U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 08:19 PM

204 posts, read 288,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Neither is that secure. Both methods can be compromised.
Anything can be compromised. Why live life in fear?

I was a cashier at a grocery store once. I could have easily taken someone's check out of the drawer and done what ever the hell I wanted to, or was capable of with their name, address, phone number, routing number, and account number.

People that paid with cards - I had no way of getting any of their info, I didn't even touch the card since they swiped it themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 08:26 PM

5,629 posts, read 6,438,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grf430 View Post

I was a cashier at a grocery store once. I could have easily taken someone's check out of the drawer and done what ever the hell I wanted to, or was capable of with their name, address, phone number, routing number, and account number.

People that paid with cards - I had no way of getting any of their info, I didn't even touch the card since they swiped it themselves.
Who said I am living in fear? Do you pay for your meal at a restaurant with a card? When that waiter walks off with it to swipe it, they can easily obtain information by skimming it or just memorizing the card numbers.

Being cautious and fearful are two different things. I always monitor my card activity no matter what.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Who said I am living in fear? Do you pay for your meal at a restaurant with a card? When that waiter walks off with it to swipe it, they can easily obtain information by skimming it or just memorizing the card numbers.

Being cautious and fearful are two different things. I always monitor my card activity no matter what.
That wasn't directed at you. It was more of a general statement.

Like you said, monitoring is key. I use cards for virtually everything. Even if that waitress were to take down the card number, I can check the activity or cancel the card instantly via mobile phone.

Disputing charges is relatively easy also, especially with a top notch card like AMEX.

Cards just add an extra layer of protection versus checks which are directly linked to your checking account.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:57 PM

5,629 posts, read 6,438,549 times
Quote:
That wasn't directed at you. It was more of a general statement.

Like you said, monitoring is key. I use cards for virtually everything. Even if that waitress were to take down the card number, I can check the activity or cancel the card instantly via mobile phone.

Disputing charges is relatively easy also, especially with a top notch card like AMEX.

Cards just add an extra layer of protection versus checks which are directly linked to your checking account.
I only have one credit card and it is AMEX. I have been very happy with them so far. I did have some minor issues using it in Japan but one call was all it took to fix them.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:02 PM

2,216 posts, read 3,992,783 times
Quote:

funny you mention that....we had this happen to us. I wrote a check at a grocery store. The cashier took my info and used it to pay her bills online. She paid on her own acct, capital one and stuff like that. Took me for about $1,000. The bank was able to locate the idiot since she paid her own stuff but of course they could not give me her information due to her privacy. Ain't that a Bit**? Anyway in the end I did get my money back but it was irritating that it was done so easily and that their rights were more important than mine.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
funny you mention that....we had this happen to us. I wrote a check at a grocery store. The cashier took my info and used it to pay her bills online. She paid on her own acct, capital one and stuff like that. Took me for about $1,000. The bank was able to locate the idiot since she paid her own stuff but of course they could not give me her information due to her privacy. Ain't that a Bit**? Anyway in the end I did get my money back but it was irritating that it was done so easily and that their rights were more important than mine.
That sucks. It's a prime example though. At least with credit card fraud, you don't lose actual money. With check/debit card fraud, chances are that the cash will be missing from your account until it gets settled.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:24 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,519,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
Watch out your personal anecdote might be seen as condescending as it doesn't mesh with the personal opinions(all be them wrong/ misguided) of another poster.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:02 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,081,736 times
aw, smugboy, at it again I see.

I have to say I am stunned by the amount of people pushing for credit cards. Isn't that how sooo many folks got into this big financial hole that we are still trying to climb out of....this charge it now and worry about how to pay for it later mentality??

But, I guess that's me being misguided and wrong and not with the "modern times" because, after all, that is the [new] American dream, isn't it? The dream of living large and beyond our means on borrowed credit until we find ourselves standing on the curb of our foreclosed house, watching our fancy SUV being repossessed while we try to pawn off the 100-gallon fishtank we just HAD to have, and the power washer, the big screen tv, the fancy stereo system and the custom made Italian sofa just so we could buy some food for the kids and the fancy $1800 designer puppy. And then we file for bankruptcy, get some new credit cards and start the whole cycle again. Hoorah!

Sigh....

Old 11-27-2011, 10:32 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,519,931 times
All though this is going far off topic, no credit cards aren't responsible for the financial situation of the country. Personal financial irresponsibility is, buying too much house or car is with no thought to future repercussions. But none of that has anything to do with using a debit card that pulls directly from a personal checking account. In fact I would say writing a check has the potential for worse repercussions ie; bouncing.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:43 PM

935 posts, read 1,754,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
I have to say I am stunned by the amount of people pushing for credit cards. Isn't that how sooo many folks got into this big financial hole that we are still trying to climb out of....this charge it now and worry about how to pay for it later mentality??
No, that's not how sooo many folks got into a big financial hole. Credit cards don't cause people to spend irresponsibly, it's very possible to spend within your means regardless of whether you're using plastic or cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or