U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-10-2011, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany
13,807 posts, read 26,299,084 times
Reputation: 3987

Advertisements

I love the people that suggest we just shut up and take it and let the police take care of things... hello? Had a clue lately? The police can't be everywhere taking care of everything and that's why these laws are the way they are. And you can still be scared for your life even though you're chasing the person. Put yourself in their shoes and tell me you're going to be in full control of your senses. Anyone that claims that is full of horse crap.. you're going to be scared out of your mind and your brain is going to protect the body. That's how we're programmed to roll, except the weenies that just accept it of course..

 
Old 12-10-2011, 09:03 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
905 posts, read 1,355,689 times
Reputation: 592
Get hostile and protect yourself![/quote]

Nicely said!!!!
I've never been in the situation although I feel I am prepaired if and or when I am ever faced with this...
 
Old 12-10-2011, 10:03 AM
 
12,511 posts, read 16,599,400 times
Reputation: 24133
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I love the people that suggest we just shut up and take it and let the police take care of things... hello? Had a clue lately? The police can't be everywhere taking care of everything and that's why these laws are the way they are. And you can still be scared for your life even though you're chasing the person. Put yourself in their shoes and tell me you're going to be in full control of your senses. Anyone that claims that is full of horse crap.. you're going to be scared out of your mind and your brain is going to protect the body. That's how we're programmed to roll, except the weenies that just accept it of course..
My Texas county has over 1,000 square miles and almost 4,000 linear miles of unpaved and paved roads. We have one person from the Sheriff's office who patrols the County at night. It would be insane to believe I can count on law enforcement to do anything after a crime here at my farm but take a photo of the tennis shoe footprint on my front door an hour or two after the door has been kicked down. Logic and necessity requires that I protect myself and my family.

Much of Texas' common sense logic on self-protection comes from the fact that the State is still a rural state. Thank goodness that I will be dust in the wind long before the sick logic of Texas urban centers forces us to roll over like an armadillo spinning on its back in the middle of a freeway.

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 12-10-2011 at 11:00 AM..
 
Old 12-10-2011, 12:01 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
409 posts, read 844,210 times
Reputation: 305
Default Exactly right

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I love the people that suggest we just shut up and take it and let the police take care of things... hello? Had a clue lately? The police can't be everywhere taking care of everything and that's why these laws are the way they are. And you can still be scared for your life even though you're chasing the person. Put yourself in their shoes and tell me you're going to be in full control of your senses. Anyone that claims that is full of horse crap.. you're going to be scared out of your mind and your brain is going to protect the body. That's how we're programmed to roll, except the weenies that just accept it of course..
Bingo... My thoughts exactly. There's such a thing as fight or flight adrenaiine rush. She chose to fight in a split second.
 
Old 12-10-2011, 12:28 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
8,400 posts, read 20,113,202 times
Reputation: 4435
It's amusing how those who are critical of her response have never been in the position she was in. I am sure if they were in fear of their lives they would be less judgmental.

This is Texas, folks, if someone is stupid enough to commit a crime against a law abiding citizen here they had better be just as prepared to accept the consequences if the "victim" defends themselves. Those of us who actually research and study the Penal Code know how well a person defending themselves can go to do so.

The rest are what we used to call "barracks lawyers" in the military, they like to give them impression they are knowledgeable of the law but in truth it's nothing but conjecture and opinion on their part.

The kid is lucky he didn't pick a home of a gun owner, as if he had done so there would be a good chance that he wouldn't be celebrating his next birthday!

Live in ignorance and pay the consequences. It's as simple as that.
 
Old 12-10-2011, 02:57 PM
 
Location: NW San Antonio
1,074 posts, read 1,583,255 times
Reputation: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
It's amusing how those who are critical of her response have never been in the position she was in. I am sure if they were in fear of their lives they would be less judgmental.

This is Texas, folks, if someone is stupid enough to commit a crime against a law abiding citizen here they had better be just as prepared to accept the consequences if the "victim" defends themselves. Those of us who actually research and study the Penal Code know how well a person defending themselves can go to do so.

The rest are what we used to call "barracks lawyers" in the military, they like to give them impression they are knowledgeable of the law but in truth it's nothing but conjecture and opinion on their part.

The kid is lucky he didn't pick a home of a gun owner, as if he had done so there would be a good chance that he wouldn't be celebrating his next birthday!

Live in ignorance and pay the consequences. It's as simple as that.
I AGREE with every word of this post! AMEN!
 
Old 12-10-2011, 04:17 PM
 
Location: dominion, san antonio
40 posts, read 41,950 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
I hope the homeowner doesn't get cited for assault. I'm sure there is some bleeding heart lawyer out there itching to defend that little punk and contend that it wasn't his fault. The little thug is fortunate to end up with just a split head. At least the homeowner wasn't packing heat.
from a legal perspective, its actually better to gun down a home break-in robber vs beating them down with a pipe.

if they cant find work later in life due to a disability the home owner caused, guess who can be sued?

lesson is, just put em out of their misery. if you leave them alive and injur them, it WILL come back to bite you in the bum.
 
Old 12-10-2011, 04:22 PM
 
Location: dominion, san antonio
40 posts, read 41,950 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
If the person is not really in fear of their life and is chasing a crook down the street to injure them further, then regardless of how the cops write it up, or a jury decides, that person is just a criminal themselves and also a coward hiding behind a weapon. Especially if it is a grown man beating on a teen.

I support self-defensive measures and even stopping someone to recover property or damages but vigilantism is different. Anyone who is eager to use violence on others regardless of the reason is a bit off if you ask me.
i agree with the bolded part. it actually becomes assault once the home owner crosses his/her property lines. it also becomes felonious assault since a weapon is involved.

by all means, protect your stuff! its your stuff not theirs!

chasing down a TEENAGER with a pipe wrench OFF your property is one thing. proceeding PAST your property line with the intent to cause bodily harm with a weapon is a felony.
 
Old 12-10-2011, 04:26 PM
 
Location: dominion, san antonio
40 posts, read 41,950 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Put yourself in their shoes and tell me you're going to be in full control of your senses. .
been there, done that. was in full control of what i was doing. chased the scumbag (who was later caught due to my video surveillance system and multiple witness accounts) off my property.

i do realize my anecdotal experience is not scientific data.

no one is advocating 'taking it' and letting people steal your stuff. the fact is, once you cross your property line, it can be considered assault. felonious assault if a weapon is involved (this includes a cars, trucks and SUVs).

(insert 'if it were me, he wouldn't have made it past the property line' joke here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
My Texas county has over 1,000 square miles and almost 4,000 linear miles of unpaved and paved roads. We have one person from the Sheriff's office who patrols the County at night. It would be insane to believe I can count on law enforcement
if you lived in the city or a more urban area (like where this crime took place), your anecdotal experience might be relevant. since you dont, its not.
 
Old 12-10-2011, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany
13,807 posts, read 26,299,084 times
Reputation: 3987
Definitely better to blast them away from the comfort of your living room. Dead guy laying on your couch isn't going to say much at all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top