U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2011, 09:28 AM

5 posts, read 4,135 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: see comment

Originally from So. La. but have been a ho for dough for years moving the family around. Enjoyed living in the DFW area a while back and now have an opportunity in SA.

So kind of the usual questions, with some qualifiers...can spend upwards of 300k for housing, have boat load of kids (yes all with the same wife), live to hunt, speak some Spanish (much more when immersed) and looking for a cool part of town or rural area near SA.

The obvious: need high quality schools, nice houses, safe neighborhood, decent shopping. Don't need to be especially close to restaurants as I'm from the Crescent City and can knock out Creole and Cajun dishes that'll make you want to slap ya moma!

I'll be traveling around Austin, SA, CC, and Laredo for work. So driving is a given and living outside of SA is definitely an option (Boerne?).

Will be looking to hook up on a good family oriented hunting lease somewhat close to SA (will drive up to 2-3hrs).

I make good money but I'm not a high dollar snob and would much rather be surrounded by good, hard working neighbors who have more in character rather than those who over compensate with money for their lacking.

So where would the locals focus your search in regards to the above criteria?

Bonus: if we become neighbors...y'all can come over for some Gumbo!

Thanks in advance,

Oh and Geaux Tigers n Geaux Saints!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-25-2011 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: Per TOS, This is an English only forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 03:48 AM

21 posts, read 29,188 times
With $300,000 for a home, you could buy a lot of house in SA. And in any location you wanted. Here is a listing of all homes priced for sale from $300,000-350,000 in the San Antonio area. Here is the listing of all homes priced for sale from $300,000-350,000 in the suburb of Schertz and this one for Cibolo. Other areas I'd recommend are Helotes, Fair Oaks Ranch and Boerne.

With respect to San Antonio, the top school districts are the North ISD and the Northeast ISD. Alamo Heights ISD is another of the top school districts.

Schertz, Cilbolo, Boerne, Fair Oaks Ranch all have excellent school districts.

From reading your post, I think either Schertz or Cibolo would be your ideal choice just because of their close location to I-35.

Also, just food for thought, there is a insanely good Cajun restaurant called the Big Easy Cafe near Windcrest which is on the northeast side. Schertz and Cibolo are on the far Northeast side. Big Easy Cafe is a stones throw from I-35 as well.

There's also another really good place called Bernard's Creole Cajun but it's on the southwest side of San Antonio.

Hope that helped.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:09 AM

Thanks olivegreen. Will check out Schertz and Cibolo. We've been researching Boerne a bit already. Good to know there are a couple Cajun places to get some gator-tail without all the work and talk some Saints and LSU football! Thanks again and hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:11 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,891,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivegreen View Post
With $300,000 for a home, you could buy a lot of house in SA. And in any location you wanted. Here is a listing of all homes priced for sale from $300,000-350,000 in the San Antonio area. Here is the listing of all homes priced for sale from $300,000-350,000 in the suburb of Schertz and this one for Cibolo. Other areas I'd recommend are Helotes, Fair Oaks Ranch and Boerne.

With respect to San Antonio, the top school districts are the North ISD and the Northeast ISD. Alamo Heights ISD is another of the top school districts.

Schertz, Cilbolo, Boerne, Fair Oaks Ranch all have excellent school districts.

From reading your post, I think either Schertz or Cibolo would be your ideal choice just because of their close location to I-35.

Also, just food for thought, there is a insanely good Cajun restaurant called the Big Easy Cafe near Windcrest which is on the northeast side. Schertz and Cibolo are on the far Northeast side. Big Easy Cafe is a stones throw from I-35 as well.

There's also another really good place called Bernard's Creole Cajun but it's on the southwest side of San Antonio.

Hope that helped.

Schertz or Cibolo.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:20 PM

Thanks LovingSAT.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:49 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,505,235 times
You can get a 5 bed 4 bath house in Windcrest for 280K. Good NEISD schools, and close to 35. Search zipcode 78239

Old 11-26-2011, 05:23 PM

7,644 posts, read 8,090,637 times
Gumbo? I heard that!!!! Even if we dont become neighbors, I am there!

Old 11-27-2011, 08:16 AM

6,878 posts, read 18,174,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFRENCHIE View Post
Moderator cut: see comment

Originally from So. La. but have been a ho for dough for years moving the family around. Enjoyed living in the DFW area a while back and now have an opportunity in SA.

So kind of the usual questions, with some qualifiers...can spend upwards of 300k for housing, have boat load of kids (yes all with the same wife), live to hunt, speak some Spanish (much more when immersed) and looking for a cool part of town or rural area near SA.

The obvious: need high quality schools, nice houses, safe neighborhood, decent shopping. Don't need to be especially close to restaurants as I'm from the Crescent City and can knock out Creole and Cajun dishes that'll make you want to slap ya moma!

I'll be traveling around Austin, SA, CC, and Laredo for work. So driving is a given and living outside of SA is definitely an option (Boerne?).

Will be looking to hook up on a good family oriented hunting lease somewhat close to SA (will drive up to 2-3hrs).

I make good money but I'm not a high dollar snob and would much rather be surrounded by good, hard working neighbors who have more in character rather than those who over compensate with money for their lacking.

So where would the locals focus your search in regards to the above criteria?

Bonus: if we become neighbors...y'all can come over for some Gumbo!

Thanks in advance,

Oh and Geaux Tigers n Geaux Saints!

Hi Frenchie! I'm from Houston (we moved here two years ago) and have family in Lafayette, Leesville, DeRidder, and Slidell. Lots of trips to Baton Rouge for LSU games and for work (well, back when I was single) as well. Nice to see you. There are not many Cajun/Creole around here, you probably ought to know! Consider yourself an ex-pat. When you find others it's like...WOOHOO!

Boerne is going to be your best bet, IMHO--I'd run there as fast as I can if I could...followed by Bandera, then over to the NE and New Braunfels, Blanco, heck San Marcos is great too.

There's not a whole lot as far as food goes around here other than Pappadeaux, Copeland's, and Acadiana Cafe (and the others above). However, there's a Raisin' Canes in the airport, believe it or not. I just about fell over at that knowledge!! ha! I am sure the best cookin' you do is right at home. That's how I feel at this point...gumbo, etouffee, can't seem to get that edge in SA but Pappadeaux is pretty good.

Anyway, welcome, you are in good company!

Old 11-27-2011, 09:17 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,103,487 times
You should feel at home here, there are a lot of people from Louisiana who evacuated here during Katrina and that never went back....

Old 11-28-2011, 08:56 AM

392 posts, read 624,494 times
My wife and I are recent Louisiana expats and are up in the Stone Oak area with some Louisiana neighbors around us. We've got other friends from Louisiana and Mississippi and get together to cook up some Cajun food from time-to-time. I cooked up a pretty good turkey and andouille gumbo this weekend from what was left of the turkey at Thanksgiving, since we had some gumbo weather the past couple nights. I hope y'all find it to be as nice out here as we have. I still miss Louisiana, but I'm liking it more and more in San Antonio, especially out in the hills. H-E-B on 281 actually had some pretty awesome boiled crawfish out in the parking lot this summer, surprisingly. When we don't cook our own stuff at home, we go to Acadiana Cafe on Loop 410 between Hwy 151 and Marbach, or Pappadeaux, which is on Loop 410 west of Hwy 281. I need to try out the Big Easy Cafe.

Bienvenue a San Antonio, mon amie. I'll definitely talk Saints with ya (father was at the FIRST Saints game ever, and parents are season ticket holders), but I'm a LaTech dude rather than LSU, but y'all do have a good team this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio