U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-17-2011, 07:14 AM
 
Location: NW San Antonio
1,074 posts, read 1,582,792 times
Reputation: 683
I am a Southern Baptist and I am for casinos. There are undesirable folks in this city already and we do not even have a casino! If it did happen there would have to be tight regulation on where the monies are allocated. The TX lottery was supposed to pump billions into public education and we now see how that turned out. It would bring stable jobs into this city and help our economy. I do not see any cons at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-17-2011, 09:05 AM
 
Location: East Terrell Hills
1,158 posts, read 1,375,371 times
Reputation: 1224
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
I am a Southern Baptist and I am for casinos. There are undesirable folks in this city already and we do not even have a casino! If it did happen there would have to be tight regulation on where the monies are allocated. The TX lottery was supposed to pump billions into public education and we now see how that turned out. It would bring stable jobs into this city and help our economy. I do not see any cons at all.
The last time I was in Bossier City,LA, I passed by the Horseshoe Casino. Seven out of ten cars in the casino's parking lot had Texas license plates. If one wants to blow his money gambling, why not leave it here in Texas? Seems like a no brainer to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2011, 10:00 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,814 posts, read 33,128,139 times
Reputation: 13587
Governor Perry doesn't want casinos in Texas. It seems very unlikely they will be introduced as long as he's in office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2011, 10:37 AM
 
Location: United States
464 posts, read 659,409 times
Reputation: 767
A casino would have its pros and cons, but I'd really suggest thoroughly researching the cities up in New England where Indian casinos were initially suggested then implemented. They were promoted initially as job creators and economic saviors in areas that were then dependent upon defense spending and other manufacturing. The people would come in, spend money on local businesses and on the casino and then leave.

Everyone's happy, right? Well check back in some 15 years later and see how optimistic things are there. Local business found the incoming gamblers didn't drop the anticipated dollars as was earlier predicted. Mom & Pop business suffered and eventually shuttered their doors. Jobs lost. Lost that bet, eh?

While casinos do create jobs, they're primarily service-type jobs that allow at least a living wage, but not much more. That sort of framework can be successful for a particular area depending on its current demographics and the education level of the existing workforce.

But is that the right thing for San Antonio? I'd say it has to be studied, compared to other states where such casinos have been implemented and then studied closer still. Sorry for the pun, but you cannot gamble with San Antonio's future like that. This needs extreme consideration before anything further is done.

San Antonio's economic growth was recently hailed as exceeding the national average and is predicted to continue for the next year. There's no doubt SA needs to keep cultivating itself for future job growth and economic expansion.

If a casino is part of the landscape for the future, let those who conceive and implement it think outside of the box and come up with an original, unique and clever implementation that sets the standard of success for other casinos worldwide. Conduct exhaustive research where other casino implementations have failed and why and then build in safeguards to prevent this kind of failure where applicable.

You'll get opposition from various churches......no doubt. But don't they have Bingo?

Last edited by hillcountrywinefan; 12-17-2011 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: For some reason I had capitalized the word casino in some sentences, but not in others. Note to self....less wine on a Friday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2011, 12:36 AM
 
Location: Spurs country. "Go, Spurs, Go!"
3,368 posts, read 3,932,974 times
Reputation: 8660
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
The last time I was in Bossier City,LA, I passed by the Horseshoe Casino. Seven out of ten cars in the casino's parking lot had Texas license plates. If one wants to blow his money gambling, why not leave it here in Texas? Seems like a no brainer to me!
And that is where another Texas vehicle will be for New Year's eve. My daughter and SIL lived in Bossier for 3 years while military, and SIL gets comped at the Horseshoe. On Jan. 1, 2012, at 11:00am, I will be enjoying (along w/my daughter) a massage, a facial, and a mani-pedi. Sorry, but I am so thrilled by this much-needed and appreciated treat, I had to brag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2011, 08:25 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
898 posts, read 1,243,743 times
Reputation: 771
It's funny, several years ago Jack Abramoff steered the course of this conversation and through Tom DeLay had everyone in the Bexar County Republican Party convinced that casino gambling was bad for Texas. Well guess what, Casino Jack had a vested interest in keeping the money from Texas flowing OUT of our state and into his mob-connected client's hands in Florida.
If the mob and the lobbyists wanna keep this charade up, I'll continue to fly to Vegas and Biloxi, and drive to Louisiana, and so will everyone else. Or we could keep the money right here in our state, the greatest state in the Union and the one that other surrounding states would like to continue to leach off of.

Last edited by chud; 12-18-2011 at 09:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2011, 11:58 PM
 
Location: Cali
3,904 posts, read 6,181,750 times
Reputation: 2224
Quote:
Originally Posted by chud View Post
It's funny, several years ago Jack Abramoff steered the course of this conversation and through Tom DeLay had everyone in the Bexar County Republican Party convinced that casino gambling was bad for Texas. Well guess what, Casino Jack had a vested interest in keeping the money from Texas flowing OUT of our state and into his mob-connected client's hands in Florida.
If the mob and the lobbyists wanna keep this charade up, I'll continue to fly to Vegas and Biloxi, and drive to Louisiana, and so will everyone else. Or we could keep the money right here in our state, the greatest state in the Union and the one that other surrounding states would like to continue to leach off of.
You all should be able to have some casinos in your great state of TX. Lots of good areas too where casino/hotels would go nice.:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 09:20 AM
 
Location: East Terrell Hills
1,158 posts, read 1,375,371 times
Reputation: 1224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
And that is where another Texas vehicle will be for New Year's eve. My daughter and SIL lived in Bossier for 3 years while military, and SIL gets comped at the Horseshoe. On Jan. 1, 2012, at 11:00am, I will be enjoying (along w/my daughter) a massage, a facial, and a mani-pedi. Sorry, but I am so thrilled by this much-needed and appreciated treat, I had to brag.
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 11:47 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
108 posts, read 209,822 times
Reputation: 77
I usually go to New Orleans or Las Vegas during Christmas to enjoy the sites and gamble a little bit to pass the time. Christmas in San Antonio can be so depressing lights or no lights on the Riverwalk it is still the same thing. My wife's birthday is December 26th and I asked her wanted she wanted (can't surprise her) she said nothing as long as I spend Christmas somewhere else and just save the money instead of a gift for gambling cash. Casino's have their drawbacks but they also have live entertainment, buffets, lavish rooms, bars that have a nice ambience. We would need more than one casino since tourists would over crowd that casino especially during peak seasons. This casino question has been coming up more frequently hopefully there are enough proponents to pass a vote If it ever comes to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2011, 12:44 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
1,097 posts, read 1,798,542 times
Reputation: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyonthursSA View Post
I went to Vegas last year and I fell in love with casino atmosphere while I was there. I wish we had a casino here (but i know that will never happen). Isn't the closest one in Eagle Pass?
We need to right people in office to make it work. Its kinda sad that twice a year I take my hard earned money out of state to spend it. If they had casinos in Texas then I wouldn't be going to Vegas and other states.

The same people who are against it are probably at some bingo hall right about now scratching their lottery scratch off's while betting a friend on next weeks cowboys game.

I think eventually it will come....maybe within the next 10-15 years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top