U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 06:50 PM

5,635 posts, read 13,982,312 times

Advertisements

Just order all your groceries online and have them delivered. Remember, tip well! Oh wait, this is not possible yet?

We did this all the time at UT-Austin in early 2000s. Worked well and the guys made a killing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 06:52 PM

3,931 posts, read 4,706,789 times
I hate it too. But will not allow myself to indulge in 'store rage'. Most people are nice, however. Someone even helped me carry some fairly heavy stuff to my car today, so I'm thankful already and it's not even Thanksgiving yet!

Old 11-23-2011, 07:44 PM

7,002 posts, read 10,294,231 times
I can't even remember what it's like to shop in a crowded grocery story. I almost always shop early in the morning. Occasionally, I'll shop in the evening at the HEB on Nacogdoches and New Braunfels which mostly has elderly customers. It's not that bad. In the middle of the night, I'll sometimes shop at the 24/7 HEB at Nacogdoches and O'Connor. I also shop at the HEB on Basse near Alamo Heights and I rarely see people on scooters. I did, however, have an elderly lady almost run me over while I was in the middle of the crosswalk.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:55 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,188,832 times
It amazes me how this time of year brings out the worst in people. On the road, in the store, at work. Living in a large city doesn't help. I'm glad for the holidays, but will be much happier when the next month is over.

I'm sure many of us will be out shopping over the next few days. I hope you remember to be courteous and not like the status quo in your shopping endeavors.

GF doesn't allow me grocery shopping with her, and I am fine with that. Better than fine.

May your aisles remain unblocked, your carts full of goodies, and your mind balanced!

Old 11-23-2011, 08:37 PM

231 posts, read 732,227 times
Been here in SA for a little over a year, I have said this time and time again, Texans are some of the nicest people I have ever met and that includes folks in the grocery stores.

I have never had a rude experience in my local grocery store that sticks out in my mind. I think people here are crying over spilled milk. Maybe its just one's outlook on life that makes one complain about other patrons.

I went today to heb+ and yes the store was crowded but everyone was in a good mood. No problems here.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:38 PM

14,628 posts, read 31,230,954 times
LOL we just got told.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:48 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,083,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy22 View Post
I went today to heb+ and yes the store was crowded but everyone was in a good mood. No problems here.
I have to agree -- H-E-B WAS a mob scene today as I suspected, but all the employees were sooo nice and most of the customers were pleasant as well. Still walked out of there with my head spinning (and a bottle of wine to help recuperate ), but no fisticuffs!

Like me....most people might just be happy to be able to buy a turkey and have a kitchen to cook it in with this economy.

I don't understand the people already lining up for the black friday sales!!! So they will stand out there all day tomorrow and miss the entire thanksgiving dinner?? Just seems crazy to me...

Old 11-23-2011, 09:39 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,226,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I'm with ya, Texans used to be the most politest people you'd meet; but it seems that over the past few years things have gotten a bit less "civil."

I am kinda used to some rudeness as it is more common (and accepted) in Europe; but here I always grind my teeth a little when people walk in front of me without excusing themselves, or seeing men not holding the door for women, children or the elderly, or just general rudeness. I hope we are better than that, but it appears the standards of conduct in society are slipping...
Most of those people are NOT Texans, IMHO.

Never had these problems in Houston or Dallas, or any other town in TX...but San Antonio is a melting pot with people from all over b/c of the military...so different attitudes, etc...it's definitely my biggest "irk" about SA.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:49 PM

522 posts, read 993,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Just order all your groceries online and have them delivered. Remember, tip well! Oh wait, this is not possible yet?
it is if you live close enough to greenlings!

Old 11-23-2011, 11:36 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,344,996 times
Oh cmon guys, this sort of stuff happens everywhere to some extent.

I do agree with most of the sentiments posted here about rude behavior in public. I honestly believe it goes back to how folks were raised. If you weren't taught manners from your parents then you're probably gonna be one of the folks we're complaining about here.

The only time I ever lost my cool in a retail situation actually happened a couple of times in Virginia. It involved people pushing/knocking into my kids. My kids are well mannered and were taught to move out of the way if they were just standing around. You wouldn't believe the blank stares I would get after I called them on it "what me, I didn't do anything". Gave 'em a public dressing down on courtesy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or