U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 12:15 PM

931 posts, read 1,747,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Uhhh.....I guess the situation is to give the cat a small scratch? What counts as "injured" here? Broken leg? Vaginal fistula? Feline cancer?

I know that sounds cruel, but if the animal can get better care than it otherwise would.....I don't know.
A broken leg would probably qualify. At the time they did a visual inspection of and felt around the then-kitten (now my cat), and because they didn't see/feel any serious-ish injury, the cat did not qualify to be taken in even for a humane death. They would not take him off my hands even though he was obviously malnourished and missing fur from the bazillion fleas I cleansed him of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 12:18 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,329,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
... Because people entertain ignorant superstitious nonsense about black cats being bad luck, or being witches, or what have you.
Are you sh*tting me? People are idiotic sometime.

People who dump their animals should be hit by a Via bus. That's my opinion on the issue and I'm sticking to it. This comes from a guy who's got a 17 year old black cat (humane society), one shelter dog and a dog I picked up who made it to the center median of I-10.

San Antonio has no class when it comes to how they treat their pets.

BN

Old 12-01-2011, 01:02 PM

7,643 posts, read 8,088,789 times
Funny thing is that stray cats dont really bother me. Three of them have been roaming the neighborhood lately and I am seeing less mice (damn construction always brings out the critters). Stray dogs on the other hand...

...couple weeks ago there was a pit cruising the street. Actually seemed like a nice dog but who knows what kind of idiot owner they have and what they taught them.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Are you sh*tting me? People are idiotic sometime.
Not at all. I volunteer at the Humane Society from time to time...normally at least a few weeks in between visits so most if not all the animals up for adoption have "turned over" in that time, so I don't usually recognize animals from a prior visit.

Last time, there were three black kittens there that I remembered from the last time I was there, so I asked the staff member in the cat area why it takes so much longer for black cats to get adopted. People's superstitious feelings about black cats was her answer.

So anyone: if you're interested in a cat, go to the Humane Society or any of the other rescues in town and adopt a black one. I guarantee you the poor thing has been stuck there a whole lot longer than the cute calico a couple spaces down.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Funny thing is that stray cats dont really bother me. Three of them have been roaming the neighborhood lately and I am seeing less mice (damn construction always brings out the critters). Stray dogs on the other hand...

...couple weeks ago there was a pit cruising the street. Actually seemed like a nice dog but who knows what kind of idiot owner they have and what they taught them.
Most cats do not do well on their own outside at all, especially with the drought we've been having. Obviously kittens won't make it, they can't even begin to hunt (even most adult cats don't hunt that well on their own either).

They get dehydrated, malnourished, and infested with parasites. Fleas, tics, and worms. Plus any number of diseases. Those outdoor cats that are doing "fine" outside on their own will live a much shorter life (like 1/2 to 2/3 as long) as an indoor cat. And those are the prodigious hunters that are smart about avoiding cars and other dangers.

The average cat might make it a few weeks before they're hit by a car or dehydrate/starve enough that they just crawl off somewhere to wait for the inevitable. It's a huge myth that most domesticated cats can support themselves outdoors indefinitely.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:43 PM

522 posts, read 989,815 times
Quote:
I always seem to run into cats. The cat I ended up keeping is a black cat, and I fostered it for a while trying to get it adopted. But no one here wants black cats (they don't get adopted at the Humane Society for WAY longer than other color cats). Why? Because people entertain ignorant superstitious nonsense about black cats being bad luck, or being witches, or what have you.

i wonder how accurate that is (the not adopting black cats because of superstition). dogs are in the same boat, with big black dogs being the most prevalent and least likely to be adopted, though it is not because of superstitious hokum. they're usually overlooked (being so plentiful in shelters) or out-shined, visually, by more unique breeds/colors. i can't recall a time i had a potential adopter comment on not wanting a cat because it was black, and there for unlucky, but i have seen folks decide against them because a different cat was slightly more unique/visually appealing. i suspect black cats are passed up for the same reasons, and not necessarily because of "witches".

then again, this city never ceases to amaze me when it comes to pet welfare.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlorifiedMalcontent View Post
i wonder how accurate that is (the not adopting black cats because of superstition). dogs are in the same boat, with big black dogs being the most prevalent and least likely to be adopted, though it is not because of superstitious hokum. they're usually overlooked (being so plentiful in shelters) or out-shined, visually, by more unique breeds/colors. i can't recall a time i had a potential adopter comment on not wanting a cat because it was black, and there for unlucky, but i have seen folks decide against them because a different cat was slightly more unique/visually appealing. i suspect black cats are passed up for the same reasons, and not necessarily because of "witches".

then again, this city never ceases to amaze me when it comes to pet welfare.
Yeah I'm sure there's other reasons. Some people just don't prefer a plain-jane black cat. I only state that as being the main reason because a Humane Society staff member stated that as the main reason, and I have no reason to think that hasn't been what she's heard most often since she works in the thick of adoption issues.

Then again, I'm sure if people pick out some other color cat they don't ask why they didn't pick out a black cat...so maybe they're just assuming it's because of superstitions.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:52 PM

7,643 posts, read 8,088,789 times
Quote:
Most cats do not do well on their own outside at all, especially with the drought we've been having. Obviously kittens won't make it, they can't even begin to hunt (even most adult cats don't hunt that well on their own either).

They get dehydrated, malnourished, and infested with parasites. Fleas, tics, and worms. Plus any number of diseases. Those outdoor cats that are doing "fine" outside on their own will live a much shorter life (like 1/2 to 2/3 as long) as an indoor cat. And those are the prodigious hunters that are smart about avoiding cars and other dangers.

The average cat might make it a few weeks before they're hit by a car or dehydrate/starve enough that they just crawl off somewhere to wait for the inevitable. It's a huge myth that most domesticated cats can support themselves outdoors indefinitely.
Oh you're right and I am sure many of us would love to save them all but it isnt possible. (they wouldnt get along with my dogs me thinks) I was just saying that they dont bug me as much as stray dogs do.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Oh you're right and I am sure many of us would love to save them all but it isnt possible. (they wouldnt get along with my dogs me thinks) I was just saying that they dont bug me as much as stray dogs do.
Definitely, nobody should take in more animals than they can and want to care for. I just don't want anyone to think that a cat is fine on it's own, that it's no problem if they just dump it because it can take care of itself. A lot of people honestly believe that.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:46 PM

I heard near the end of the day that someone had seen one of our security guards with a box trying to catch the kitten. Hopefully it's been secured and will be found a home with someone - fingers crossed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or