U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 02:17 PM

98 posts, read 301,495 times

Advertisements

Can anyone comment on the traffic from Helotes to Ft Sam during rush hour and the best routes to take and the drive down 281 to Ft Sam? We are looking at purchasing a home in either Iron Horse Canyon in Helotes, or Mountain Lodge in Stone Oak. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 02:49 PM

37 posts, read 56,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdobie73 View Post
Can anyone comment on the traffic from Helotes to Ft Sam during rush hour and the best routes to take and the drive down 281 to Ft Sam? We are looking at purchasing a home in either Iron Horse Canyon in Helotes, or Mountain Lodge in Stone Oak. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated

Thoughts:

You made the right choice by living in Helotes or Stone Oak. Those two areas are seemingly immune to rest of the trashy behavior seen in the rest of San Antonio. Again, congrats on choosing wisely.

Suggestions:

Drive cautiously and give yourself plenty of time to travel the 281. That freeway is a beast.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:40 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,105,449 times
I just spent two separate weeks commuting to Ft Sam from the Helotes area for work. I took Braun to Bandera Road, then 410 to Wurzbach. Another route was taking 1604 to IH-10, taking it all the way into town then going up Broadway to the Wilson St entrance. It wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't want to do it all the time.

However, if you end up in Stone Oak then you will have to constantly battle traffic on 281 going to and from Ft Sam. I don't see any alternatives unless you take 410 to Wurzbach instead of staying on 281 all the way into town.

Cheers! M2

Old 12-23-2011, 04:30 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,505,752 times
You couldn't pay me to live in either of those places and commute to ft Sam. You should be looking at Alamo heights, Terrell hills, oak park, northwood or oakwell farm. All five are top notch neighborhoods with good if not excellent schools along with easy commutes to ft sam. Who ever recommended stone oak or helotes is not really familiar with the area.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:53 PM

270 posts, read 843,440 times
I live in Stone Oak and travel for work every day down 281 to downtown. I leave at 7 am and hardly have any "bad" traffic in the morning...approx. 25-30 mins. The afternoon is a different story. If I leave by 4:30, it's not too bad (maybe 35 mins.), but anytime after 4:30 and you're looking at a minimum of 45 mins. on 281.
I understand the disdain some might have for the "suburbia" that is Stone Oak. I used to live in Terrell Hills, but now appreciate the lifestlye here in SO. Once I'm home, I have everything I could need/want within a 5 mile radius...shopping, entertainment, church, etc.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:16 PM

500 posts, read 796,784 times
I live in Bulverde, and agree 100% with the poster above. If you leave Mountain Lodge at or before 7am, your commute is 30 minutes. After that, leave an additional 15 minutes for traffic. In the afternoon, traffic starts picking up around 4pm, and doesn't let up until 7pm.

My wife and I have a retail store in Alamo Heights, and wouldn't dream of giving up our home in the Hill Country. We think it's worth the extra time on the road.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:53 AM

Thanks everyone!

Well we're coming from San Diego, so we're used to traffic. Husband leaves at 0430 to be at work by 0630. I'm blessed in that I can leave my house at 0730 and be at work by 0800

My stepkids live in Helotes, so that's the reason we're considering that area, plus the lots tend to be a bit larger. I like the Stone Oak area because of the schools and the close proximity to shops and restaurants.

I can do 30 minutes, but I start whining after that!

Old 12-25-2011, 12:16 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,105,449 times
We love the Helotes area, and if your husband is used to early morning commutes than getting to Ft Sam won't be an issue. I was leaving around 0600 and was getting there without much traffic easily within 30-40 minutes. Even coming home wasn't an issue, I snuck out via the Old Austin Road gate near Old BAMC and took Pershing over to New Braunfels then up to E. Hildebrand all the way over to IH-10W. My GPS routed me that way, so it must've been the preferred route.

Once on Ten, I did deviate from the GPS recommendation (much to Bitchin' Betty's disdain! ) and scooted off at UTSA Blvd and caught Hausman west to Helotes. It was never that bad, and I avoided the 'death race' and congestion on 1604.

You'll like Helotes, lots of shopping and good restaurants nearby; and the Old Town area has some nice shops nearby (I do a lot of Christmas shopping there!). Plus, you are at the edge of the Hill Country, and can easily be away from the hustle and bustle of the suburban sprawl within minutes. Government Canyon, the second largest state natural area in Texas, is close by and Medina Lake is about a half hour or so away. There are a lot of other interesting places and things to do nearby as well!

Also, the schools are just as good if not better than the ones in Stone Oak. NISD is doing a little bit better than NEISD, but both are great school districts!

Good luck with your search, if you need help with a realtor let me know and I will DM the info of a good one that helped us when we PCS'd here from Belgium. He's helped a lot of military families relocating to San Antonio find homes...

Cheers! M2

Old 01-10-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flourpower View Post
I live in Stone Oak and travel for work every day down 281 to downtown. I leave at 7 am and hardly have any "bad" traffic in the morning...approx. 25-30 mins. The afternoon is a different story. If I leave by 4:30, it's not too bad (maybe 35 mins.), but anytime after 4:30 and you're looking at a minimum of 45 mins. on 281.
I understand the disdain some might have for the "suburbia" that is Stone Oak. I used to live in Terrell Hills, but now appreciate the lifestlye here in SO. Once I'm home, I have everything I could need/want within a 5 mile radius...shopping, entertainment, church, etc.

My work hours are going to be 7:30am to 4:00 pm. From Mountain Lodge to Fort Sam would be about 30 minutes commute?

Old 01-10-2012, 05:15 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,291,155 times
On a Sunday maybe..

I lived in San Diego for most of the 90s and that commute is a pleasure compared to the drivers here. At least there you can go pretty much as fast as you want without some entitled do-gooder/wannabe cop blocking you in the left lane. Come for a visit, you'll see exactly what I mean...

BTW, I'm guessing this is a military family? Can't see any other reason why a sane person would leave paradise for what I'll simply call not even in the same universe as paradise...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio