U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 12:23 PM

581 posts, read 1,036,761 times

Advertisements

Like this? Apparently I'm doing the wrong thing to make money. Why work my butt off when I can just go into a store and attempt to purchase that years "big ticket" item, get hurt, and sue 'em!

http://www.ksat.com/news/Woman-suing...j/-/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 10:52 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,340,275 times
It wasn't in a grocery store, but earlier this year I held open a door for a mother and her stroller at a Barnes & Noble, and the woman just walked right past me. Didn't smile, didn't say thank you nor even look at me or acknowledge my existence in any way.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:57 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,420,333 times
Ugh, just got back from HEB. Store was fairly empty. Had to go to the toy aisle to pick up one more gift. There were two kids, about 7 and 9, playing in the aisle. Grabbing the balls from the huge ball bin on the endcap, and alternating between sending the balls over the gondola shelving into the aisle, and bouncing the ball off of the overstock on the very top shelf to knock it down. When they knocked off several items, they would just move further down. At one point, when I was moving down the aisle, I had to duck to avoid being hit by a ball.

This went on for at least 20 minutes (I had to return to the toy section because I realized I grabbed the wrong item). Finally, I could take no more. I told them to go find their parents, and to stop destroying the merchandise.

I really was expecting someone to confront me in the checkout lane. Almost wish they had...

Old 12-27-2011, 04:53 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,173,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
It wasn't in a grocery store, but earlier this year I held open a door for a mother and her stroller at a Barnes & Noble, and the woman just walked right past me. Didn't smile, didn't say thank you nor even look at me or acknowledge my existence in any way.
I hate when that happens. It's a cultural thing, nobody taught the lady with the kids to graciously accept the door assistance. I get stuff like that at work, too... but that's okay because none of these people pay my bills so to hell with 'em.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:44 PM

65 posts, read 99,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Ugh, just got back from HEB. Store was fairly empty. Had to go to the toy aisle to pick up one more gift. There were two kids, about 7 and 9, playing in the aisle. Grabbing the balls from the huge ball bin on the endcap, and alternating between sending the balls over the gondola shelving into the aisle, and bouncing the ball off of the overstock on the very top shelf to knock it down. When they knocked off several items, they would just move further down. At one point, when I was moving down the aisle, I had to duck to avoid being hit by a ball.

This went on for at least 20 minutes (I had to return to the toy section because I realized I grabbed the wrong item). Finally, I could take no more. I told them to go find their parents, and to stop destroying the merchandise.

I really was expecting someone to confront me in the checkout lane. Almost wish they had...
Good for you! I wish more people would confront these 'feral children'!

Old 12-30-2011, 07:03 AM

45 posts, read 54,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
I hate when that happens. It's a cultural thing, nobody taught the lady with the kids to graciously accept the door assistance. I get stuff like that at work, too... but that's okay because none of these people pay my bills so to hell with 'em.
Yep, the good 'ole "cultural thing" excuse always works in SA. I get sick of saying, "Exuse me", when I need to walk in front of a person, only to hear NOTHING back. I guess that's "cultural", as well???

Old 12-30-2011, 07:25 AM

10 posts, read 15,218 times
Was she Asian? Not racist comment or anything , I am Asian myself

Asian ppl, especially elder Asian ppl always do that which is annoying and band manner!
My mom does that lol I guess she is in her own world doing (concentrating) something and can't
see anything...lololol

Old 12-30-2011, 04:37 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,173,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueU81 View Post
Yep, the good 'ole "cultural thing" excuse always works in SA. I get sick of saying, "Exuse me", when I need to walk in front of a person, only to hear NOTHING back. I guess that's "cultural", as well???
I guess so because my ol' man taught me to reply to an "excuse me" by getting out of the way and returning the "excuse me" or saying "pardon me" or "sorry".

Old 12-31-2011, 08:20 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,583,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
I guess so because my ol' man taught me to reply to an "excuse me" by getting out of the way and returning the "excuse me" or saying "pardon me" or "sorry".

Those would be called manners

Old 01-01-2012, 11:30 AM

1,414 posts, read 1,869,311 times
I see that all the time. Esp. from the well to do in the malls. They expect the servant class to open the doors. Walking through Northstar, some of the matrons and matrons in training seem to think they are the Royal Family or the Pope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or