomend doing lots and lots of research before you buy. You need to consider the following:

affordability- including taxes, energy costs, possible repair issues (older homes)
Type- size sq ft, story.. 1 or 2, garden, townhome (all have different benefits)
New vs old- both have great points, but this is your choice

Location- distance from work, school (school ratings) traffic, crime,

The point I'm trying to make is buying a house is awesome, just don't rush into it, and research research and research. When you covered everything you will truly make the right decision. ...one more thing..get an independent inspector. ...good luck!

Old 11-02-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apal View Post
I purchased a home 8/27/2010. I went with Newleaf, and I am happy with them, and would recommend them to anyone. I looked at other builders, and IMO I don't trust Centex and KB. I'm not saying that they're bad builders, but I wouldn't buy one. I also would recomend doing lots and lots of research before you buy. You need to consider the following:

affordability- including taxes, energy costs, possible repair issues (older homes)
Type- size sq ft, story.. 1 or 2, garden, townhome (all have different benefits)
New vs old- both have great points, but this is your choice

Location- distance from work, school (school ratings) traffic, crime,

The point I'm trying to make is buying a house is awesome, just don't rush into it, and research research and research. When you covered everything you will truly make the right decision. ...one more thing..get an independent inspector. ...good luck!
Newleaf? I haven't researched them yet. I'm glad things are working out for you. What community do you live in if I can ask? I'm looking for something not too far from perrin beitle and loop 410. Yes, I will be getting an inspector and possibly a real estate attorney. I'm also considering an older 2 or 3 bedroom condo, which might be less of a headache.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio