U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 4,577 times

Advertisements

So im looking to move downtown. I've browsed the internet and am having a hard time finding lofts, apartments. Could anyone please tell me your experience of living downtown and where you live. Im looking to spend around $700 to rent a 1 bedroom/studio.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 11:40 AM

777 posts, read 1,434,424 times
Centro Properties

$700 won't get you very many options...

Old 12-14-2011, 12:41 PM

186 posts, read 616,936 times
1221 Broadway lofts. Look them up... the smaller, cheaper ones may already be all taken but it's worth a shot. My boyfriend lives there and actually I know of a one bedroom that a girl just moved out of... not sure if their rent has gone up since he's moved in though, since it's become such a hot spot.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:52 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,175,288 times
Thats tough to do at that price

Old 12-14-2011, 02:14 PM

5,619 posts, read 12,872,096 times
If you know where Good Time Charlies is at off of Broadway, turn on that street (East Mulberry) to the east away from the park. There are a lot of older apartments back in there and some are really nice. Prices are not high due to the age of the properties. I have a friend that lives over there and has a 1000 sq ft apartment, 2 bedroom 1 1/2 baths and is paying 675. It was freshly remodeled with tile floors, new kitchen, etc and is a 2 story apartment like a condo.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:32 PM

581 posts, read 1,034,125 times
craigslist and driving around. That's a great way to find them. A friend is living in a modified 2 bdrm, 1 bath, with a game room apt off of Presa for about 690, I believe. Doesn't look like much from the outside but the minute you go inside, holy crap! Kinda stuff people on them home remodeling shows talk about. Archways, original hardwood floor, very clean and cozy. He loves it. Took a while to get used to parking in which he didn't trust that his car didn't get pinched or broken into but in his 2 yrs of being there, not a stratch.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:54 PM

37 posts, read 56,268 times
San Antonio does not really have sustainable living downtown. No markets, the 35 is a joke, and nightlife is ALL geared towards the tourists.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:00 PM

9 posts, read 19,783 times
There are a number of higher end developments emerging along Broadway by the Pearl. Residential in downtown SA is still something of a new concept that with the economy, makes it easier for developers to build outside of the urban core since costs are significantly higher.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:01 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,326,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanthatsneato View Post
San Antonio does not really have sustainable living downtown. No markets, the 35 is a joke, and nightlife is ALL geared towards the tourists.
That's funny. This nearly 7 year resident of Downtown disagrees. There are many places to consider that can easily be sub-$700 a month.

The new 1221 and other Broadway developments aren't what I would consider high-end, as their finish outs are done on the quick and cheap while the square footages are tiny. The only real luxe building is the new Broadway, closer to Alamo Heights. Tincan Lofts and all Pearl Developments are all likely out of your price range, but 1221 might have specials going for the yet-to-be opened parts of their development. I know they're renting them, so you might want to go in-person and see.

Vistana is now renting a LOT cheaper than when they first opened, due to a multitude of issue, most of which was that many of the initial tenants didn't resign contracts when they came due. A studio space there is now running $650-700 on special. Vistana is looking to fill their many new vacancies.

Blue Star Arts Complex: Many lofts under $600/mo. All different shapes and sizes. One of the few actual LOFT properties downtown, as they're converted spaces. Not pre-fab, loft-like. No two units are the same. I'd google 'Lifshutz Properties' for more info and bypass any realtor who's trying to rent them out. You'll save more in the long run at Blue Star forgetting the midddleman.

Cadillac Lofts: Another true loft property. Not luxe by any means, but it's got a great downtown location, huge windows and cheap(ish) rents. It's also owned by the same folks who own Blue Star. Google it, as advised above.

Cevallos Lofts: New development that's less loft and more urban apartment with loft-like touches. Hasn't opened yet, but is expecting move-ins in the next month I've heard. I'm certain they're wheeling and dealing on specials. If 'new' is your thing, this might be the place.

HemisView Apartments:
Newish, great location in front of Hemisphere Park and from seeing friend's units, it's not too shabby in design. On special, I know someone who's paying $710 for a one bedroom.

There are other options out there, but when it comes to Downtown and Southtown, I know people here (including me) have recommended Centro Properties, but my thinking has changed on it. Scope things out yourself and skip the middleman. In this economy, you'll save more by going in and personally talking with the property manager or owner. While Debbie Maltz does a great job, she also takes a cut and that cut has to come from somewhere. As others have already said, take a weekend and drive around Downtown/Government Hill/Southtown/Pearl/SoFlo (South of Flores) and other areas to see what 'For Rent' signs are out. A funky and fun house might be your best option if you can negotiate with the owner.

Contrary to uneducated posters, Downtown/Southtown has more than sustainable living. Just ask those who live down here. We love it.

BN

Old 12-14-2011, 08:33 PM

467 posts, read 909,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
That's funny. This nearly 7 year resident of Downtown disagrees. There are many places to consider that can easily be sub-$700 a month.

The new 1221 and other Broadway developments aren't what I would consider high-end, as their finish outs are done on the quick and cheap while the square footages are tiny. The only real luxe building is the new Broadway, closer to Alamo Heights. Tincan Lofts and all Pearl Developments are all likely out of your price range, but 1221 might have specials going for the yet-to-be opened parts of their development. I know they're renting them, so you might want to go in-person and see.

Vistana is now renting a LOT cheaper than when they first opened, due to a multitude of issue, most of which was that many of the initial tenants didn't resign contracts when they came due. A studio space there is now running $650-700 on special. Vistana is looking to fill their many new vacancies.

Blue Star Arts Complex: Many lofts under $600/mo. All different shapes and sizes. One of the few actual LOFT properties downtown, as they're converted spaces. Not pre-fab, loft-like. No two units are the same. I'd google 'Lifshutz Properties' for more info and bypass any realtor who's trying to rent them out. You'll save more in the long run at Blue Star forgetting the midddleman.

Cadillac Lofts: Another true loft property. Not luxe by any means, but it's got a great downtown location, huge windows and cheap(ish) rents. It's also owned by the same folks who own Blue Star. Google it, as advised above.

Cevallos Lofts: New development that's less loft and more urban apartment with loft-like touches. Hasn't opened yet, but is expecting move-ins in the next month I've heard. I'm certain they're wheeling and dealing on specials. If 'new' is your thing, this might be the place.

HemisView Apartments:
Newish, great location in front of Hemisphere Park and from seeing friend's units, it's not too shabby in design. On special, I know someone who's paying $710 for a one bedroom.

There are other options out there, but when it comes to Downtown and Southtown, I know people here (including me) have recommended Centro Properties, but my thinking has changed on it. Scope things out yourself and skip the middleman. In this economy, you'll save more by going in and personally talking with the property manager or owner. While Debbie Maltz does a great job, she also takes a cut and that cut has to come from somewhere. As others have already said, take a weekend and drive around Downtown/Government Hill/Southtown/Pearl/SoFlo (South of Flores) and other areas to see what 'For Rent' signs are out. A funky and fun house might be your best option if you can negotiate with the owner.

Contrary to uneducated posters, Downtown/Southtown has more than sustainable living. Just ask those who live down here. We love it.

BN
I love Southtown also,..looking to leave NE San Anto!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio