U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 10:10 AM

21 posts, read 33,109 times

Advertisements

I would definitely not consider any move without having a job lined up first. That is my first consideration.

In terms of city lifestyle vs country lifestyle, I would much prefer coming home to a laid back country lifestyle. My intention is to work hard during the day and then relax with my family at the end of the day. I do not want to get stressed out with traffic if I need to run to the grocery store (or liquor store )... sounds like Boerne is a better option.

How are the athletic programs in Boerne? One of my sons is big into baseball and my oldest is into music (drums). The jury is still out on the 2 year old, but I think he will be a sports kid too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 10:15 AM

5,621 posts, read 6,402,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPCupstate View Post
I would definitely not consider any move without having a job lined up first. That is my first consideration.

In terms of city lifestyle vs country lifestyle, I would much prefer coming home to a laid back country lifestyle. My intention is to work hard during the day and then relax with my family at the end of the day. I do not want to get stressed out with traffic if I need to run to the grocery store (or liquor store )... sounds like Boerne is a better option.

How are the athletic programs in Boerne? One of my sons is big into baseball and my oldest is into music (drums). The jury is still out on the 2 year old, but I think he will be a sports kid too.
I do think Boerne is your best best as far as living in San Antonio area.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:44 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,232,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPCupstate View Post

OP I am a grade A NYer from NYC through and through. I moved to Texas a few years back and been in Boerne for two years now. If you are coming from Upstate NY I do not see a huge problem with you moving to Boerne. You will find it just as quaint as some of the towns that line the Hudson. Given Texas only has two seasons Hotter than Hades and Hot with occasional cold fronts but that aside, Boerne is a cracking little town that I do love.

During year there are plenty of town happenings such as the Berges Festival and Fathers Day Parade, Christmas time has Dickens on Main and the Night Time Christmas Parade. The library has kids groups that I have seen plenty of moms take part in especially if they are stay at home. Boerne is very active in sports and my neighbors seem to be at a majority of kids games during the fall and spring months.

As for shopping, MrsTxCop stated you are only a short distance to the Rim for shopping and La Cantera as well. And if you do get bored and want the occasional city on lite you can go into SA for the River Walk or just a walk around or Austin.

As for taxes we are averaging out at $4052 annually on a 3 bedroom house worth about 203k but in return we are getting a laid back town that loves community and great schools.

For traffic it is nothing, really nothing in comparison to SA or to NYC. You do get the ones who never use a signal to turn or can't figure out whose turn is it at the stop sign but you get use to it. And most if not all of the traffic problems are trying to find a spot at the new HEB Plus supermarket.

I wish you all the best in your endeavor and if you decide to move. Good luck.

Mrs. X

Old 01-02-2012, 05:47 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,167,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
As for taxes we are averaging out at $4052 annually on a 3 bedroom house worth about 203k but in return we are getting a laid back town that loves community and great schools.
That's why we're seriously looking in Boerne.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:49 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,232,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
That's why we're seriously looking in Boerne.
Nah you just want to move for the beer on Fathers Day!

Old 01-02-2012, 05:53 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,167,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Nah you just want to move for the beer on Fathers Day!
LOL okay, okay... that may have had something to do with it!

Old 01-02-2012, 07:56 PM

1,365 posts, read 3,967,601 times
I don't have much info on Boerne athletics yet...

Our son has been playing Tball but we had him in a Little League Association, which Boerne does not have, so we were taking him to Helotes, as far as we are from Helotes, that is where we were zoned for Little League... We barely made the cut to participate due to zoning...

However, this season, we are going to put him in BYAA, Boerne Youth Athletics Association... It is not a Little League, it is a Pony League... Here is a link if you want to check it out...
BYAA.NET

Old 01-02-2012, 07:58 PM

21 posts, read 33,109 times
Thanks for all the great information. Need to plan a visit soon and get that job lined up.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:54 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,317,749 times
This is Texas, athletics is a religion. LOL. I was a music teacher for a while in Boerne ISD, and the music program is quite good.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:38 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,813 posts, read 33,115,376 times
Starting today, traffic is about to be a 2-year nightmare, as widening takes place on I-10 between 1604 and Huebner Rd. That's likely to be part of your commute from Boerne to any employer in NW or downtown SA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or