Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 07:25 PM

89 posts, read 148,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
Havent seen my pet peeve mentioned, it irritates me when people tell me "excuse me" or "I'm sorry"

?? what are they suppossed to say?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-25-2011 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: repaired quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 04:44 AM

418 posts, read 784,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gungemini View Post
?? what are they suppossed to say?
Under some circumstances that irritates me as well...

Particularly when I have just arrived at a counter and started
browsing the items and someone pulls up beside me, reaches over
and starts browsing the same item while saying "excuse me".

Its almost as thought I'm expected to move away to give them
room. Sorry, I'm there first and likely won't be there long so they
can wait... despite the "excuse me".

Old 11-26-2011, 05:28 AM

522 posts, read 1,132,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I always say excuse me when I obstruct someone's view while passing in front of them. It's good ol' manners that would make this world a lot more pleasant if they were still used. I really don't know if it's the transplants or if San Antonio is just not as southern as other parts of Texas. My grandfather was from East Texas, so some of the things my family does, culturally, are a little different than what most people do in San Antonio.

i dunno, i think it could go either way with transplants. having grown up and lived as a life long pedestrian living elbow to elbow with your neighbors, i picked up a lot of skills to better coexist with others (in addition to "mama taught me manners"). it's the kind of stuff i found lacking when i moved here, like crossing the street in a parking lot (or anywhere) without looking or without making eye contact with a driver, or taking their sweet time crossing or obstructing a lane when walking to their car. though i guess it would depend on the person (and without actually knowing why someone acts the way they do and where they come from one can only unfairly speculate.) some might argue that someone used to being a pedestrian would feel entitled, while i would argue many who are not used to being pedestrians do not know how to interact with traffic, even in a parking lot.

but that's neither here nor there. i guess what i intended to say was, i notice more... mmm, manner faux pas in the parking lots than in the stores themselves usually.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:43 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,773,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
They = Management
Ah I see. Got to blame someone that works there. I get it now.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:38 AM

905 posts, read 2,958,824 times
I always say, "excuse me" when I pass in front of someone that is browsing the isle - that is - standing on one side while giving enough room for someone to pass in front of them. It's only polite, since you are technically obstructing their view.

I've had people say, "excuse me, but can I just reach in front of you and grab a ...." when I've 'taken too long' to decide which cheese to get (more like I can't find the one I'm looking for...) but not really any other time. I just let them go, since they did at least ask and didn't just reach in.

The ones that irritate me are the ones that like to park their carts in front of items instead of out of the way. I know it's hard to find a place to park your cart, but at this time of the year, don't stop and leave it in the middle of the isle while you walk over and peruse the coffee creamer selection or block part of the freezer sections while you decide which turkey you want to cook...

The others are the ones that like to have a friendly reunion or neighborhood gossip session in the midst of the isle. Please! Move out of the way!!

I've never had anyone give me the evil eye about using a credit card or one of those HEB cards you can get as a fund raiser. I guess I just don't pay attention to those behind me, except when the cashier accidentally pops the bag of stuffing like they did the other day, and you have to wait while the other kid bagging groceries has to go get you a replacement.

When I've been in the XX items or less checkout and have close to that number, but notice that the person behind me only has one or two items, sometimes I just let them go ahead of me. They usually complete their transactions by the time I get all my items out of the cart. Don't do it always, but if I'm not in a big hurry and can see that they are, I do. Maybe someday someone will return the favor.

And please, be careful in the parking lots - I refuse to park where I have to back out anymore due to the idiots that drive recklessly in the parking lot isles. Not just at HEB, either. Walmart, Sam's, Target, the library, school parking lot.........

Old 11-26-2011, 02:10 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,124 times
I found the solution to my HEB anger problem. I habitually go early in the morning right when it opens and I am literally the only one there. Well me and the overnight stockers and a few blue hairs. I did however have to go in the other day in the afternoon to get some cheap beer and on my way to the register I saw this fat cow sitting in the open freezer. I wanted to give her a slim fast. Perhaps she was cooling off her kankles??? I almost threw up in the store, but then realized I had cheap beer to drink at the house. What a disgrace. But seriously go early, or late night, and you will be golden.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:18 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
I found the solution to my HEB anger problem. I habitually go early in the morning right when it opens and I am literally the only one there. Well me and the overnight stockers and a few blue hairs. I did however have to go in the other day in the afternoon to get some cheap beer and on my way to the register I saw this fat cow sitting in the open freezer. I wanted to give her a slim fast. Perhaps she was cooling off her kankles??? I almost threw up in the store, but then realized I had cheap beer to drink at the house. What a disgrace. But seriously go early, or late night, and you will be golden.
tad harsh don't ya think?

Old 11-26-2011, 02:21 PM

Do you sit in the open freezer at HEB? Or do you partake in normal society's standards of not sitting on cartons of eggs while others are reaching around you? Just saying.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:24 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
Do you sit in the open freezer at HEB?
not yet...but when menopause hits, you just might find me standing naked in a H-E-B freezer

Old 11-26-2011, 02:35 PM

LOL! As long as you are not standing naked in front of my frozen veggies we are cool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio