Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 08:29 AM

944 posts, read 2,040,863 times

Advertisements

I know we've covered this ground before in various threads, but I have to re-express my frustration. I showed up to work today and someone obviously dumped a kitten in the parking lot and it was hanging out under a car crying. When a co-worker and I walked by it ran out from under the car and started following us, continuously crying.

Thanks for that, irresponsible pet owners. Why are there so many of you in SA? Why do I see several abandoned animals every year? I know there's a million out of there I never run into. If you haven't spayed or neutered your animals or you're willing to dump them when it becomes inconvenient to have them, I'm talking to you: you're the problem this city has with taking care of it's animals properly.

If I wasn't already full on cats, one from the Humane Society and one off the streets, I would've taken that little guy in in a heartbeat. Sometimes I hate this city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 08:39 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,700 times
what happened to the kitty? Someone / something took ours right out of the yard and "Santa" is going to bring the kiddos a new one for Christmas.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
what happened to the kitty? Someone / something took ours right out of the yard and "Santa" is going to bring the kiddos a new one for Christmas.
I don't know. I hope one of the many people that works here has room and decides to take it in. The last time I got involved with sheltering a cat just "temporarily" I ended up keeping it because ACS will not take cats that aren't injured (tried that), the Humane Society is often full and the same story usually applies to most other shelters in the city that have housing because there's just so many unwanted animals here.

Being that that's the case, I know as soon as I take it off the street there's a 90% chance I just signed on to keep it for life. So now, unless I'm committed to keeping it as soon as I pick it off the pavement, I make myself walk away. Unfortunately, most people that have lived in San Antonio any length of time have learned that they have to do the same unless they want 1-3 acquisitions every single year...because that's the minimum number of abandoned animals I see annually here.

That was long, sorry. I'm just a little fumey.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:17 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
My old neighborhood was a popular dumping ground. We've had 2 stray Chihuahuas roaming for months....I guess someone is feeding them but dogs need more than just food. It just breaks my heart. Spaying or neutering is often offered for free, otherwise it really doesn't cost much but I really don't think it is always about money. It's a mentality that needs changing. Instead of Drew Carey we need a Katrashian telling people that it's OK to alter your pet.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:51 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
I would answer the OP's question, but I'm sure most already know what that answer would be...

Old 12-01-2011, 11:29 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
...ACS will not take cats that aren't injured (tried that), the.....
Uhhh.....I guess the situation is to give the cat a small scratch? What counts as "injured" here? Broken leg? Vaginal fistula? Feline cancer?

I know that sounds cruel, but if the animal can get better care than it otherwise would.....I don't know.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:50 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
I guess I have pretty good luck when I find an abandoned animal. It's all been dogs since I moved to this neighborhood...clean them up, give them a haircut if they need it, and find them a new home. Usually if a stray is friendly enough to approach me, they're friendly enough to be a good pet to somebody. And putting a sweater on a dog is a great way to make an ugly dog cute enough for somebody to take home.

I haven't found any cats. That may be because half my neighbors have big dogs.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:51 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Uhhh.....I guess the situation is to give the cat a small scratch? What counts as "injured" here? Broken leg? Vaginal fistula? Feline cancer?

I know that sounds cruel, but if the animal can get better care than it otherwise would.....I don't know.
ACS will just put down the injured animal, usually.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:53 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
ACS will just put down the injured animal, usually.
Oh. Well, that's even worse, then. Never mind.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I guess I have pretty good luck when I find an abandoned animal. It's all been dogs since I moved to this neighborhood...clean them up, give them a haircut if they need it, and find them a new home. Usually if a stray is friendly enough to approach me, they're friendly enough to be a good pet to somebody. And putting a sweater on a dog is a great way to make an ugly dog cute enough for somebody to take home.

I haven't found any cats. That may be because half my neighbors have big dogs.
I always seem to run into cats. The cat I ended up keeping is a black cat, and I fostered it for a while trying to get it adopted. But no one here wants black cats (they don't get adopted at the Humane Society for WAY longer than other color cats). Why? Because people entertain ignorant superstitious nonsense about black cats being bad luck, or being witches, or what have you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio