U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 01:40 PM

441 posts, read 791,375 times

Advertisements

I'm all for it. Go Wolff!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 01:50 PM

993 posts, read 2,188,011 times
How many out there is Wolff Stadium convenient and easy for you to get to?

Old 11-30-2011, 01:58 PM

1,893 posts, read 4,862,385 times
It's right off of Hwy 90 close to 410. Location wise it's no harder to get to than the AT&T center and the Wolff Stadium is all freeway travel with easy parking. Sea World is right around in the same area. I don't hear any one complaining that they can't get over there. Probably not any worse that most peoples daily commute. If they put it downtown it won't matter where you live unless you are close enough to walk. If you have to drive there and park a car it's going to be a PITA and super expensive.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:15 PM

427 posts, read 1,036,691 times
I don't have a problem getting to the stadium now. I can't see where moving it downtown is going to make a drastic difference in attendance.

I do have a problem going to a minor league baseball game when it's 108 degrees outside

Old 11-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,121,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Kevin is his oldest son and sits on the City Council.
Kevin was on city council, but is now a member of the 4-person commissioner's court led by his father. Nelson is a Democrat, while Kevin is a Republican... which means they don't always agree on issues that come before the court, especially issues that involve taxing or spending.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:02 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,330,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
The Wolff family grew up on the southside with Nelson and his brothers graduating from Highlands High School. Their dad operated a building materials company known as Alamo Enterprises in San Antonio and later was sold for a decent profit. Nelson was voted in Mayor of San Antonio and finally brought decency to the downtown area. The corruption of the previous administrations had been hammered by him. Afterwards he was elected to be Judge in Bexar County and also served as State Representative. He's been a major supporter of baseball in SA and dearly loves the game. His goal is a National League team here. He's a great guy that has not forgotten where he comes from. While I can disagree with building a new stadium with tax dollars, I can still respect what he has done for this part of Texas and we should feel blessed to have had him. Kevin is his oldest son and sits on the City Council.
+100. Wolff and his family have supported this city to no end (and will likely continue to do so). Don't drag his name through the mud folks, as most of you don't even know their history. That's ignorance.

I'd love to see MLB here. It's not likely, as the population here isn't what I would call ideal for it, but it's a nice dream. For those who complain about Wolff's plan or any other progress, please present better ideas here. It's one thing to nay-say something, but quite another to have the foresight to add some insight along with it. I'd be curious to hear how folks would 'fix' this city with the monies we have available to us.

BN

Old 11-30-2011, 04:01 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,289,640 times
And yet people still vote for this obvious POS.
I haven't...

Old 12-01-2011, 07:50 AM

1,893 posts, read 4,862,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
+100. Wolff and his family have supported this city to no end (and will likely continue to do so). Don't drag his name through the mud folks, as most of you don't even know their history. That's ignorance.

I'd love to see MLB here. It's not likely, as the population here isn't what I would call ideal for it, but it's a nice dream. For those who complain about Wolff's plan or any other progress, please present better ideas here. It's one thing to nay-say something, but quite another to have the foresight to add some insight along with it. I'd be curious to hear how folks would 'fix' this city with the monies we have available to us.

BN
I've yet to see any evidence that this move to build yet another baseball stadium or a street car system will do anything but add to our ever increasing debt. These are not the kind of things you do when times are tough. Building a new baseball stadium is not going to do anything to fix this cities problems. Building a streetcar system will not impact the traffic situation in this city anywhere near enough to make it a worthwhile endeavor. Especially not now. These are pet projects that would be laughable by even their proponents if it were not for the seemingly endless supply of taxpayer money that they intend to use to build it. They have said that some private money will be used also. Why would people want to spend their private money to build such things? Because they can pool their money with tax payer money and make more money for themselves. I think more often than not this is the catalyst for these projects. It's not need it's greed. The investors get to play. The taxpayers get to pay.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:26 AM

475 posts, read 968,960 times
Much like how the SBC Center remodel was done, I bet they will frame this to taxpayers as something paid by visitor hotel occupancy taxes.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:27 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,330,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I've yet to see any evidence that this move to build yet another baseball stadium or a street car system will do anything but add to our ever increasing debt. These are not the kind of things you do when times are tough. Building a new baseball stadium is not going to do anything to fix this cities problems. Building a streetcar system will not impact the traffic situation in this city anywhere near enough to make it a worthwhile endeavor. Especially not now. These are pet projects that would be laughable by even their proponents if it were not for the seemingly endless supply of taxpayer money that they intend to use to build it. They have said that some private money will be used also. Why would people want to spend their private money to build such things? Because they can pool their money with tax payer money and make more money for themselves. I think more often than not this is the catalyst for these projects. It's not need it's greed. The investors get to play. The taxpayers get to pay.
You do a lot of complaining, but you don't advise us on how to actually FIX things. I'm all for a discussion here, but you've got to dig a little deeper to keep it productively going.

We had the chance at a proper light rail years ago and voted it down: Mistake #1. Blame the 'tax payers' on that bad decision.

San Antonio makes most of their money through tourism. That's bottom line, which means they will build to suit those who spend the most (tourists). A ballpark downtown would do well, as evidenced by other minor league ballparks that have helped revitalize other downtown areas around the USA (The Memphis Redbirds come to mind. Beautiful park). Contrary to your reply, you build when materials and labor are low: Which they are now, thanks to the economy being what it is. It's akin to the classic business adage of buying low and selling high. Now is not the time for San Antonio to put all of their money under a mattress. We need to build, invest and diversify.

BN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio