Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 05:10 PM

6 posts, read 7,163 times

Advertisements

I'm considering on moving to San Antonio for college (St. Phillips)that has a specific program. There are a few schools here in CA but it's either the city they are in are just boring they just don't interest me or its just way to expensive to live. Where is a nice place to stay thats affordable and "safe" I mean every city has good and bad parts.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-05-2012 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: Your 2 additional posts-moving frm CA-SA --have been merged into this one thread - no need to make new ones on same subject
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 05:13 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,884,909 times
St. Philip's College is not in the best part of town. It can be iffy depending on a specic street. You do not mention budget or desires for transportation or other needs. It's a big wide world and you need to be more specific if you can.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
St. Philip's College is not in the best part of town. It can be iffy depending on a specic street. You do not mention budget or desires for transportation or other needs. It's a big wide world and you need to be more specific if you can.
hmm well ill have a car and wouldn't mind a little commute. And i'm looking for an apartment between $400/500-$700

Old 12-29-2011, 09:30 AM

790 posts, read 1,880,863 times
ShaneSA is right -- St Phillips is not in the best part of town. I would venture that most people on CD have not been in that area. (I have driven past St Phillips many, many times and it didn't bother me, but I was always there during the day).

If you don't mind a commute, I'd still focus on apartments in the North Central part of San Antonio. You might be able to find something in the $600 to $700 range. I personally wouldn't go into the $400 to $500 range, as I think that might be too low a rent for a reputable, decent place.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:36 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times
I graduated from St Philip's College a few years back. The campus is a good campus for either 2+2 program or vocational programs. Depending on the program, there may be a waiting list. Your apartment search would most likely concentrate in areas in Northeast SA or North Central. A apartment locator would help.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:15 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Remember to budget for utilities too, when figuring out how much rent you can afford. And to get an apartment here, you usually have to make three times the rent or have someone cosign for you who makes seven times the rent. It's cheaper to live here but jobs are probably not going to pay as well as they do in California.

If you live with your parents now, it might make more sense to find somewhere local to go to school so you can minimize your living expenses while in school. The out-of-state tuition is a lot higher at St. Phillips than it is for residents in the district (because part of our property taxes goes to the college district). For example, if I took 15 hours, my tuition and fees would be $975. If you came here from CA and took 15 hours, your tuition and fees would be $5175. That's a lot to pay for tuition at a community college.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:04 AM

Question Any advice? Thinking of moving from CA to San Antonio

Well I'm a 20 year old and thinking of moving from CA to TX (San Antonio) for school and just to throw myself out there into something new and out of my comfort zone if you will. I think it'd be easier if I were going to go to a big university living in a dorm and what not but i'm not, i'm going to attend a community college for a specific program (which would be cheaper there than going a different city here in California). I do have a close friend there so she should help me a lot. She pointed out the better part of town to me. But i'm getting a bit frustrated, maybe i'm over thinking it, I need some advice please.
  1. Where should I really start
  2. I've narrowed down the area to move to
  3. I looked into the vehicle/license aspect a bit. Would it be cheaper to sell my car there and buy a used one there then to register it there and all that?
  4. what would be a reasonable amount to actually save
  5. should I get myself settled and get a job before going to school?
  6. jobs,insurance anything else i need to worry about when moving to a new city/state
I'd appreciate any advice

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-05-2012 at 06:21 PM..

Old 01-05-2012, 06:09 AM

93 posts, read 95,055 times
Make sure you have a job secured before making any move and are you ready for the heat? It's a long,hot summer here. 5 months worth.

2 out of the last 4 summers have been horrid (think 60+ days over 100 degrees).

Old 01-05-2012, 09:38 AM

291 posts, read 607,892 times
have at least a couple of months worths of expenses saved up before you move.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:57 AM

581 posts, read 1,187,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS91 View Post
Well I'm a 20 year old and thinking of moving from CA to San Antonio for school and just to throw myself out there into something new and out of my comfort zone if you will. I think it'd be easier if I were going to go to a big university living in a dorm and what not but i'm not, i'm going to attend a community college for a specific program (which would be cheaper there than going a different city here in California). I do have a close friend there so she should help me a lot. She pointed out the better part of town to me. But i'm getting a bit frustrated, maybe i'm over thinking it, I need some advice please.
  1. Where should I really start
  2. I've narrowed down the area to move to
  3. I looked into the vehicle/license aspect a bit. Would it be cheaper to sell my car there and buy a used one there then to register it there and all that?
  4. what would be a reasonable amount to actually save before going
  5. should I get myself settled and get a job before going to school?
  6. jobs,insurance anything else i need to worry about when moving to a new city/state
I'd appreciate any advice

1. Work, work, work. Make sure you have a job lined up. Even if you're planning to apply to a specific program, still have one. Now, i don't know if community colleges are the same as the universities that charge you more if you're an out of town applicant. If this program is, you may want to wait until you have a local address to apply to you get charged as such. But if they don't, then make sure you've applied and been accepted into the program.
2. I would live closer to your work and/or school. Since you'll be going back and forth, might help to be closer.
3. I don't have any advice on the car thing. I'm sorry. But I know it's hard out there, finance wise, so you might not get what you're hoping for your car so I would research for your car model/make, like on resell websites, to see how much they're going for, in both Texas and Cali.
4. I would save as much as possible. If you think it's enough, double it. You're moving to a different state and possibly from your support system, be as smart as possible. Just save everything!
5. Depending on where you work, you may be able to get insurance as a part-timer. But it depends on what you want to do, work FT while in school or PT and hope you get some financial aid.

I hope it works out for you. I've also had to move states at various times, for schooling in and out of the Army, so I know it sucks to be overthinking but think of the basic things you'll need and get those covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: