U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 12:01 AM

1,365 posts, read 3,980,794 times

Advertisements

I've always LOVED the Riverwalk at Christmas time... No matter how many times I visit to see it all lit up it is always so magical...

It's awesome that our SA Riverwalk was ranked #8 in the top 10 destinations for Holiday Lights...

I am looking forward to seeing the new river expansion lights this year, that is an area I have not seen yet...

Top 10 Destinations for Holiday Lights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 07:30 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,326,216 times
I love it too...going to try to make the parade tonight. Curious to see these LED lights.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:18 AM

3,471 posts, read 17,290,765 times
I don't like that they wrapped the tree trunks and did not drape the lights out of the trees. maybe i just saw the preliminary light testing. I hope the lights are draped off the trees over the water. We'll see

Old 11-25-2011, 01:05 PM

1,365 posts, read 3,980,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
I don't like that they wrapped the tree trunks and did not drape the lights out of the trees. maybe i just saw the preliminary light testing. I hope the lights are draped off the trees over the water. We'll see
Hi Shane. Nope, the lights are not draped and are no longer dangling down. Dh works on the Riverwalk over night and came home back when they started preping and said the same thing as you, he didn't like how the lights were strung up now.

I am also wondering if the new LED's are going to twinkle like the old lights. That was my favorite part, the way the lights twinkled on and off.

Hoping that the new display is just as pretty as the old display, it will certainly be brighter with the LED's, that's for sure.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:15 AM

502 posts, read 816,355 times
Looks like Vegas now... Cheap! No twinkle! No like! Lol

Old 11-26-2011, 06:30 AM

21 posts, read 29,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptech210 View Post
Looks like Vegas now... Cheap! No twinkle! No like! Lol
Cheap? No way!

It's definitely different. I think the biggest difference besides then not being draped and hanging from the top of the trees is the extreme bluish color of the lights.

I know with these LED lights you can change the color of the lights and I wouldn't see why they won't do that. Maybe they'll do a different color every night.

As for the twinkling... I think that would scream Vegas. lol

Old 11-26-2011, 10:04 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,342,140 times
Well, of course some of San Antonio won't like these new LEDs: After all, it's change and 'change is bad.' God forbid we don't keep moving sideways in this city.

I think the LEDs are indicative of many things for SA, but mostly that we're Eco-conscious and also want to be on the cutting edge of things. I think that Bill FitzGibbons and the crew at Blue Star Arts did a wonderful job with the lighting on the Riverwalk this season. Yes, it's different, but change is a good thing.

BN

Old 11-26-2011, 12:33 PM

502 posts, read 816,355 times
^^ in this case change is not so good when it cost so much. City has a huge Budget shortfall and are closing down rec centers and cutting jobs but yet there's extra money for new lights? That's what's really backwards about this city.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:44 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,954,997 times
I love the way the lights used to hang over the river - the reflection was just beautiful. I think it was unique too to use the "old fashioned" lights instead of the LED lights.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:31 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,326,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Well, of course some of San Antonio won't like these new LEDs: After all, it's change and 'change is bad.' God forbid we don't keep moving sideways in this city
BN
well, apparently we are moving forward since the city elders voted on the LEDS for the riverwalk.

But I will be the judge on the new lights when I visit in the upcoming weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or