Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2011, 09:54 AM

381 posts, read 764,516 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, does anyone have a KB home in this community by the way? We loved the views from there, they are not in the flood plains, they are affordable , there are cops living in the neighborhood which we love, and the clay content there is low. So any issues? I put $500 of earnest money on a llot but I can pull back still. Thanks. The plasticity index is way below 60 btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 11:37 AM

7,105 posts, read 11,739,873 times
There is no way - none - that I would ever live in another KB home. It may look good, but they wrote the book on building the cheapest possible way, and know shortcuts that most would never dream of using.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:49 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,766,387 times
After a little trashing around of the grey matter, it dawned on me that this is not in Bexar County or Comal but is in Guadalupe County. Expect any police response time to be slow as you are on the fringe of their service area unless they've recently added a substation in the area. In regards to soil conditions, you can go on the Dept of Agriculture's website and research the soil conditions. That area is rated as HeD3 which is the Heiden Clay strata. I've attached the USDA's website and a linky to the soil reports out of Comal County for you to look at. The soil report from Comal County that is pertinent to your research is on Pg 26, Properties of Heiden HeD3 soils. I think as long as you remember that it is imperative that the foundation MUST be watered weekly, you should be okay. But a lot of that is in the depends department. Like it depends on who designed the slab and what measures, if any, they took to stabilize the soil under the slab and the actual beamage and depth of the slab. When I worked for them, there was no consideration for soil conditions and that won't work in that area. But they have made a lot of changes at KB since I was there. If you get to see any slabs going in out there, check the depth and size of the beamage. If it looks deep, deeper than 24" and wider than 10", they are apparently using an engineered slab for the area. My expectations would be a minimum 30" depth and a 12" beam at 12' spacing.

Web Soil Survey - Home
http://soildatamart.nrcs.usda.gov/Ma...malandHays.pdf

Old 12-21-2011, 02:17 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,648,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
There is no way - none - that I would ever live in another KB home. It may look good, but they wrote the book on building the cheapest possible way, and know shortcuts that most would never dream of using.

Agreed.....KB homes are the biggest garbage homes that can be built. Easily worst builders in the business. Never again!

Old 01-03-2012, 07:00 PM

I pulled out of the deal and went with Ryland homes in silver oaks 78254 near alamo ranch. They offered to pay $4,500 towards closing cost and my realtor gave me back $1500 towards closing cost also. They have all of their upgrades for half off too, which is way better than what KB is offering which is absolutely no incentives. The Ryland homes look way better too. Also my wife's cousin only lives about two blocks from our lot. Wish me luck.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:12 PM

952 posts, read 2,620,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by en28so View Post
I pulled out of the deal and went with Ryland homes in silver oaks 78254 near alamo ranch. They offered to pay $4,500 towards closing cost and my realtor gave me back $1500 towards closing cost also. They have all of their upgrades for half off too, which is way better than what KB is offering which is absolutely no incentives. The Ryland homes look way better too. Also my wife's cousin only lives about two blocks from our lot. Wish me luck.

nice one! $6000 for closing costs

congrats

Old 01-03-2012, 08:50 PM

Have you met yer Ryland builder yet? Mind if I ask who it is? Lots of technologies in a Ryland Home. You need to be asking questions in regards to the A/C system and hot water at showers and dishwasher. You need to be familiar with the Houseworks Systems they use. I believe they still have buyers orientations during the evening hours at the office once a month. If so, make sure to go, you'll learn a lot about the buying and building process. Ryland San Antonio builds a pretty decent house, you're on yer way home!

Old 01-03-2012, 11:44 PM

Hey Mr trapper, I have not met the construction manager yet( is that what you mean by builder?). But don't worry, I will soon since I just signed the contract yesterday. I already have the design center for Tuesday morning and I think I will meet with him after that. I'm planning to go to the construction site at least once or twice a week to keep an eye on things( I think that may be enough) and I'm getting my own home inspector. Now when is it that I have to get the inspector involved? when they pour the foundation? when they begin the framing? or when they finish the house?(I think this one is a given). I will be doing a final walk through with Ryland, my real estate agent and my inspector when the home is finished. I did ask for a soil report and the PI was between 12 and 52. I want to thank all of you guys in here for helping me with my home buying decisions, especially to Mr Trapper who is an expert in this matter. It's funny because the builder and my agent told me that they never have been asked questions like: hey what is the PI index? can I have my own inspector involved in the building process?. I also noticed a couple of houses being built, and the workmanship looks good. They also use lots of wood in the framing process I believe, which reminds me of how the Newleaf homes are being built and that is a good thing to me. Happy new year!

Old 01-04-2012, 07:48 AM

Your inspector needs to do his first inspection at slab pour. This will be when the forms are up, sewer and the potable water link installed. backfill, and all cables are in and secure. Just before they pour the concrete. He'll need the plans to the house so be prepared to have him met with the builder to take a look at them. I doubt they let him have a set but they should let him look at the construction trailer- that's normal in the industry. He can take notes with him.

He'll need to reinspect when the frame is finished, the plumbing is in, electrical is roughed in, A/C system is roughed in, windows are in, exterior doors, hot water heater, tubs are set, any siding is on and the roof felted in and loaded or shingles applied, just before they insulate.

He needs to be there a couple of hours before you are to do your H/O orientation. This gives him time to take a look and develop a list before you and the builder do the orientation. It'll save you and everybody time.

Looks like yer on yer way! Remember that the Design Center is a profit center for the builder. If it's an option I suggest steel tubs, avoid the fiberglas ones. Up grade the pad but not the carpet. A good pad makes even cheap carpet look rich and the carpet will not last as long as the loan. Avoid upgrading any appliances. You'll be paying for those for the next 30 years and they won't last that long. You can upgrade later. Whatever you roll into the loan in selects will cost you for the next 30 years PLUS interest.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:18 PM

Signed all the paperwork, and just waiting for final approval. What a mission this is. I can't wait to put my feet up in the air in my new home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio