U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2011, 09:59 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,172,409 times

Advertisements

Hello, as some of you may know my family and I are looking to sell our house in MD and when that sells we are looking to buy here in SA.
We've been under contract with an agent there, but we haven't been happy with the results or her communication.
The contract ends on Dec 31st. We had planned on going with someone else after that.
Here's where it gets suspicious for us. After months of no interest in the home she calls us this week and tells us she had an open house; she has an interested party but they don't want to do anything until after the new year.
She wants us to renew until July so she can keep the listing active.
Now, if she did get this lead and it turns into something we want to make sure she gets her commission for doing the work. We just don't want to be stuck with her if it's something she is making up or is minor interest that turns into nothing.
It just seems like really suspicious timing to us.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 10:33 AM

363 posts, read 653,086 times
I believe you can fire your realtor at any time but I've never had to do it. Maybe give her 2 weeks into the new year? I know a great one if you need a new realtor DM me.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:09 PM

437 posts, read 776,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SsnTktHldr View Post
I believe you can fire your realtor at any time but I've never had to do it. Maybe give her 2 weeks into the new year? I know a great one if you need a new realtor DM me.
The house they're selling is in MD; that's where they would need a new agent.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:27 PM

437 posts, read 776,221 times
Why is she asking for half a year? Seems excessive to me. You could consider giving her a couple of weeks to get the property under contract. There may also be a way for her to "claim" that particular buyer and get the commission even if you don't re-list with her, but MD may have different rules so you'd have to ask on the MD forum or ask an agent in MD.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:22 PM

4,149 posts, read 9,303,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
Hello, as some of you may know my family and I are looking to sell our house in MD and when that sells we are looking to buy here in SA.
We've been under contract with an agent there, but we haven't been happy with the results or her communication.
The contract ends on Dec 31st. We had planned on going with someone else after that.
Here's where it gets suspicious for us. After months of no interest in the home she calls us this week and tells us she had an open house; she has an interested party but they don't want to do anything until after the new year.
She wants us to renew until July so she can keep the listing active.
Now, if she did get this lead and it turns into something we want to make sure she gets her commission for doing the work. We just don't want to be stuck with her if it's something she is making up or is minor interest that turns into nothing.
It just seems like really suspicious timing to us.

Any advice?
Real estate law is local. Consult someone there. That being said, it's not uncommon right now for people to wait until the holidays die down to move forward on purchases. People are still buying now, but many do wait.

Talk to her about a one time showing agreement for that client. You can negotiate anything you want.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:05 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,172,409 times
Thanks for the advice everyone.
I suppose the smart thing would have been to ask on the local forum for that area. I've just never been there so it hadn't occurred to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio